Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Is a Trans Am a Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 01:36 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, is the Trans Am a Firebird?

By now there is a consensus in this thread that yes, it is. But, I'm going to buck the trend. The answer is yes it is, AND, no, it isn't.

The above example of someone calling a Formula a Camaro is case in point. What's the difference, really, between the Firebird and the Camaro? A "body kit" (for all practical intents and purposes), some interior equipment, and some suspension equipment. That's it.

Well, it just so happens that that is the difference between the Firebird and the Trans Am as well.

Now, people who would mix up the Chevy and Pontiac are rare, even the most non-car people I know, know the difference as far as what to call each. However, if one argues that the T/A is a Firebird, then those who *do* mix up the Chevy and Pontiac, are also correct.

Another thing to look at - If you talk to most people with at least a modicum of interest in cars and you talk about a Camaro, they think of 1 thing. Talk about a Firebird, they think of another thing. But that's it, *1* other thing. Talk about a Forumula, and they again, think of something else. Ditto the T/A. There is never any confusion. As soon as you say "Firebird" the slow, V6, base front end and mustang-y spoiler come to mind. The only real confusion would come from "Formula" as that's rare and even today kind of underground (it seems at least).

Now, granted, Pontiac does call the T/A a Firebird. Ok.....and? So what if *they* call all the cars by 1 name? It is a corporation remember. US corporate management is stupid - universally, across the board. _And_, they often do things to save money as well. It might sound pointless, but using 1 word to talk about an entire line of cars really does save money and time (which is money) in the long run. Even if it's not much. (about "not much", one airline saved cash by taking a couple of peanuts out of each bag....they worry about the miniscule stuff) The bottom line really is what the true differences are, and from Camaro to Firebird, it's the same as Firebird to Trans Am. Which just shows that it doesn't matter what the divisions call them.

So yeah, they are the same.....in the same sense that the Grand National era Regal was the same as the Cutlass Supreme of the time. But in just the same way, they really are *not* the same thing.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

There are 2 option packages to a firebird. Trans am and formula. Both are firebirds
Old 11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, so i'm right, Pontiac Firebird Trans Am....thanks guys
Old 11-27-2004, 02:36 AM
Launching!

nono no sorry but the grand national was a grand national it had a totally different option list than a regal. on the title and insurance it said grand national I know I had one and I had to look at the title and insurance paperwork when it got stolen. I tried to pass it off as a regal to my insurance company(geico) and as soon as I read them the vin they said nope it is a grand national and my insurance went through the roof. I was not happy. Anyway to end it I love my ws6 even though Pontiac considers it a firebird.
Old 11-27-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you look up my '99 on CARFAX, it lists it by VIN# as a Trams Am Firebird made in Canada.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:39 AM
Teching In

in 67 the firebird came out. pontiacs pony killer. ford came up with boss, mach 1,ect over the years to make a faster model for the hot rodders. pontiac did the same thing when the trans am became an OPTION for the firebird in 69 i beleive. it was faster and looked better than the base model. over the years they did the same as ford, coming up with trans am GTA or trans am WS6.
and my uncle has the black 92 1/2 firebird formula that introduced the 4th generation (under 200 made i think) he bought it brand new and it says firebird on the doors and formula V8 on the rear bumper in white.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

I don't care how people refer to my Hawk. I just call it a Firebird. Non-car people could care less. You guys that spend time correcting indifferent non-car people as to the identity of a car remind me of a girl that I used to know in High School. Ocassionally she would drive her father's Ferrarri. When anyone referredf to her car as a "Ferrarri", she would quickly correct them and say "It's not a Ferrarri, its a Ferrarri Testarossa." Seemed petty then, seems petty now.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
TECH Addict

Board's FULL of educated answers. That was pretty shallow. The guy who owns this thread has a grand total of 16 posts and a lot of experienced people here were trying to answer this new dudes question ... to be helpful. The people in this thread are hardly non-car people, including the newb. Respect the guys quest for knowledge - remember - we ALL were there at one point-in-time.

You used the term 'you guys' like you're in a higher category than all of us members who were trying to help this guy ... sounded pretty arrogant. The members here are good people and I'm sure you have a lot of good in you, as well. We all will help you, as well, unless you're one of those guys who knows more than everyone else. Even then I'll bet that most here will STILL help you ... including me. If this offends you, it's not meant to do so and I would certainly have a message for you.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

My "you guys" was not directed to everyone. It was directed to the people that feel the need to correct the guy at the grocery store or the parts store or liquor store or wherever because someone referred to their ride as a Firebird instead of a Trans Am. To me that's arrogant. They should be happy anyone acknowledged the car at all. If someone comes up to me and says "hey nice firebird" I'll say "thanks a lot". I won't feel offended nor compelled to give a 20 minute diatribe about my firebird being a Trans Am Firehawk.

DISCLAIMER: I do realize I'd somewhat deviated from the question originally posed, as that was a legitimate question. However, his question had been asked and answered long before I posted my response and I thought my story had some relevance to the topic at hand.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:09 PM
TECH Addict

The way it was written, it seems to indicate the opposite of what you just expressed ... my apologies if I miscommunicated your post ... in all sincerity.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

This thread sorta sounds like the SRT-4 Forum, "where their SRT-4 is not a neon"
Old 12-13-2004, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

No apology necessary. If anything, I owe you for serving our country.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:56 PM
TECH Addict

I served proudly because of guys and gals like you. If life's circumstances had directed you to the same career, I am sure you would have served proudly, as well. It takes a good heart to be a good soldier ... 'nuff said. With that said, it's great to have friends like you here.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by firecrotch59
This thread sorta sounds like the SRT-4 Forum, "where their SRT-4 is not a neon"
Our Trans-AM's and Firehawk's are Firebirds. The same as an SRT-4 is a NEON.
Old 12-15-2004, 05:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
Our Trans-AM's and Firehawk's are Firebirds. The same as an SRT-4 is a NEON.
No kiddin'?!?
Really?

I had no idea, I didn't read all the previous pages to figure this one out, so I'm glad all I simply had to read was the last post.

(Sarcasm noted in all my comments above, don't take it personal, I'm jus' kiddin', ... Jus' surprised this thread is still alive after all these months, ... )

Thread started in May 2004, ...
Old 12-15-2004, 11:07 PM
TECH Regular

Well the thing is, I don't really understand why this is a debate. Our cars always start life as a Firebird and along the way are added to. Made different. But obviously they come from the basic Firebird.

The SRT-4 is still a piece of junk Neon. No matter how you slice it.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:08 PM
Staging Lane

in my opinion there is a distinct different between the firebird, formula and trans am.. but in the car insurance world and so on firebird refers to all of the above.
the firebird is also in my opinion the category of the car... then u go into the subdivisions of formula and trans am...

hey guys dont get deffensive if someone calls ur trans am a firebird... the pheonix still represents us all! lol...get defenseive if ure called a mustang! LOL
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Well, like I said, if it's a firebird, then it's also a camaro. The differences between each of them are basically the same.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
For 93+ cars, all a Trans Am is, is just an RPO code for an equipment and body package thats it.
Its the Same with the 3rd gens. When the formula Came back in 87 there was nothing diferent between the Formula and the Trans Am cept for appearance. You could get the same engines etc.
and i think the full proper name is Pontiac Firebird Trans Am ws-6
Old 01-17-2005, 09:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Yes.

Originally Posted by F-Bodeee
I have an ongoing spat w/ a friend of mine who believes that the Trans am is not a Firebird. It is just called a Trans Am, not a Firebird Trans Am. I know there are Firebirds and Firebird Formulas, but its also Firebird Trans Am, right? I don't think Pontiac Trans Am sounds right. Pontiac Firebird Trans Am sounds right. Sorry for the lame topic but please help clear the fog.
The F-BODY V6 and V8's are all FIREBIRDS,
This is how it is as follows >
F-BODY V6 pontiac firebird
F-BODY V8 pontiac firebird formula
F-BODY V8 pontiac firebird transam
This is the firebird lineup from pontiac with the transam being the flagship.

Quick Reply: Is a Trans Am a Firebird?