Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Darth Vader Steam Rollin the Haters while getting his hate walk on

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Darth Vader Steam Rollin the Haters while getting his hate walk on

Long ago in a city far far away there was a 2001 Pontiac Trans Am owned by some random old dude and purchased and service locally. That Trans Am was a based model 6 speed manual sleek beak. Black with ebony interior and monsoon sound system. The old man tired of doing the Kessel Run in 14 parsecs and traded in the TA for a larger freighter at Saratoga Nissan.

Saratoga Nissan then sent the bird of to the darkest depths of New Hampshire. To live free or die. That is where I came in with this dumpy whip.

It was a good whip but I swa overly tired with the nonstop silly repairs that the car needed, the never ending glove of the CEL light and how slow the car still was with turbo back exhaust and other supporting mods. So I scoured the cosmos for the correct cheap, fun easy to repair sports car. I know I thought a 930 Porsche 911. After the acid wore off I was looking at New Edge Mustangs possibly Cobras but after months of searching and finding nothing but horribly untastefully modded cars that would require more money and parts to return the cars back to their former glory than was worth it I became to look at TAs and C5 Corvettes. I found that most of the C5s were either in perfect condition, babied, coddled and therefore way over priced or they were 5 revolutions from spitting their guts all over the ground.

I come across cars.com and a silly little search turns up my current Trans Am. A trade in at a truck center in the middle of nowhere New Hampshire. Financable but sold as is as seen. Hmmmm. Car fax search, car is local and literally just traded out there. One owner. No accidents, all maintenance recorded and bone stock. Call about it, the dude is sketchy, "AS is" is in every sentence he says. They have not inspected or touched the car and will not. He just wants a quick sale. Come out with a trailed or try driving it back today, no plates no registration? we'll look the other way. I drive out, 3 codes lean bank 2, bank 2 o2 sensor, bank 2 o2 sensor pending. They also believe a Misfire, 2 bad wheel bearings and no signals or parking lights work.

I at this point am pretty sure I know all the problems. Set up trade in for Audi and offer $6295 for the TA. Deal. I come back 3 days later with a tool back, a chisel and plates insurance and registration. Hop in baby her to the next gas station. Slap in half a tank of premium and octane booster, let the car idle for a bit while it plug the rear o2 back in. Take my chisel and scrape the peeled pieces of chrome off the shitty factory ABS wheels to get rid of the "bad wheel bearings". I got to replace the DRL bulbs.... damn its not just bulbs the sockets are fucked. No signals for the ride home 188 miles. Brakes are shakey. Tires are flat spotted. 50 miles in she is riding smooth, running strong.

Get the car home and immediately deep clean the absolutely disgusting and mold filled interior. Pulled the radio get that working again, fix the DRL sockets pulled the DRL module and disconnect the DRL part.

Plan my build.

Purchase all the items and parts I need to redo the clogged and holey PVC system.
Score an SLP loudmouth system for cheap and add corsa clones because the SLP tips look awful.

Replace rotors, pads and all brake hardware. Calipers appear to be fairly new.

Buy VFN WSQ hood to get this thing some ram air. Paint will be done over this winter by none other than the great Dave Singleton if he doesn't become to famous for us locals.

I also purchased the SLP ram air pack and installed that as well.

Parts I have purchased that will go in over the winter are as follows:
Tubular rear LCAs
On-car adjustable PHB
Rear LCA relocation brackets
STAGG shocks and struts
Vogtland springs
C6 Z06 wheels 18x9.5 rep fronts and real OEM 19x12 rears
Cooper Zeon RS-3 325/30/19

Parts needed:
Small spacer for rear clearancing
Front tires (235/40/18?)
Hood paint
Wheel powder coat
WS6 lower airbox

Decisions needed to be made that I keep waffling on are wheel color

or

All black would be mean looking but I at times do not like all black wheels. Gunmetal is always a great look on any car. Both would be gloss, matte is too much of a hassle to keep clean.

Everyone hates this car because I went from luxury cars to a redneck mobile, I think it is a super fun car to drive. Love the sound. It's fast enough for me for now and once I get it put together in spring for next summer it should be an attractive car with a decent suspension set up and plenty of traction.
Old 11-21-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Nice find. I will say theres nothing more I hate than Vette wheels on an F-body though. The absolute worst IMO is a staggered setup. If your dead set on that at least run 275/35/18s up front. The 19x12 might need some serious BFH and rolling of the fenders. I like the gunmetal spiders and BBK on your second picture.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

hey nice ta,maybe ill get to meet up at a show or cruise this year, i have a 99 formula and my bro has a 00 firehawk , located in Amsterdam . Read threads by you on shift .
Old 11-21-2014, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

I'm not a huge fan of the corvette wheels either honestly but I am also at a loss until is see my car more finished as to what will look better. Not torque thrusts that's for damn sure. I love front rear stagger on a car with the correct rake. My old car ran 18x9.5 front with 20x10 rears

The 19x12s will fit fine with my suspension mods, some bump stop work, a small spacer and a little tapping.

IDK where i will go with wheels though. Maybe forgelines or advones. I'll be happy with the z06 wheels for now though. they look a lot better than the peeling chrome ABS wheels
Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Two brands of wheels that are probably worth more than the car. I always like suggesting Forgestars to people looking for a wheel thats affordable but 10x better than Vette wheels. Some of my favorite examples of wheels on black birds.

CCW LM20's

CCW 505a's

Iforged Senekas

Fikse FM5's

Forgestars on an SS
Old 11-22-2014, 03:14 AM
12 Second Club

Nice find. And great write up on the backstory. IMO the gunmetal would look great. Or a diff wheel in black with polished lip is simply perfect on these cars in black. Looking forward to updates
Old 11-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Staging Lane

I have a small pet peeve about black with polished lip cars lol

Question:

The vogtland springs are not a huge drop. I believe 1.2/1.2 can't remember I have them on a shelf in the garage for a while now. I am re doing most of the suspension already, but with that drop will I need to be concerned about pinion angle much. This is a street car not a race car. Traction should be a huge concern specifically in this category because 325s and LCA relocation and its not going to be a 600hp car probably ever. SO how necessary would an adjustable torque arm be?
Old 11-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Launching!

I'm looking for different wheels also, Previous owner got rid of the stock Firehawk wheels and I have the crappy ABS wheels also.

Sometimes I'm going black, sometimes the shiny polished/chrome, is what I think I want.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What is going on with the passenger seat upholstery? It looks weirdly wrinkled and shiny.
Old 11-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
I'm looking for different wheels also, Previous owner got rid of the stock Firehawk wheels and I have the crappy ABS wheels also.

Sometimes I'm going black, sometimes the shiny polished/chrome, is what I think I want.
The ABS wheels are awful. They oxidize so easily and pretty much straight up rot and fall apart

Originally Posted by chaman
What is going on with the passenger seat upholstery? It looks weirdly wrinkled and shiny.
The passengers seat was dry to border line cracking. That is after I had just cleaned the entire interior. I had soaked the seat in a ton of leather conditioner to try and bring back the seat it worked a bit but that bolster and leg area still remain very hard. I am either looking for seats or considering reupholstery

Quick Reply: Darth Vader Steam Rollin the Haters while getting his hate walk on