Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Default LED headlights 96 TA

Looking for brighter headlights. Curious if anyone has tried the various LED kits out there.

These look like they might be good.

https://www.grote.com/products/94401-5-4x6-led-headlight-high-low-beam-combo/

Not wanting to do any major conversion, just want something plug and play.

Im not opposed to getting just brighter/whiter standard lamps, just looking to see if anything better nowadays.
Old 08-28-2019, 07:23 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 345 Likes on 316 Posts

The first place to start is reading up on the LMC headlight conversion. Have you seen these threads? https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ht-option.html
Old 08-29-2019, 09:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Dammit, i just lost a **** load..i hate this ******* Brave browser.

Anyways, i got the single dual intensity lamps. So, that stuff wont work for me. Mine are the same as 3rd gen if im not mistaken. 98+ use two smaller lamps. Im not aware of any better conversion.

I started here, and didn't see much. My googlefu don't work too well anymore. Not much pertaining to the 93-97 firechicken.

The other morning, the yellowish hue started to bug me. So i went looking for replacements. There are alot of LED setups, but nit sure if they're really worth it. Alot of LED **** is misleading, so wanted to see if any one guinea pigged or not.

H4666 is whats in these birds. I feel retarded because im just not finding any good threads of people discussing these types. Pretty much people sticking with standard style is all i find.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:01 AM
Save the manuals!

You are right to feel frustrated, then. There are a lot of posts on the subject, but the majority may not be helpful, a lot is total crap, and there is just too much to clean up.

If you go to the advanced search and select the following parameters:
Search by Keyword
-> Keyword(s): led headlight
-> Username: WhiteBird00 "Find Posts by User"

Search Options:
-> Search in Forums(s): Stereo & Electronics

I trust you will find more sophisticated offerings on the topic.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by demonsmokr
Looking for brighter headlights. Curious if anyone has tried the various LED kits out there.

These look like they might be good.

https://www.grote.com/products/94401...ow-beam-combo/

Not wanting to do any major conversion, just want something plug and play.

Im not opposed to getting just brighter/whiter standard lamps, just looking to see if anything better nowadays.
look into Hella head lamps. They make a kit that replaces the stock light with a set that allows you change the bulb instead of replacing a sealed beam unit. Uses H4 bulbs which you could upgrade with an LED bulb

Old 09-03-2019, 03:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Unfortunately, ECE headlights are not legal in North America because of the beam pattern. If Hella makes an equivalent DOT version then those would be okay.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Unfortunately, ECE headlights are not legal in North America because of the beam pattern. If Hella makes an equivalent DOT version then those would be okay.
We can use ECE in Canada, that sucks for you guys.

Last edited by PARMY; 09-03-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

As you can see in your posted listing, the headlights all have "(ECE)" in the description. ECE refers to the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe which publishes various rules and regulations for a variety of industries (in this case automotive standards). It is a similar function to that of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and administered by the Department of Transportation (DOT). The Canadian equivalent is Transport Canada. Canada and the US have a reciprocal agreement where motor vehicle regulations are shared by both countries. Each country can add to the basic requirements (e.g. requiring DRLs and metric instruments in Canada) but cannot pass laws which reduce the requirements.

Headlight requirements go far beyond just color and cover such things as placement (minimum/maximum height and minimum/maximum width), permitted quantity and power (e.g. only four forward facing white lights at the same time which is partly why fog lights turn off with high beams), and beam pattern. To be legal for use on public roads in both the US and Canada, headlights must have the DOT logo molded into the lens indicating that the lamp meets DOT requirements.

ECE headlights have different beam patterns (including different versions for left and right hand drive vehicles) than DOT headlights so they don't meet DOT regulations, don't have a DOT logo on them, and therefore aren't legal for use on public roads in the US and Canada. The ECE also has many other differences in headlight regulations such as allowing "selective yellow" (especially in France) and requiring automatic leveling systems for HID headlights. They also require headlight washers in some circumstances. Trust me... these DOT regulations are federal law and apply in every state and province although they may only include them in their highway traffic acts by reference rather than spelling them out.

Sorry for the long explanation but that is what I meant by them not being legal in North America. I would not be surprised if Hella also offers a DOT version of those lights but the ECE versions can't legally be used here.
Old 09-04-2019, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

sorry for the thread derail..

OP, there are sealed beam style LED lamps but not sure how they work. Another option is go with an LED bulb in the fog lamps and get some type of brighter sealed beam unit
Old 09-04-2019, 06:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 09-04-2019, 07:14 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by PARMY

sorry for the thread derail..
I stand corrected. That's a good catch. It's been at least ten years since I looked at the Canadian regulations (I've been living in Florida) so I was unaware that they had adopted the UN (ECE) standards. Thanks for the update.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Very interesting.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry if I missed an answer to this in my search. Already took out the headlight module, checked the solder, and re-soldered them, no change to the issue. I have not done a lot of work on any vehicles so my knowledge and experience is limited.

Headlights will come on when parked, or come on when the car is running, but will not stay on. Lights will turn off, like they were switched from open to running lights only. If I turn off the headlights all the way, they will close and not reopen right away. I have to wait some time before they will re-open, I have not timed how long before they will re-open. If the car is off and I have the headlights on, if I start the car at that point the headlights will stop working. If I turn them on after the car is already on, they will last a few minutes (varies, but no more than 5 mins) before going off. Also after the lights have been on for a couple mins I start to smell that burning electrical smell, but I have not seen anything charred or emitting smoke.

Another issue that I have, and I am not sure if this is related to the issue with the headlights at all, when I accelerate, the interior lights, or at least the lights in the rear view mirror, will come on for a second, sometimes they will flicker a couple of times. It is sporadic, I have tried to repeat it, but it seems to be random, but it happens at least 80% of the time that I accelerate that I have noticed.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Or is it time to try and find a shop in the area to go to?
Old 09-07-2019, 07:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Skiliq
Headlights will come on when parked, or come on when the car is running, but will not stay on. Lights will turn off, like they were switched from open to running lights only.
Solve this first. You'll see that in Post 1838, the schematic shows that the door control module has nothing to do with the bulbs coming on or off. You could have a bad switch, some loose power wires, or a bad ground.

Since you could have a bad switch, and the switch is a key door module input, that's why you need to solve this gremlin first.

If I turn off the headlights all the way, they will close and not reopen right away. I have to wait some time before they will re-open, I have not timed how long before they will re-open. If the car is off and I have the headlights on, if I start the car at that point the headlights will stop working. If I turn them on after the car is already on, they will last a few minutes (varies, but no more than 5 mins) before going off.
If this still happens after you solve the first problem, you might still have an issue at the module. You can test for this with the hood up. Just wiggle the module connectors when the problem is occurring. If the wiggle gets things to "work", then you know you still have a problem with the solder joints. Contamination could be an issue and you may need to get some flux in there to get everything clean so the solder can bond well. If you need to go back to the solder joints, de-solder them completely with some de-soldering braid and then re-solder with rosin-core electrical solder and you should be set.

Another issue that I have, and I am not sure if this is related to the issue with the headlights at all, when I accelerate, the interior lights, or at least the lights in the rear view mirror, will come on for a second, sometimes they will flicker a couple of times. It is sporadic, I have tried to repeat it, but it seems to be random, but it happens at least 80% of the time that I accelerate that I have noticed.
Please create a new post in the Stereo and Electronics section for this. You could have a voltage or wiring problem. It will be important to know if the lights should be on or off, the position of the switching, and what kind of bulbs are installed.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Save the manuals!

look into Hella head lamps. They make a kit that replaces the stock light with a set that allows you change the bulb instead of replacing a sealed beam unit. Uses H4 bulbs which you could upgrade with an LED bulb
These are too big for our cars.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wssix99
These are too big for our cars.
4x6.......isn’t that what’s in our cars?

other option which I forgot about was Hawks Motorsports HID conversion kit.

Last edited by PARMY; 09-09-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 06:47 AM
Save the manuals!

4x6.......isn’t that what’s in our cars?
No, the stock bulbs are slightly smaller.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:19 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Early 4th generation Firebirds with only two headlights (up to 97) used H6054 sealed beam halogen headlights that are 100 mm x 165 mm (4" x 6"). Later models with four headlights (98-02) used H4701 and H4703 sealed beam halogen headlights that are 92 mm x 150 mm (approx. 3.6" x 5.9").

Thanks. It looks like they were also a single bulb, which would be conducive to the features in a lot of these kits.

... Shame for the newer cars.

Last edited by wssix99; 09-11-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Early 4th generation Firebirds with only two headlights (up to 97) used H6054 sealed beam halogen headlights that are 100 mm x 165 mm (4" x 6"). Later models with four headlights (98-02) used H4701 and H4703 sealed beam halogen headlights that are 92 mm x 150 mm (approx. 3.6" x 5.9").
Exactly...93-97 use 4x6.....98 is when they went to a smaller 4 lamp system. I’ve looking for the last 6 months for better lights which is why I was going to go with the Hella route so I could the. Just change bulbs only without having to remove the sealed beam unit. Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-12-2019, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Run across this company the other day.Pricey but.....

https://www.headlightexperts.com/led...SAAEgLLuvD_BwE

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE