Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacement headlight motor?

Anyone know if there is an updated headlight motor from 02 that may work better for our cars?

Anyone have a part number for the pass and driver side motors from GM?

Thanks!
Old 12-31-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I just did the 180* quick fix, and on my one light it worked fine, except it now doesn't go all the way down, there is maybe another 1/4" more it needs to go down. Any ideas??

The other light didn't take so well, it will go up about 1/2" way, then it just sits there and grinds. I find this very odd, since the gear was rotated 180* via the manual **** that turns the motor. Be hard to believe there would be two spots close together that are stripped? (I've had the car since day one also w/ no issues)

What epoxy is everyone using, and where do you get it for the housing?
Both gears may need to be replaced.

I've had good luck cleaning all the old glue off to bare plastic and then using superglue. Not the gel, the fast acting stuff. I put it in between the panels, stick them together and then add some more around the edges. Give it a few hours to set. With any 5 min epoxy you still want it to set several hours, overnight if possible to make sure it's at full strength before you use the light.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Anyone know if there is an updated headlight motor from 02 that may work better for our cars?

Anyone have a part number for the pass and driver side motors from GM?
The motors are all built the same.

As for part numbers, have you tried looking at GMPartsexpress dot com?
Old 01-10-2008, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Default Trans am headlights

Well guys I read the sticky all the way through and have pretty much exhausted my options with these headlights. I mean I am fed up. I have replaced the brass gear I installed on the drivers' side and even it stripped out. I have gotten quotes for a new motor from Advance and Orelly auto parts and it sounds like a refurbished motor (w/ lifetime warranty) is gonna run me 60-70 dollars. Also, I know a guy (barely) who works at a Chevrolet dealership who can get me the new motor "at cost" for like 160, but I'm not sure if that includes install or not. I have never installed a motor before, just the gears which keep driving me crazy what do I do???
Old 01-10-2008, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

what is it doing i trought it was my gear but it was not what your motor doing
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Launching!

it slams them down pretty hard and of course I know the metal gear is stripped due to the grinding noise it makes every time it goes down.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can anyone help? Now my driver side headlight doesn't go up. If I manually raise it up, it'll close down with the other headlight, but it won't raise up by itself. I pulled the arm off the motor, it spins both ways, it just doesn't raise by itself.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:52 PM
TECH Veteran

ive got a different question... my harness connector broke when I unplugged it do to rust or something. One of the prongs in the female end broke off into the male end so now I need the whole connecting harness. Can you get any basic 5 pin connector and just cut the old harness off and put the new one there in its place? Or do you need the GM one thats on the car for it to work?

I had the grinding problem also so i just ordered the new gears for my drivers side so hopefully that works on that one. These pop up lights suk I know!

GM needs to have a recall on all the Firebird lights LOL
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98TAauto
ive got a different question... my harness connector broke when I unplugged it do to rust or something. One of the prongs in the female end broke off into the male end so now I need the whole connecting harness. Can you get any basic 5 pin connector and just cut the old harness off and put the new one there in its place? Or do you need the GM one thats on the car for it to work?
What harness do you mean? I don't remember any 5 prong plugs.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just tryed the 180 fix.Getting that nut off was a huge PITA.Instead of grinding after it went down,now it grinds after coming up,plus it refuses to come up all the way.Seemed to get rid of the lights popping up & down when i arm/disarm my alarm/keyless entry though.Pretty sure it might have been tried before because now I can't get the nut back off to try again.The motor shaft turns as i try to take the nut off and i can feel & hear the stripping gear inside
Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the writeup...just happened to me last night....pissed me off...Thanks again
Old 02-24-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 03-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Teching In

I've been seeing a lot of people posting that their brass gears have stripped out almost right away, and I have to stress that JUST CHANGING THE GEAR MAY NOT BE ENOUGH. On the motor assembly, there is a separation between the motor canister and the gear housing, and where it comes apart, there are 4 very small metal tabs that secure the gear housing. They come loose all the time. Bend the tabs back down securely. This will prevent the powerful motor from wiggling the assembly apart, which is the reason the brass gears strip. The worm gear isn't making hard contact with the brass gear.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:51 AM
Teching In

Default Headlight Door Motor

This morning I got into my daughters 01 Formula to move it and when I turned off the headlights both doors closed but there was a weird noise so I expect one of the motors to go out. My question is how hard is it to replace the motor? Also if it fails closed is there a way to manually open it up? Thanks
Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my car has already had the brass gears installed.. that actually put strain on the OEM motors, which were also replaced.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

alright mine is doing the grinding after closing i got the arm off but the shaft will not turn at all am i doing something wrong or what?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wnmech
This morning I got into my daughters 01 Formula to move it and when I turned off the headlights both doors closed but there was a weird noise so I expect one of the motors to go out. My question is how hard is it to replace the motor? Also if it fails closed is there a way to manually open it up? Thanks
it just needs a new gear, if you watch the video on the first page of this thread it helps alot with the installation process. you can also just get a factory replacement plastic gear from napa for arround 12bucks.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I seem to have lost the cover for the housing. Does this mean I need a new motor? If so, where's the cheapest place to find the motor?

And just to ask a quick question, what other models have the same motor?

93-02 Firebirds
97-04 Corvettes?
Old 03-25-2008, 04:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrewSG
I seem to have lost the cover for the housing. Does this mean I need a new motor?
Not necessarily. I've seen people make new covers out of thicker plastic. You just cut it to shape and drill a hole in it. Then glue it on to keep water out.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-25-2008 at 04:08 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

I've got a problem with my one headlight. When the car (or headlights) are turned to off, they both go down, but the right side lamp comes back up while the other stays down like it should. If the lights are turned back on, the right side will go back down, and they'll both come back up. It doesn't make any sense, so I figured this was the spot to ask for some help =/. Thanks in advance.

I don't like being winked at by my car

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE