Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 01:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The brass gear problem is completely new news to me. Shortly after I bought my car in `03 the driver's (and passenger's side a week later) headlight gears stripped out. I've had brass gears in there since with not one issue.
Good luck with your car man.
Old 07-07-2006, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TonyP187
check if it broke the plastic stop on the "headlight bar" That what happened to me, DO NOT BUY BRASS GEARS, they break this piece its going to cost you like a grand to fix if you have the dealer do it. Its easier to use stock new gears, they last like 40,000 miles at least....The goodnews is your gears probably arent stripped.
The plastic stop can be replaced by(with) drilling a hold in the place where the tab broke off. Then placing a flathead screw and putting on a couple of nuts that are aproxmently the same size(diameter) as the stop.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kj16
Anyone have the part number for the stock replacement gear?
Go to NAPA's website they sell them for $12 in the nylon. Same gear as the orignal. It was the only place i could find one quick. they had it the same day.
Old 07-10-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default headlight problem

i turned my headlights on im my garage today to find that the bulbs on the right side both high and low do not work....the left side is perfect...but no right side at all....would anyone know what this is? or a remedy?!? please help! thanks in advance!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 07-10-2006, 08:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

this is gonna sound stupid, but always check the bulbs. the problem is you assume that because both of them are out, the problem is related. not so much the case. ive been burned by that before. take a couple of minutes and take apart the pass side. if you have a test light or dmm (digital multi meter) check for voltage. if you dont have access to these things, take the drivers side apart as well, and switch the bulb from driver to pass. if it works, viola, you need a bulb (or two) and if not, then its time to invest in a dmm.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

i tried switching bulbs and still nothing but i do have a DMM....do i just plug it in the plugs? and what do i look for?
Old 07-12-2006, 11:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

So i pluged in the DMM and got a reading of 14.27 on the right and 12.89 on the left but nothing will light up on that left driver side....any one know why?!?!?
Old 07-12-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt need help guys......
Old 07-12-2006, 09:54 PM
Teching In

Default Headlight issue (Non-Typical)

I have a 2000 Transam and when I turn the head light switch to turn the lights on, the headlight doors do not flip up nor do the headlights come on. Both headlights and headlight doors do not seem to be getting ANY power. When I turn the switch to the running/fog lights position they come on with no problem. This has now happened to me on two different occasions. After the first time it happened I tried the lights about 2 hours later and they flipped open and came on. But, this time they do not seem to do anything. There have not been any noises from the headlights, just dont work. The fuse is fine, is there some type of relay that could have gone bad?
Suggestions....Please!
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2006, 03:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 04Yukon
I have an 01 trans am...when I engauge or disengauge keyless entry headlights come up then down and make a roaring noise . The noise only comes from left headlight drivers side? Both lights come up though! Any idea? Is it the same thing I am seeing here about gears?
Thanks,
Tiffany

Originally Posted by smoke20
one of your headlight motors is shot - buy 2 new motors from gm replace them and be done with it. i did brass gears and two weeks later had to replace the motor because the shell broke. just replace with factory motor. easy to replace. 1 hour both sides
If the motor is shot, it shouln't come up at all right? I just had this happen to me last week and wonder should I spend 220 for a set of motors or 85 buck for gears.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Default New issues with headlights

Well I tested the headlight switch and it looks to be fine. A guy a the dealership told me it might be my head light control module (Box with two different plugs going to it next to the front fuse box in the engine compartment) I un-plugged one side and then plugged it back in while the headlight switch was on and the doors came up. Even though the doors came up the lights still did not come on. This is issue #1. Is there a fuse for the headlights? If so, where is it located? Why would the doors come up and the lights not come on?
Also, I noticed that the driverside headlight door was making a grinding noise when I turned the switch off. I also noticed that the manual crank for the door was spinning while it was making the noise. I am pretty sure that the motor is shot, correct?
Please help because I can not stand it not being able to drive a night since I dont have any headlights.
Thanks!
Old 07-20-2006, 03:29 PM
Teching In

i need to vent. i hate this headlight motors. i really can not figure them out. for almost a year, each headlight motor will take turns failing. now its back to the pass. side. i still think theres too much corrosion in the connection. i cleaned it but i still think thats the problem. between the headlight motors and the window motors i just wanna kick my car
Old 08-01-2006, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Default Head Lights

noob question but Does The T/A headlights cause drag when they are popped up?
Old 08-02-2006, 08:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think so but you would have to be going extremely fast to even notice.
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 AM
Teching In

ok more headlight problems..i tested the motor out on my pass. headlight. it does work. its getting power and all that. however i tested the female side of the connection and there isnt any power going to it. im not sure if there is too much rust in there or what, i tried cleaning it out the best i could but still nothing. could it be anything else. maybe the headlight control module? and where is that located?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:40 AM
Teching In

Default Electric Problem/headlight

My pass. headlight wont go up. Its not the gear or the motor itself. i tested the motor and it goes up. i believe it is the female side of the headlight connection that has failed. I cleaned out the corrorsian and all that but it still doesn't work. i dont know if it isnt cleaned all the way or if the plug is just bad all togehter? Could it be the headlight control module? and is there a module for each headlight? help me fix this problem already. thanks
Old 08-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 08-27-2006, 10:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you probed to see if you have DC coming in on the harness?
Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Whatever I'll just repost it here:

Uhh so I've got a 1994 Trans Am and when I turn my headlight switch to PARKING LIGHTS the popup headlights popup.

Isnt this abrnomal?

Its my understanding that they only pop up when the switch is turned all the way to the right normally.

But mine popup no-matter what.

Anyone else had this problem or??

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE