Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what should i do when one of my headlamps goes up when the other goes down and visa versa? My passenger headlamp is in synch with the switch. The driver side is opposite. What does this mean?
The following users liked this post:
Motion.Picture (10-25-2020)
Old 04-28-2005, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Turn off the headlights and manually lower the one that is up. I believe that should get them back in sync. Have you done anything to the headlights? If that doesn't work I say turn on the headlights disengage the arm, raise the headlight and reattach the arm.
The following users liked this post:
Motion.Picture (10-25-2020)
Old 04-29-2005, 11:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, the driver headlamp is removed. Its just the motor bolted in. Im not sure what it could be.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My headlights slam shut, it is almost like they free fall when closing?????? 2002 ws6 M6
Old 06-26-2005, 12:05 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Kyle C
I don't have the ratcheting noise but the drivers side light doesn't always come up. If I turn the lights off and back on a couple of time it usually comes up. It happens mostly on cold mornings. Any ideas?
I had the same problem with my drivers side light. Eventually it stopped working altogether. The problem was, one of the wire connections going into the harness was rusted up not making a good connection. All i had to do was loop a new wire, avoiding the harness. Its worked just fine for over a year now.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:12 PM
12 Second Club

My passenger side headlight bounces when I drive. I have had friends in front of me that say they can see it bouncing. Anyone know whats causing that?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:13 PM
Staging Lane

Same problem... my drivers side would flap up and down everytime i locked my car, and made a grinding sound when it finally closed... so we just replaced the light motor and it works fine now. Hopefully it doesnt happen again.
Old 07-01-2005, 03:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by SpeedSin
Wouldnt use WD40, its water-based (promotes rusting). I would use some sort of silicone based lubricant. Or a maching oil. Later...
WD40 is not water based. It's a solvent/lubricant.

The WD stands for "Water Displacement".

Learn something new everyday don't you?
Old 07-01-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Regular

Ditto on the WD-40 as it was even recommended to spray in the rotor cap on older cars to keep moisture out.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:15 PM
12 Second Club

ANyone got any ideas on my problem? Go a few posts up.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blu98ta
My passenger side headlight bounces when I drive. I have had friends in front of me that say they can see it bouncing. Anyone know whats causing that?
i've got the same prob. i haven't been able to figure out what it is. maybe a loose bolt?..but i haven't found any...
Old 09-13-2005, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Hey thanks i did the temp fix in 30 mins and its not GHETTO ANYmore!
Old 09-13-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

more KUDO's for the temp fix! I had been running aroung with both "eyes" open for better than 6 month (1. I'm lazy and hadn't ordered the brass gears 2. I work for uncle sugar and money for the gears is tight much less new motors, espicially with gas prices now) I just pulled the 2 15a fuses in the engine bay for the headlight motors while the lights were on and they stayed up

anyway, I just wanted to post up another sucess story and a warning .. I used a hammer and punch to "fix" the loose motor body it was talking about and bending the little tabs down. on the 4th tab I guess I got a little over zelous but it punches right through the PLASTIC of the upper gear area . I don't think I have to worry about that side loosening up again dropped a spot of clear titanuim silicon on the hole left by the punch and works like a champ. My baby can "sleep" at night now

next problems to tackle:

power antenna grinding, no all the way up or down (pulled power connector from it in up position too)
monsoon radio display going nuts and unable to read most of the time ... clears up sometimes though. (Fixed this once by resoldering the connection to the main board inside the head unit. it gets cold solder joints there and erounous signals to the microchip freaks it out. time to fix again I guess)

rattleing noise in drivers side door with the window down when closing the door. windows works good (up and down) just bangs pretty loud when shutting with the window down even just a little bit.

OH yea ... she smokes like George Burns under heavy throttle still runs great but fouls plugs every 20K or so. installed the AMW catch can (very nice piece of work) pressure check and leak down test checked out good (within +/-10 of each other all cylinders) but still a smoker
Old 12-09-2005, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

i've had the same problem they said the motor in the light was broken or somethin like that. Since this is talkin about head lights and everything... does anybody have halogen fog lights? i wanted to know if you guys liked the look they give
Old 12-13-2005, 10:59 PM
TECH Addict

Well about a few months ago i did the brass gear mod to my drivers side light because it was grinding away everytime i locked my door or turned off my lights. Well just recently now the drivers side light does not go up. The light turns on because you can see it. But the light does not come up like its supposed to. Im assuming the motor as just gone bad. I don't have the money to buy a rebuilt one but is there a way i can lift the light up with the **** then take out the fuse so that both headlights can stay up?
-Joel
Old 12-13-2005, 11:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Well about a few months ago i did the brass gear mod to my drivers side light because it was grinding away everytime i locked my door or turned off my lights. Well just recently now the drivers side light does not go up. The light turns on because you can see it. But the light does not come up like its supposed to. Im assuming the motor as just gone bad. I don't have the money to buy a rebuilt one but is there a way i can lift the light up with the **** then take out the fuse so that both headlights can stay up?
-Joel
Make sure there isn't corrosion at the harness underneath the headlight. To manually raise/lower the light remove the plastic boot/cover on top the headlight motor and turn it by hand or use a socket (forgot what size I used ). Once you do that just pull the fuse for that h/light...they are labeled H/L driver / passenger or something like that .
Old 12-15-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hayden
i've had the same problem they said the motor in the light was broken or somethin like that. Since this is talkin about head lights and everything... does anybody have halogen fog lights? i wanted to know if you guys liked the look they give
I'm just going to replace my fogs with some Blazertechs
Old 12-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

My brass gears broke my Plastic stop off now wtf do I do...
Old 12-31-2005, 01:28 PM
11 Second Club

ok..im havin an issue with my passengerside headlamp assembly...wont come up..light is workin but motor is not. fuse is good and there is power at the connector to the motor. the connector was corroded but after some clean up still did not work. light itself will come on though which would lead me to beleive the motor is shot. anything else i can do to confirm this??

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE