Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was about to note that if you installed a motor manufactured in Asia, you might have to adjust the headlight time zone differential.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
Just invest in the metal gear kit.. it's really cheap and only takes maybe an hour to repair both headlights.
I had to do it to mine in May..

Just invest in the metal gear kit.....Do you have a link for this???
Old 09-20-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

read my sticky...... Theres a link in it
Old 09-20-2010, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
read my sticky...... Theres a link in it
What he said.

When I got my Trans Am the headlights kept flipping during locking/unlocking. I did the 180 degree fix and I've been good since. Just seems so strange how that works out tho, huh?! Good luck with your fix.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Aight. This my second time dealing with the whole, "gears stripping", and the whole "grinding noise whenever you turn your headlight off" situation. The first this happened to me I bought the brass gear and put it right in. Worked perfectly for about 6 months. Then 1 day my headlight didn't come up, so I went and turned the manual **** for the headlight to come up. When I went to go turn off my headlights. The grinding noise was back. It's all screwed up. The headlight will come up normal, then stay up and not go down when I turn it off. When this happens I loosen the manual turn **** just a little, hit the light switch off again and it'll go down... grinding. I don't know what's goin on. Theres a brass gear in the motor I don't understand why it would grind. These headlights are frustrating. I love my car... but Damn. Any ideas?
Old 09-25-2010, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

i scored a NEW, free, plastic gear from a friend of mine. took about 45 min to do (waiting for the gasket sealer to bond on the cover plate, takes the longest).

both work great and thats all that matters!!!
Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ERL_
Aight. This my second time dealing with the whole, "gears stripping", and the whole "grinding noise whenever you turn your headlight off" situation. The first this happened to me I bought the brass gear and put it right in. Worked perfectly for about 6 months. Then 1 day my headlight didn't come up, so I went and turned the manual **** for the headlight to come up. When I went to go turn off my headlights. The grinding noise was back. It's all screwed up. The headlight will come up normal, then stay up and not go down when I turn it off. When this happens I loosen the manual turn **** just a little, hit the light switch off again and it'll go down... grinding. I don't know what's goin on. Theres a brass gear in the motor I don't understand why it would grind. These headlights are frustrating. I love my car... but Damn. Any ideas?
maybe your little white "stop tabs" are bent or worn...
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

After replacing the stripped gear with a brass one I'm having a different problem. The arm will not stay into the headlight so it falls out after about 3 times of use. Any suggestions on how to get it to stay in place?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

What? Can you post a picture?
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JasonWW
What? Can you post a picture?
I can't at this moment but maybe in a few hours. I'm guessing there's a fitting inside the hole or something that I don't have. Its connected to the motor fine, but where its actually connected to the headlight the arm will not stay connected.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:19 PM
TECH Regular

ah, sounds like ur "piece" has come out. I forget what its called but they are Pressed in/machined. what I did was at the end of the arm, I drilled a VERY small hole all the way through the small cylindar shaft at the end. Then I stuck it in the headlight module and then took a piece of wire and made myself a carter key...Wa-Lah, my arm hasn't come out since.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by offroadfury6
ah, sounds like ur "piece" has come out. I forget what its called but they are Pressed in/machined. what I did was at the end of the arm, I drilled a VERY small hole all the way through the small cylindar shaft at the end. Then I stuck it in the headlight module and then took a piece of wire and made myself a carter key...Wa-Lah, my arm hasn't come out since.
Yeah thats the direction i've been leaning towards, thanks for your input.
Old 10-07-2010, 01:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Iwannagofaster
Yeah thats the direction i've been leaning towards, thanks for your input.
yeah sorry, I forget the correct termnology but if your having the same problem I did, then you know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Default So many headlight problems!

Hey guys, was trying to fix my headlight with the "free" fix and it's not looking very good. I have two problems:

One is that even when I do the free fix, the headlight still makes noise. It'll either make noise after it goes down or after it goes up. I found the sweet spot where it was silent for a minute, but had to adjust the headlight and that went away pretty quick. Is my gear just stripped completely if I can't find a way to get it to quiet down using the free method?

My second problem is that trying to remove the actuator arm, I accidentally pulled it out of the headlight. I can't figure out what keeps this thing connected to the headlight itself. There's no nut or anything, and it keeps wiggling out when I raise and lower light. How do I keep this thing attached? Thanks everybody.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:55 AM
On The Tree

Ok, just to confirm. Passenger side headlamp wont raise up. Lights do come on. No grinding noises at all. I have power both going into the motor harness connector and coming out of the harness connector going to the motor.
This is a bad motor, correct???
Old 10-13-2010, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

^^^ yes...take it apart, check your worm drive and gear...an hour tops...
Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 PM
12 Second Club

Default LMC truck housing ?

Just curious Is everyones truck housings directional? The 2 that I have say L in the little square at the base of the clear glass. Was wondering if one is supposed to be L and one R??????
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2000TransAm24
Just curious Is everyones truck housings directional? The 2 that I have say L in the little square at the base of the clear glass. Was wondering if one is supposed to be L and one R??????
nope should be universal.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ correct
Old 10-24-2010, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Strange headlight issue, (motor is new)

So in getting my headlight motor replaced, it now operates just fine but wont close all the way down on the drivers side.

I can open the hood and roll the gear by hand and it will go down all the way and stay down, until i pop the lights back up again, then the drivers side will only go about 90% down. any ideas?

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE