Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems like most people on here replace the nylon gear in the headlight with aluminum or brass, but when I did mine a while back I just bought another nylon one. My thinking was that the nylon gear was intended to wear in order to save the worm gear from wearing instead. Seems like that would be a lot harder to replace if it went out. Has anyone with the aluminum/brass replacement gear had the worm gear wear out?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:11 PM
11 Second Club

Default Headlights went possesed on me

Driving home tonight, and my dash lights wouldn't work. I thought wtf something to play with tomorrow. Then All the sudden randomly, the headlights started popping them selves up and down.

I have an extra headlight module I may try, I already replaced the headlight switch with a spare i had and no change. Kinda at a loss here.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:32 PM
Teching In

I've had all my dash lights go out on me before. Have you checked your fuses?
Old 06-04-2014, 10:09 PM

Default Please help!

When I step on the brake for my 2001 trans am the headlights pop up, even when the car is off, Can any body tell me why?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 PM

Default head light cover alignment

I had do to do some work on the head light motors and needed to remove the head light covers. Any tips on how to get them back on and seated right? They are going back on crooked and thus not allowing my to close the hood or are hitting the "nostril" curves on the bumper.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by misfit1980
I had do to do some work on the head light motors and needed to remove the head light covers. Any tips on how to get them back on and seated right? They are going back on crooked and thus not allowing my to close the hood or are hitting the "nostril" curves on the bumper.
The slots that the screws go through should allow for a good amount of adjustment. Just play around with it until it sits where it should.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Just replaced my passenger side headlight motor (stripped gear issue), and now I can't get my lights back in-sync. When I turn the lights on the driver's side comes up but the passenger side (with the new motor) stays down, then the passenger side comes up when I turn the lights off.

Tried manually lowering the light and resetting, no dice, just stays down and waits to come up when I cut the switch back off. Tried remounting the arm, no dice, same thing.

Read an older post that said they fixed it by unplugging the motor and plugging it back up with the switch on. No dice, same problem.

Tried just flipping them on and off hoping they'd sync up, didn't work.

Everything I've tried has been a dead-end so far. Only thing I haven't tried is disconnecting the battery and hoping the computer resets or something. Any ideas, guys?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Alright so I picked up a WS6 today the drivers side headlight is getting stuck in the down position. It's like it's tightening itself down too far. If I open the hood and manually turn it a little, when I flip the lights on it'll open fine. But after they close, it won't open again unless I get it started manually again. Is this a sign of a bad motor or gear? Also it's missing the little rubber nipple thing that covers where you put the wrench on that side.

So if this is a newbie question. I'm a Camaro guy, so I know diddly about these things.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mandrel
Just replaced my passenger side headlight motor (stripped gear issue), and now I can't get my lights back in-sync. When I turn the lights on the driver's side comes up but the passenger side (with the new motor) stays down, then the passenger side comes up when I turn the lights off.

Tried manually lowering the light and resetting, no dice, just stays down and waits to come up when I cut the switch back off. Tried remounting the arm, no dice, same thing.

Read an older post that said they fixed it by unplugging the motor and plugging it back up with the switch on. No dice, same problem.

Tried just flipping them on and off hoping they'd sync up, didn't work.

Everything I've tried has been a dead-end so far. Only thing I haven't tried is disconnecting the battery and hoping the computer resets or something. Any ideas, guys?

its a common problem with new motors ive read... im guessing its a Cardone one..... ive read the wires in the connector are backwards... im actually having the same problem.... looks as simple as pulling the wires from the connector on the motor and reversing them...... i pushed the leads out on my old motor too see how hard it was and it was easy
Old 06-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Double-aught_Z/28
Alright so I picked up a WS6 today the drivers side headlight is getting stuck in the down position. It's like it's tightening itself down too far. If I open the hood and manually turn it a little, when I flip the lights on it'll open fine. But after they close, it won't open again unless I get it started manually again. Is this a sign of a bad motor or gear? Also it's missing the little rubber nipple thing that covers where you put the wrench on that side.

So if this is a newbie question. I'm a Camaro guy, so I know diddly about these things.
check if the stop for the arm is there.... theres a tab that controls how far it goes... could be missing it and going too far or something
Old 06-29-2014, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DirtyBirdMKE
check if the stop for the arm is there.... theres a tab that controls how far it goes... could be missing it and going too far or something
I did some more poking around this morning and found the 180* fix. Tried it and it seems to have worked. I guess the first tooth or two on the gear must be worn down and it wasn't grabbing from the all the way down position.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Headlight not stopping - not opening

I replaced my headlight gears and am putting them back together. This seemed to have been my issue before when they were ******* up not opening too but didn't realize it. Anyways, the piece that restricts the arm from going backwards seems like it isn't back far enough? And it is making the arm open too far causing it to over extend and won't close unless I turn it manually with a pair of pliers.

Pictures of what I mean:

https://i.imgur.com/sbv3M2P.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/tOLadyY.jpg

How can I fix this?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 PM
TECH Addict

from those pictures it looks like the nut that holds the swing arm to the shaft of the motor isn't on tight enough and so the arm is not "engaged" onto the "keyed" part of the shaft that makes the arm move with the motor shaft so instead the motor shaft is spinning free and the arm is not moving.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
from those pictures it looks like the nut that holds the swing arm to the shaft of the motor isn't on tight enough and so the arm is not "engaged" onto the "keyed" part of the shaft that makes the arm move with the motor shaft so instead the motor shaft is spinning free and the arm is not moving.
This. The nut he speaks of has to be TIGHT for the motors to work properly. Went through the same crap when I replaced my driver side motor.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

Getting the linkage back on the post is tough. (so you can tighten the nut down all the way). You have to have it lined up just right.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry - for the picture I had the nut opened because I was gonna take it off and put it back on. Didn't recognize that I still had it loose when I took it off. When I tightened both, they were TIGHT. The driver's side works fine, the passenger side is the one having issues.
Old 07-04-2014, 07:34 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

^, yea - just take the lever off the passenger side and then put it back on the post. If it's perfect, it will go on and in. If its off by a few degrees, it will feel tight, but it won't slide down the post to the position where it needs to be.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I tightened it. I tightened it so much the goddamn stud broke. Sigh.

The other issue I'm having (which is why I pulled them apart again in the first place) is both headlights seem to get stuck - they get super hard to turn and the only way they will is by using a tool like pliers to start the motor, then they seem to work. They'll work sometimes just once after or multiple times. I thought this was due to bad installation and taking it apart I noticed the epoxy didn't hold one of the housings...the driver's light seemed to be fine but I did both and this just happened with the driver's light. I turned it manually then opened and closed a few times and it was fine, but now I need a new motor for the passenger side.

These new gears have given me nothing but problems so far. I really ******* hate pop up headlights.
Old 07-06-2014, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Guitar
Oh I tightened it. I tightened it so much the goddamn stud broke. Sigh.

The other issue I'm having (which is why I pulled them apart again in the first place) is both headlights seem to get stuck - they get super hard to turn and the only way they will is by using a tool like pliers to start the motor, then they seem to work. They'll work sometimes just once after or multiple times. I thought this was due to bad installation and taking it apart I noticed the epoxy didn't hold one of the housings...the driver's light seemed to be fine but I did both and this just happened with the driver's light. I turned it manually then opened and closed a few times and it was fine, but now I need a new motor for the passenger side.

These new gears have given me nothing but problems so far. I really ******* hate pop up headlights.
FYI, the NEW not the REMAN Cardone headlight motors from the parts store have the cover screwed on so you don't have to break it apart and epoxy it back together.

also it looked like there was a lot of metal shavings below them in the picture which would indicate the arm either wasn't positioned on the motor shafts "keyed" area or the end of the arm is rusted out and the keyed part of the arm is no rounded out, could you get some pictures of those parts?
Old 07-06-2014, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The metal shavings are from the ratchet contacting the body while tightening the nut. The arm was positioned correctly and tightened on the shaft of the motor. All I really need is the metal piece that is inside the motor. I'd rather try finding that before spending $80 on a new motor.

Oh **** it whatever I'm just gonna grab a new one. I want to be able to enjoy this car again without worrying.

Last edited by Guitar; 07-06-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE