Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE - Page 93 - LS1TECH

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Headlights--ALL COMMENTS/QUESTIONS REGARDING HEADLIGHTS GO IN HERE

Old 02-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #1841
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelMan View Post
RH Headlight never goes up when I flick the lights on. I have to pop open the hood, manually open the headlight just a tad and re-open the headlights using the switch. What could be causing this?
stripped gear
wssix99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #1842
TECH Addict

ok got a '91 headlight problem and I searched but got nothing, as I wasn't sure what to search exactly.
so the 91 got moved and one headlight stayed up. and now the batt is DEAD. I hooked a jump box to it and nothing. hooked another battery and barely anything with a charger hooked to the batteries. but I did hear the motors trying to run??? so now its sitting there with the battery unhooked. but when it was all hooked up the lights cam up turned on. so I unhooked the headlight pop up motors, and let it charge, nothing changed battery and it went dead pretty quick but lights aren't on and headlight motors are still unhooked, so I think its a wiring or switch problem.

anyone had anything like this? and where to start looking?
AAron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #1843
TECH Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by wssix99 View Post
stripped gear
oh. Should I replace the gear with a plastic one or replace the whole motor?;
ShovelMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #1844
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShovelMan View Post
oh. Should I replace the gear with a plastic one or replace the whole motor?;
If you ask the question like that, you will get 10 different answers and none will be helpful. You first need to figure out why your original gears stripped. Old age? Loose motor body at the gear case? Botched earlier repair job? Stuck door? Cosmic Rays?

^ From there, you can make a semi-educated choice.

Here's a thread from my experience that may help you understand some of these causes: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ght-doors.html
Old 03-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #1845
On The Tree

My passenger side light would grind when I turned them off. I performed the simple fix and now it grinds when I turn them on. Should I assume the gear is shot ?
aggiebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 01:37 PM   #1846
Staging Lane

Can I reuse the headlight motor off a 96 for a front end swap with the newer style headlights?
PyroguyFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:03 AM   #1847

Default Headlights making noise also fuse on side of dash

Headlights making fringing noise also blows dash fuse cause car not to start the fuse on side of dash only blows when headlights used if I remove headlight door fuse under hood doesn't blow when lights on. Thinking module not gears causing
how455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:55 AM   #1848
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhall19 View Post
I've read all thru this page and haven't found someone with a similar issue. I have a 1999 Firebird Converted to a LS1. First started out that when I would turn on my headlights my doors wouldn't open. I could Literally flick my fender with my finger and they both would open, they do not make any grinding noises. Have replaced headlight door control module and headlight switch. Currently i have to turn them on and off twice to get them to come up, flicking method no longer works .
I've unplugged the large plug on each side and they are corrosion free. Have sprayed arms that come off motors with lubricant. Noticed that Bump stops are worn down to metal on the closed position (could that be my problem?). I'm out of ideas! I recently upgraded to HID lights and am assuming flicking lights on and off are not good for them...

I think I'm finally on to the root cause of this problem. I had my hood open this weekend when the issue came up and I have the headlight control module a very very slight tap with my finger and the headlights opened up!

I also found on another 3rd gen forum that someone else has had this issue in a 3rd gen and discovered solder joint cracking in the module.

There is a mechanical relay in the single headlight control module that flips the doors together, and I suspect that the solder joints feeding that relay (or the relay itself) are bad:

We'll be checking it out later this week...
Old 04-18-2017, 11:26 PM   #1849
Save the manuals!

I got the headlight door control board out and... indeed there were cracked solder joints at the pins where the connectors come in to the board. (All the other solder connections looked good.) I've re-soldered and expect my sporadic door opening issues to be gone!

Old 04-19-2017, 06:30 AM   #1850
Launching!

^^ Awesome find.

would you be willing to do a write up on how you disassembled and reassembled the module? would be extremely useful.

Keep us posted on this issue and if it cured your situation
bleepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #1851
TECH Senior Member

Quote:
I got the headlight door control board out and... indeed there were cracked solder joints at the pins where the connectors come in to the board. (All the other solder connections looked good.) I've re-soldered and expect my sporadic door opening issues to be gone!

Good job

you make this thread an excellent source of information.

edit: fixed typo.

Last edited by joecar; 04-20-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: fixed typo (how could I ever spell "of" incorrectly).
joecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:24 PM   #1852
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecar View Post
Good job

you make this thread an excellent source if information.
I can't take any credit for this one. This fix is all over the 3rd gen forums and Corvette forums. (The older cars use a similar module and the older Corvettes use the same part.) We're just the "new kids on the block" for this part and this problem. lol
Old 04-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #1853
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleepster View Post
^^ Awesome find.

would you be willing to do a write up on how you disassembled and reassembled the module? would be extremely useful.

Keep us posted on this issue and if it cured your situation
It's too easy for a write-up. I probably could have taken pictures but wanted to experiment with the re-sealing. So - maybe the next person can take some nicer shots of the full disassembly/reassembly.

The process is easy:
1) Remove the module.
2) Pry the back cover off with a screw driver. The board will fall right out.
3) Scrape the old sealant off the body and cover.
4) Re-solder the joints circled above.
5) Drop the repaired board back in the cover.
6) Fill the channel in the cover with sealant, just shy of the top lip. (Either with a butyl sealant, dum-dum, rope caulk, or RTV.)
7) Snap the rear cover back on, wipe off any oozing sealant, and let cure with the module sitting on the cover. (So, the excess sealant doesn't drip on to the board.)
8) Reinstall the module.

I didn't want to drop money on butyl sealant or rope caulk (that's what the OEM sealant looked like) so I used some black RTV that I had laying around and it seems to have done smashingly well.

Everything is hooked back up, the headlights work normally, and hopefully you all will never hear me speak of this intermittent issue again.
Old 04-19-2017, 08:39 PM   #1854
Save the manuals!

Quote:
This fix is all over the 3rd gen forums and Corvette forums. (The older cars use a similar module and the older Corvettes use the same part.) We're just the "new kids on the block" for this part and this problem. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanhall19 View Post
I've read all thru this page and haven't found someone with a similar issue. I have a 1999 Firebird Converted to a LS1. First started out that when I would turn on my headlights my doors wouldn't open. I could Literally flick my fender with my finger and they both would open, they do not make any grinding noises. Have replaced headlight door control module and headlight switch. Currently i have to turn them on and off twice to get them to come up, flicking method no longer works .
After reading through the other older cars' forums and from my experience with solder joint cracking on other parts of this car (and other cars I own) my expectation of this problem is not a matter of "if" it will happen to Firebird owners, but "when."

I'll bet that other module you purchased had the same issue with the cracked joints.

My badly cracked solder joint (the one I could see separate under magnification when I wiggled the attached pin) was the "headlights on" input. So, the module couldn't "tell" when my headlights were on, or not.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #1855
Launching!

Quote:
......smashingly well.
Cheerio my good chap - cheerio

thanks. I may tinker this weekend
bleepster is offline   Reply With Quote