Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

68 firebird noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 68 firebird noise

I have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird. When the car is cold and I am driving and about to come to a stop the car will make a loud clunk. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment and I can feel it in the steering wheel. The clunk only happens just before the car stops and no other time. After I drive the car for 15 minutes and it warms ups the noise goes away for the rest of the day. Any ideas? The engine is a 350 V8 with a 2 speed polyglide automatic transmission. The tranny seems to shift smooth as well as the engine. So I do not suspect either of those two items.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very likely a ball joint, these are wearable parts and need service if original. Depending on your experience you can raise the car up in front and check for worn upper or lower joint. Or you can take it to a shop and get a free estimate.

Front suspension is where you need to check. Start eliminating things and go through the whole system.

Originally Posted by sammypoodle
I have a 1968 Pontiac Firebird. When the car is cold and I am driving and about to come to a stop the car will make a loud clunk. It seems to be coming from the engine compartment and I can feel it in the steering wheel. The clunk only happens just before the car stops and no other time. After I drive the car for 15 minutes and it warms ups the noise goes away for the rest of the day. Any ideas? The engine is a 350 V8 with a 2 speed polyglide automatic transmission. The tranny seems to shift smooth as well as the engine. So I do not suspect either of those two items.

Quick Reply: 68 firebird noise