Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Serpentine Belt Comes Off

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine Belt Comes Off

Can someone help me with this? For about two years now, whenever I drive in heavy rain my serpentine belt comes off. I've replaced the belt, the alternator (and pulley), the tensioner and now I'm lost as to what to try next. Do I need some kind of cover underneath the engine bay to stop water from spraying up? If so, what's it called and where can I find one please?
It's a 2001 Firebird Base Convertible. Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Katech manual tensioner fixes 99% of all belt issues.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 355 Likes on 268 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Does their tensioner work on a 3.8?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 354 Likes on 323 Posts

I would suggest this perspective:

- A manual tensioner may solve your "problem" but it won't solve the issue at hand causing the belt to be thrown. A manual tensioner also requires regular maintenance as your belt wears out and stretches. IMO - This enough of a PITA on a daily driver to track down the real issue.

The belt should be "balanced" on the pulleys as the engine turns. Water will reduce friction on the smooth pulleys, but that shouldn't cause a problem. (It didn't when the car came from the factory.) Things like a worn/damaged pulley or a pulley out of alignment with the others can cause forces pushing the belt out of line.

Have you checked the surface of your pulleys for damage and made sure they are all lined up? Different cars use the same P/S pump and alternator with different pulley spacings, so putting on the wrong part or an error by a reman operation can cause you these problems.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 PM

Default Interesting

Thanks to everyone that's commented so far, some good food for thought here. I'd still like to know if there's an easy way to put some kind of cover underneath, I've had this on all my previous cars, so I don't know if mine is missing one or if Firebirds just don't have them. Curious though...
As for the pulleys being damaged or out of alignment, I'm really not sure. They all look ok as best I can see and then only part I've replaced is the alternator (twice!). I wonder if this is an indication of one of the pumps starting to fail? The whole things is weird to me. I've had my car for 7 years and only started doing this a couple of years ago. Each time I think I've solved the problem, next rain storm off it pops. Thankfully we don't get that much rain here in Colorado, but now it's getting to the point that I don't want to drive in the rain, which is stupid!
Old 08-03-2015, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

i have the '02 firebird with the 3800. i just replaced my alternator 2x now. a re-manufactured one was the first, and the diameter of the pulley was smaller than OEM. Due to a knocking sound in the alternator, I replaced that one with an OEM and the pulley was the correct size.

not sure if pulley diameters are your problem or not.

after i replaced alternator, them my idler pulley assembly went bad - belt was vibrating all over the place. replaced the idler pulley assembly, and now its acting as it should

On my bird, there is no splash shield.

make sure all pulleys are free from contamination (oils etc) take your belt off and clean all of them with brake cleaner
Old 08-04-2015, 10:48 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

The belt tensioner is designed to be halfway between it's total movement. If it's at one end or the other, your belt may be to short or too long.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

This thread shows the shield which came on convertibles:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...19745492,d.amc

Originally Posted by grahamengland
Thanks to everyone that's commented so far, some good food for thought here. I'd still like to know if there's an easy way to put some kind of cover underneath, I've had this on all my previous cars, so I don't know if mine is missing one or if Firebirds just don't have them. Curious though...
Old 04-20-2016, 06:18 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Called "generator splash shield" GM part number 10402846. Still available!

It came on all LS cars.

Quick Reply: Serpentine Belt Comes Off