Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

How to wire window motors from scratch?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to wire window motors from scratch?

I've cut out every wire in the entire car, installed the Holley Dominator ECU, and made a panel to rewire the few things that I'm keeping. But I just cant figure out the window motors. When I search the only thing I can find is how to bypass the window module and stuff like that. I've figured everything else out but stuck on these.

There are two wires coming out the motors. I'm assuming they are both power wires, one for up and one for down. But then where is the ground? I wouldnt think the door can be ground because everything looks to be fiberglass. And if one of the wires are ground then how the heck do you make the window go up and down with only one other wire.

I'm not even wanting to use either of the window switches on the door. I plan on using two 3-way switches on a switch panel where the radio used to be.

Name:  IMAG0467_zpskoi8jlye.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  209.4 KB
Old 10-31-2015, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

140 views but no replies or answers. Maybe this will help. Hopefully someone can decode this encrypted message of BS lol. This is beyond me. If the motors just had a simple ground wire that would make everything so easy. I just cant figure out how you get up and down with two power wires.

Name:  Screenshot%2055_zpsbazyiiqp.png
Views: 1179
Size:  50.8 KB
Old 10-31-2015, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, only two wires to the motors. The switch controls the direction of current, which causes the motors to rotate one way or the other. How complicated your wiring is depends on a couple things. Are you using the factory window switches? And do you want to keep the express down module?
Old 10-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm pretty sure it's grounded through the driver window switch, so when it see's power it send power to both the driver and passenger window switches. then when the switch get's pressed it closes which grounds the circuit and then sends that info to the power window control module and then that module tells whatever regulator which way to go
Old 10-31-2015, 09:34 PM
11 Second Club

Spartan7, I can use factory switches or put in a couple switches on my switch panel, whichever is easier and less wiring. And no I'm not keeping express down or the window control module.

Stitch1717, I'm no longer using the control module so sounds like I'm going to have to use DPDT relays or switches or both, I dont know. So confusing.

I really wish these things were as easy to wire as the starter and alternator was.
Old 11-01-2015, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

NICE!!!! also interested I'm not there yet with my other build and it is being wired from "scratch" also
Old 11-01-2015, 08:20 PM
11 Second Club

01badbird, I found a video on youtube

Seems like you can do it with 2 three position switches and 4 SPST relays with the 87a prong for ground. Instead of the fuses I'm going to use 30a circuit breakers.
Old 11-02-2015, 10:31 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 328 Likes on 300 Posts

The motor has two wires. Put positive and negative to them one way the window goes one way. Reverse the polarity and it goes the other way - simple.

If you don't want to use the stock switches or have the passenger side wired through the driver's side, then you can use a simple DPDT switch and cross the terminals so that then you flip the switch in different directions, it reverses the polarity to the circuit.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:38 AM
11 Second Club

Not sure if I'm allowed to add a link to the switch but I bought two 3 way momentary polarity reversing switches and putting a 20 amp circuit breaker on each switch. Seems like a lot less wiring and 0 relays compared to 4 needed in the youtube video. Hopefully this idea works

Last edited by Jc803; 11-03-2015 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:13 PM
Save the manuals!

Sure. Just post a link to the switch manufacturer vs. the retailer you bought it from. (if you can)
Old 11-03-2015, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.gamainc.com/site/epage/130299_941.htm

Name:  Polarity_Reversing_Toggle_Wiring_zpsi6ewz7qg.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  25.8 KB
Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for info and please keep updated if switch works. I'm building a budget car to use at track only so trying to keep cheap and simple!
Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 AM
Save the manuals!

Yep. That will work. It's just a DPDT switch with the terminals crossed. They just did that work for you by putting the jumpers in at the factory. You can make any DPDT switch do this by soldering wires in the same location as their jumpers.

BTW - Wells Electronics is giving a free webinar on window motor systems tomorrow if you have a few minutes to kill at lunch. I don't know how good it will be, but you may find it interesting:

New Webinar Announced:

For everyone who does NOT do it everyday

Grab your computer, smart phone or tablet and check out the next Wells Tech Webinar. This less than thirty-minute presentation gives you direct access to the Wells Tech team of ASE-certified technicians as it dissects and discovers
Power Window Diagnostics at its next lunch and Learn webinar.

This webinar will cover:
  • Step by step through the wiring diagram
  • How power windows function
  • How to use the wiring diagram as a diagnostic tool
  • On car demo
Date: Thursday November 5, 2015
Time: 12 noon
The less than thirty-minute session will broadcast four times, allowing each time zone to start at noon local time: EST, CST, MST and PST. You need not be in the specific time zone to watch.
Cost: No

There is no need to register. Simply visit WellsVE.com/webcasts on Thursday November 5, 2015, and select the link that best fits your schedule. You do not need to be in the time zone you choose.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:55 AM
11 Second Club

When you explained how to wire a DPDT switch I was a little confused. But now that you said this switch is what you were talking about it all makes sense and now I see that it is a DPDT switch with terminals already done for you lol. Pretty neat of them to think of something like that.

Also think its cool that they do webinars. Sounds like a good company
Old 11-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Jc803
Also think its cool that they do webinars. Sounds like a good company
They are. There isn't much to differentiate their sensors from other companies, but I try to purchase them whenever I can because of things like this. They also put out newsletters called "Counterpoint," which are really informative. I haven't seen any other companies do this kind of thing.

Lately, they have had some really interesting sessions on servicing electric vehicles. The Mrs. and I may be getting a Chevy Volt golf cart for our next grocery getter, so the sessions have been especially helpful.

Quick Reply: How to wire window motors from scratch?