Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

At a cross road....

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 11:41 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default At a cross road....

Looking for opinions.....

I have an 02 WS6 with bolt-ons and just about maxed out and have to decide on building the car or keeping it as is. The car was purchased as a 2nd owner before me. Only mods were headers back and lid. Since then I have done SFC, sways, springs, shocks, watts link, ss lines, sticky rubber, fstb, LCA's, and BEST tune.

I don't have too many bolt-ons left. I have a power steering pump ready to get installed next (car is in storage now).

My debate is modding to 8-900whp with heads, cam, intake, and procharger or keeping it as is. I'm really torn. I have the $$ to do it, but it'll take 2 years for that and additional mods........between those and rear, clutch, driveshaft etc.

What would you do? Take this on over 2 years or more, or buy a new ride like a 911, Z06, GTR or another car??

Thoughts/opinions??

I just can't decide. This is the year I need to plan as it's go for the afore mentioned mods vs selling to buy more modern/upgrade.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:26 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the money to do it why would it take you two years? If it were me i would stick with what i already have and work on it as i can. if it were going to make the car be down for two years id just leave it as it is and collect the required items so i could still enjoy the car. Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what you should do but at the end of the day you need to make the decision on your own because ultimately you'll be the one that has to live with it.
Old 12-24-2015, 08:57 AM
Launching!

I have the means to do it come spring, but would prefer to spread out that kind of cash over 2 years. It's a big decision for a car that will never see that $ return. Any money I spend now is just a loss if I ever decide to sell.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Personally, if I had the money for a Z06 (Im assuming a C6 or C7) and was even considering selling my Trans Am, I would just sell it and get the Corvette.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:33 PM
Launching!

I just debate it because back in the early 2000's I crashed my 96 Z28. Having the option of buying a $40k car vs. f-body, I went back to the WS6. There's always been a place in my heart for these cars, but now having the option to buy a $60-90K car after getting a GREAT job....I can't decide on what to do!

Either way I need to decide this year to either mod the WS6, or keep it as is for a couple years, sell it and get XYZ(911/GTR/Z06/CTSV/Rossion Q1/Exige). I'm not too brand bias. I'm pretty open if I upgrade, sorry!
Old 12-25-2015, 01:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by MaSTi
I just debate it because back in the early 2000's I crashed my 96 Z28. Having the option of buying a $40k car vs. f-body, I went back to the WS6. There's always been a place in my heart for these cars, but now having the option to buy a $60-90K car after getting a GREAT job....I can't decide on what to do!
There is another option then, the one that I chose myself.

I've also had a special connection to these cars for nearly 20 years now, so much so that even as my financial means greatly improved I still opted to keep one (sometimes two at once) in my collection. But, like you, I also had a craving for something else, in my case it was classic muscle - so I bought one of those too and kept them both. If you can afford a $90k car, then the [relatively] small amount of money your 4th gen will bring isn't going to drastically alter your financial position either way. So you might consider keeping what you have, enjoy it as-is for what it is and perhaps build it later or not, and buy other additional cars as you see fit. I know some people like to concentrate all their time and funds on a single car, that sort of lifestyle just isn't for me but, if that's your preferred scenario then this option might not apply.
Old 12-25-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 454 Likes on 329 Posts

I agree ^^^. I'm not always in the financial position of owning multiple cars yet I own 3 with my 3rd car always being in the 'collectible' or 'special' category. It's always been that way for me since the 80's. Cars are just that important to me and always have been. I wish I had space for more! Only you know how much cars mean to you and what decisions to pursuit. If you feel you might have regrets selling, then it's a given that that's exactly what will happen. Since space is an issue, and the car is in storage already, keep the car there for 2 years and then decide at that time. If you are glad you kept it after two years, then that's the best $$$ you ever spent. Good luck with everything and definitely get that new ride since you have the bucks. I would. You never know what the future holds.
Old 12-25-2015, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Yeah, but that's the problem. I don't have a garage....I sore it at a friends for several months a year(6 months). I could own two, but then I'm paying to store multiple cars. I could own two, but at that point I'd want to add a garage to my house! That's more $$ out of my pocket.....especially since I'd do a BIG garage with extra living space, more heat, electric, and plumbing.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:06 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,096 Posts

Originally Posted by MaSTi
Yeah, but that's the problem. I don't have a garage....I sore it at a friends for several months a year(6 months). I could own two, but then I'm paying to store multiple cars. I could own two, but at that point I'd want to add a garage to my house! That's more $$ out of my pocket.....especially since I'd do a BIG garage with extra living space, more heat, electric, and plumbing.
Honestly, I can't imagine being in this hobby and owning a house without a garage. At times I've needed to rent space, especially when I was younger and didn't have one available at home, but the thought of owning a house without a garage wouldn't even be on the table for me. In fact, it's more likely that I would buy a garage without a house!

Might be worthwhile to consider putting some of this money towards building that garage then. It's a real hassle to keep cars off-site, and who wants to be restricted to just one car at a time for the rest of their lives? Plus, no money will be wasted on such a project as it will increase the value of your home should you decide to move.

I'm in the same position as NC01TA; it's hard for me to even remember a time when I had less than three cars, sometimes I've had as many as five, and I've had at least two since I was about 17 years old. I would consider two toys plus a daily driver to be a bare minimum (plus a daily driver for the wife), that's my current count but it's not really satisfactory for me so I'm passively in the market for one more.
Old 12-25-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Really ask yourself what you want, and if you still are undecided then test drive the xyz cars, buy the one you like the best and keep the TA for now, so if you decide you still like the TA better you can sell the car you bought and stick with the TA. If you buy the new car and find yourself not wanting the TA anymore then you can sell it.
That's the safe way IMO.
Old 12-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Launching!

That is the other debate in my life....to build a garage OR to buy a new house that already has a garage. LOL. It's like you guys are reading my mind!! We don't have much left to pay on our house, so it's a likely possibility for the near future.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In that case, build the garage, keep the TA as it is for now and then in a couple years, snag a C6 Z06 for cheap. They're going down in price pretty nicely from what I hear.
Old 12-29-2015, 01:52 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 195 Likes on 164 Posts

All the other considerations notwithstanding, how do you plan to use the car? Occasional street cruiser? Autocross? Road course? Drag Strip? The answer to that question will determine what mods make sense.

800-900 rwhp? What for? My stalled A4 car makes about 340rwhp and can't hook on the street with most drag radials. All the power in the world is useless if you can't put it to the ground. So it depends on what you want to do with the car and getting it set up properly for that.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:42 AM
Launching!

I am laying down 355/345 for power. You can see my sig for suspension parts. I'm currently running R888s for 80% street and 20% auto-x. It'll be a big step since I'm a M6 and will therefore need to upgrade the drivetrain.

At this point it'll all depend on what people offer my car. I DON"T have to sell it at all, but as it sits I currently don't have the room for another car. Come spring I'll have a plan on what to do.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
800-900 rwhp? What for? My stalled A4 car makes about 340rwhp and can't hook on the street with most drag radials.
Seriously? I have quite a bit more than 340 and I have no problem with street tires...

To the OP, you said you've come about as far as you can with the bolt ons. You haven't even mentioned H/C/I, etc. You've got a ways to go before you don't have any bolt ons left to do...
Old 04-13-2016, 05:34 PM
Launching!

I wanted to do H/C/I at the some time I'd do a blower, but I plan now has changed. Work has been crazy so I may just take my time. I just hate thinking I'll build half now and half later aka half drivetrain now and half power later or vice versa.

My buddy JUST found I had a huge crack in my Y-pipe, so that was fixed today. Tomorrow It'll come out of storage! YAY!

Quick Reply: At a cross road....