Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Trans am or Camaro help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2016, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans am or Camaro help!

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and need help... My problem is I can't make up my mind whether or not to keep my 95 trans am or sell it and get a Camaro. My T/A has the 5.7 v8 and it's an automatic and has a mean exhaust and headers. Also only 105xxx miles and everything works. Torn leather seats too anyways the header has kind of a bad leak and it turns out the guy I bought it from put wrong headers on (I was told that my block is shaped more like a D instead of an O) and he told me he can do new headers and install for about 750. This is about half of what I have in the bank. And to fix my seats would be roughly 500 too.

Now I can sell my T/A for around 7000 and I found a few camaros with around 70 or 80k and a stick shift (which I feel I would enjoy a lot more) and for about 5-6 thousand dollars. The only issue is there is an air conditioning problem with the ones I find and I don't want to spend 1000 on fixing it.

I really do like the look of the T/A and essentially they are the same as the camaros besides look. So my question is should I spend the money to fix mine or go with 30k less miles and a stick and not torn seats but not stand out as much?? I hope I explained everything decently
Old 01-24-2016, 11:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

I would rather have the automatic, but also rather have a Camaro, so our tastes are definitely different in this area.

Having said that, depending on your location I think that $7k for you car, as described (105k, leaking headers, torn seats, A4 trans, '95 model), is extremely optimistic. A 6-figure mileage LT1 A4 car with some issues wouldn't bring close to $7k in my area, and we have a high cost of living. So if you're counting on that figure, you might want to re-evaluate the decision to sell.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:08 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

Having said that, depending on your location I think that $7k for you car, as described (105k, leaking headers, torn seats, A4 trans, '95 model), is extremely optimistic. A 6-figure mileage LT1 A4 car with some issues wouldn't bring close to $7k in my area, and we have a high cost of living. So if you're counting on that figure, you might want to re-evaluate the decision to sell.
2nded
Old 01-24-2016, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I would rather have the automatic, but also rather have a Camaro, so our tastes are definitely different in this area.

Well the thing is I see them go for easily $6k with either rebuilt engines or upwards of 180k miles (I know miles isn't everything but it helps to have less) and the condition of mine isn't too bad either so I feel my price is reasonable. I don't know if it's just an area thing or maybe I'm just a little pricey :/
Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

I went from a 94 automatic Z28 to a 99 6 speed SS.. I thought the same way bout enjoying the 6 speed a lot more.. Well I don't! Don't get me wrong it is fun an all but the biggest thing about it for me is its jus A lot rougher feeling on the car than jus putting my foot down in my Z.. Tell my cousin ALL the time I wish Ida found another automatic...
Old 01-25-2016, 03:26 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,488 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by transamman43
Well the thing is I see them go for easily $6k with either rebuilt engines or upwards of 180k miles (I know miles isn't everything but it helps to have less) and the condition of mine isn't too bad either so I feel my price is reasonable. I don't know if it's just an area thing or maybe I'm just a little pricey :/
Do you just see them listed for $6k, or do you know for a fact that they've actually sold for this price? If the latter, then I'm coming to your area to sell cars from now on, sounds like people are frequently willing to overpay.

You can certainly try listing you car for $7k, but I suspect the price would have to come down by thousands of dollars to actually get it sold. All you can do is try, but you may be unpleasantly surprised.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

If you only have $1500 in the bank, I would keep working and saving money before you decide to invest in a newer car. Any car you buy will cost money in repairs and maintenance. Keep your car for a while longer before making a decision.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 442 Likes on 319 Posts

transamman43, I believe you should keep and fix your car. You know exactly what is wrong and how much you need to fix it. Buying an old 'used car' has unknown problems attached to it, and possibly worse issues than yours. No way will you you be getting a 'problem free' old used car with 70,000+ miles on it. You could be kicking yourself with a new purchase that will cost you more than just keeping and fixing your current ride. If you were tired of F-bodies, then that would be different. You obviously enjoy them. Best of luck!

Quick Reply: Trans am or Camaro help!