Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

4th Gen Firebirds as Future Colletables

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2016, 12:04 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,213 Posts

Originally Posted by wannafbody
Some of the 4th gen WS6 cars are sub 500 per color, per year, that's pretty rare.
In terms of value, color rarity alone isn't comparable to something like rarity of a special high performance engine. They are all still an LS1, same as a base Formula. Thing about color is that it's subjective - some (or perhaps many) people won't even like the color (part of the reason why it's rare in the first place), so there will be a limit to the premium that can be attached to this single factor. But everyone loves more power and better performance from their performance car, so options like more powerful factory engines and HD drivetrains are the primary factors behind the super high dollar value of some original-era muscle cars. This is a factor which 4th gens don't share.

For a comparison, a 120 mile 97 Miata went for 24K with all of 130HP. A mint Firehawk went for 16K at Mecum. I think those numbers should be reversed.
Was the Firehawk also 3-digit mileage?
Old 11-01-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

I doubt it. But the Firehawk had twice as many cylinders.
Old 11-02-2016, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some of the 4th gen WS6 cars are sub 500 per color, per year, that's pretty rare. For a comparison, a 120 mile 97 Miata went for 24K with all of 130HP. A mint Firehawk went for 16K at Mecum. I think those numbers should be reversed.
true,

but it really isn't that difficult to obtain a "1 of whatever" f body considering the basis that makes it that. Some of these craigslist ads for f bodies capitalize on "1 of 24" or whatever, but it turns out your 1 of 24 in that year, tranny, engine, body style, that got a monsoon (just an example) and the rest didn't. While some of the color options may be a bit more rare, as said above its not enough to justify a high dollar price, especially when the majority of them are high mileage nowadays. Back in 2000 nobody bought a sunset orange to not put miles and mods on it you know?
Old 11-02-2016, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by usnfenix
true,

but it really isn't that difficult to obtain a "1 of whatever" f body considering the basis that makes it that. Some of these craigslist ads for f bodies capitalize on "1 of 24" or whatever, but it turns out your 1 of 24 in that year, tranny, engine, body style, that got a monsoon (just an example) and the rest didn't.

I always get a kick out of seeing this on CL as well: "1 of XX in this color combo plus a CD changer! Super rare!!!!" As if that CD changer or having traction control without a rear window defroster, or something like this, is going to make the car a Barrett-Jackson record breaker. Haha. Rarity of that degree might add to the "cool" factor as a matter of personal pride for some owners, but it's not substantial enough to ever bring a big price premium - especially to a car with average driver type mileage.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1 of 49 auto monsoon lol.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6

I always get a kick out of seeing this on CL as well: "1 of XX in this color combo plus a CD changer! Super rare!!!!" As if that CD changer or having traction control without a rear window defroster, or something like this, is going to make the car a Barrett-Jackson record breaker. Haha. Rarity of that degree might add to the "cool" factor as a matter of personal pride for some owners, but it's not substantial enough to ever bring a big price premium - especially to a car with average driver type mileage.
exactly, I love those ads on FB and craigslist that are all about this stuff, its the little details that make me laugh, like how "1 of XX" is usually in all caps and bold, or the guys that make the name of the car super long and capitalize the letters to make it more important. I.E "2002 Trans Am WS6 30th Anniversary Limited Edition SLP Sunset Orange Metallic"

I mean by these guys logic my car is super rare because it was 1 of 1 built in red, in 1998, on a Tuesday, with an Irish worker who owned 2 cats, who wasn't half assing it that day because he got laid the previous night.

Rare Bro, this glory could be yours.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 844 Likes on 646 Posts

Well, the 98 purple cars seem to command a higher price. The sport gold cars are rare but I don't think they are as well sought out as the purple ones. Maple red is pretty rare too.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:40 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Well, the 98 purple cars seem to command a higher price. The sport gold cars are rare but I don't think they are as well sought out as the purple ones. Maple red is pretty rare too.
I've seen exactly the opposite.

BPM is a hard color to sell, unless perhaps it was an ultra low mileage car that was in #1 or #2 collector condition. Only then would the rarity of the color add significant value - and only to select buyers within that already small group. Otherwise, the color is mostly disliked so a price premium would only further detract from potential buyers.

Here's a local one that's been for sale all year. The price has come down some, but still no takers with an apparent price premium for rarity factored in:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/5831778615.html
Old 11-08-2016, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree 100%. Every time I was in the market for an f body if I had seen that car I would have moved on unless the price was super low. Nothing against purple, just its not the color for my car.
Old 11-08-2016, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

17 SOM Firehawk TA Convertibles were made- that's all...I have seen twice people specifically looking for one to buy. Best would be a 345hp '02 . Color seems to matter sometimes.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:01 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Firehawk 182
17 SOM Firehawk TA Convertibles were made- that's all...I have seen twice people specifically looking for one to buy. Best would be a 345hp '02 . Color seems to matter sometimes.
SOM is different; this color is both rare and [currently] generally desirable, similar to Hugger Orange. BPM is rare but not generally desirable. The "demand" part of supply/demand will always matter more than supply (rarity) alone.
Old 11-27-2016, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

A car is only worth what somebody is willing to pay. I always have an fbody or two in my garage... I would consider myself pretty educated on them. Typically i'll buy em, clean em up, do some tasteful mods, enjoy em, then sell em ALWAYS making a profit. I have bought and sold everything from IROC's, to 93 Indy Pace cars, to 35th Collector SS's, 99 Hugger Orange SS's and everything in between. the one that sticks out for me and I wish I had never sold was my 01 Firehawk... heads,cam,intake car w full bolt ons, Yank SS3600 it was perfect! Paid $9K for the car.. put about $3K in it and sold it for $15.5 cash to a dude up in Canada. He actually flew into DFW, I picked he and his wife up and they drove it home. ( 6 day drive). He knew what he was looking for as two of his brothers owned Firehawks,. It was by far the nicest fbody I have owned. Oh, and it had roughly 90K..... I still keep in touch w the guy, that was about 3-4 yrs ago....

I recently picked up a 97 WS6.. this car is showroom condition. a 77 y/o owned it
(second owner) and DD for a few years. To see it, and drive it you would think it was dealer new... no cracks, no tears, everything works, cabin even smells new.. Ttops had never been removed, back seats had never been sat in, front seat rarely saw a passenger. I am gonna post some pics soon in this section. Its a prime example of a soon to be 20 y/o classic. and you typicall do not see the 96-97 TA WS6's on the hwy! collectable? maybe, maybe not... But I would be that I could get way more than I paid for it "if" I ever decided to sell. I would love to own a Berger car someday..... that is one that I would most likely keep. Ok, off my soapbox now...
Old 12-03-2016, 01:23 PM
Launching!

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Beautiful Bright Silver Firehawk there

Silver on the WS6's look great, show all the lines well

But to answer the original posters question, these are not collector cars, they are mass produced muscle cars that struck a balance between muscle and street performance and have a unique look and feel. They are not for everyone, enjoy them while you have the chance.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm at the point why not beat the **** out of it. It's no Yenko so might as well.
Old 12-04-2016, 03:30 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Ruffturbo911
I'm at the point why not beat the **** out of it. It's no Yenko so might as well.
The likely truth is that the vast majority of these cars will never be worth (adjusted for inflation) significantly more than what they are today. Certain examples will be somewhat of an exception to that, but none will ever be a Barrett-Jackson show stopper in the order of a Hemi Cuda, etc.

Having said that, I wouldn't be interested in beating the **** out of mine. I'm trying hard to keep it exceptionally nice for the remainder of my life, so careful usage and excellent care will be the continued program for me. I don't care if it's worth $5,000 or $50,000 decades down the road, I will treat it the same either way.
Old 12-04-2016, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 510 Likes on 368 Posts

These may not be valuable 'collector' cars at present or even in the future, but people really like them here in the southeast. I get the compliments on a regular basis. Just going to a fast food place the other night I had a pickup truck follow me into the lot and park right next to me. He loved the car and asked if it was for sale.
The nice ones are not seen on the road very often. I see very few even when I travel to a big city like Atlanta. Lots of looks and a favorite at car shows as well. Convertibles may not be real popular on this site but they sure attract attention on the road. Just so few around. Having a one owner garage kept example is now getting to be a rarity. Will it add value one day? It might but I also don't own it for re-sale purposes. Like RPM WS6 stated above, it's my baby whatever the value. I have never owned a car for so long. Not even close.
The pic below was at a show this past summer.
4th Gen Firebirds as Future Colletables-dsc01930.jpg
Old 12-04-2016, 11:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 94 Likes on 74 Posts

I love my little 97Ws6 I just picked up... Its about as clean as it gets. I plan on holding on to this one for quite sometime.

Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive seen a lot of FB posts lately on F body empire of people asking about getting hagerty insurance and getting the 1500 mile a year plans as if their z28's are Yenkos.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I don't really mean "beat the **** out of it" but if you can't stomp on it now an again what's the point? The apparently weak rear can be fixed or replaced. Same goes for the transmission. I'm going to Vericom the car soon and get an idea of 0-60 1/4 mile HP and so on.

If it's a cruiser and you want to pass it on as an heirloom so be it. It's all good, but I don't see the average dealer TA Formula or Firebird rocketing up in price. Special editions may see a faster increase in value.
Old 12-05-2016, 05:41 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by usnfenix
Ive seen a lot of FB posts lately on F body empire of people asking about getting hagerty insurance and getting the 1500 mile a year plans as if their z28's are Yenkos.
I've had a Grundy collector policy on mine for almost 10 years now. They don't do the mileage limitation thing, but if you use the car sparingly as a weekend toy then it makes good sense - especially if you have a nice one that's worth more on the general market than what KBB/normal insurance would value it at, should there be a loss.

I don't really mean "beat the **** out of it" but if you can't stomp on it now an again what's the point?
Occasional WOT action is not an issue at all, that's just spirited driving which is sort of the point with a car such as this. I do that with my '71 too. But I wouldn't ever refer to that as "beating the **** out of it." I don't abuse them, or neglect them, or drive them like race cars every time I take them out. And that has nothing to do with value or saving them for someone else, it's just a matter of wanting to keep them nice weekend toys for as long as I own them. I've had my '98 for 12 years already and I may have it for 30+ more, so I'd like it to stay in exceptional condition for the duration.

Quick Reply: 4th Gen Firebirds as Future Colletables