Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Blackbyrd origin

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 09:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 350 Likes on 263 Posts

Finally got my exhaust to quit sagging.... it's not the most elegant solution, but I doubt the will tilt down again.

used hanger strap around the pipe just behind the tips and used the bolts the rear crumple zone bolt too to make a hanger results are the best I've ever gotten

Old 05-20-2022, 02:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Got lazy........ I'd made some foam cores to fiberglass some bumper vents and I just couldn't get in the mood to start messing with fiberglass again knowing I wanted smooth and even looking surface.

So I went back to the interwebs and found a easy option that is gonna have a smooth surface

Ac vent register adapters...... thinking I'll paint them black maybe plastidip

The following users liked this post:
WS6 #3392 (07-22-2022)
Old 05-20-2022, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 310 Likes on 172 Posts

Looks good in the vent! You going to use it for brake cooling or something else?
Old 05-20-2022, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

The plan was all ways brake vents since it's a NA motor. But got my work cut out for me moving things out of the way to get to the spindle. Gonna have to relocate the horn onnthe passenger side.

The outlet pretty much dumps intonthe engine bay under the frame at this point but it's a 6 inch outlet... ill have to get/fab a reducter to get it down to 2 inch and funnel it down the frame to the k member to get it into the rotor. If I was a little better with sheet metal I'd probably take a Crack at making these myself and have the bed be more of a 45 or 60 degree instead of 90.... would make my job easier, but this is a fast solution and this has been on my checklist for many years
Old 05-27-2022, 04:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Got my brackets and hardware sorted out. Test fit completed bow it's just paint.......

Old 05-30-2022, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

oh man thus cleaned up so well, probably doesn't show in photos, but it was basically just open to everything beyond the bumper, wires , coolant reservoir, horn and the drl wiring now all thst is masked, as well as directing airflow where I can hookup some additional tubing to route it to my rotors.

Need a elbow that will step down from 6 to 3 inches or so though...... that maybe a challenge
WS6 #3392 (07-22-2022)
Old 06-06-2022, 09:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Slow progress these days with summer in full swing... need tk get my butt in gear so I don't miss out on prime weather. Always bothered me that you could see all this stuff through the bumper holes, part of the reason for the bumper vents, also phase 1 of big brakes, but thats a winter thing.

Anywho, since they were just hanging i builtna bracket using some left over aluminum and scrap from part out and the origial plastic clips from the engine bay tray. Holds them solid and at a good angle to access from the access panel in the splash guards. Since this cars wiring is kind of useless I intended to consolidate and delete wiring and fuses, hoped to get down to one box......... but that requires running the car and eliminating circuits to be sure. All engine related stuff is on a different harness so all the relays are useless save a few same for most of the fuses. But for now it's 2..... gotta cover the terminal though, I burned through the vent fornthe driver side installing it cause it crashed the post and chassis Soni have to make a new driverside....... delays delays
CoreyD (06-06-2022)
Old 06-07-2022, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

So paint fail??? Never seen plastidip do this before

Old 06-14-2022, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Okay weeks to late, but the payoff was worth it! The cheapest bumper vents money can buy hahaha. Now I've gotta step 6 inches down to 2..... but thats a later project. For now I'm gonna enjoy this....... this has been in the works for near a decade so seeing it complete is a huge win.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Looks good, the hard work paid off.
blackbyrd (06-15-2022)
Old 06-15-2022, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Looks great man!
Old 06-25-2022, 01:18 PM
TECH Veteran

New splash shield hardware arrived..... can finally button up the front end......

I'm getting parts off my floor hahaha

Now if I were smart I'd finish wiring my turn signals before i did all of this.....
Old 07-21-2022, 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Still piddleing with this and that's. Back on my steering issue with that deadspot..... I put the key on and grabbed the shaft knuckles to see if there was slop........ and there was lots of it...

Not sure how to address that. It's notnthe knuckles everything is tight it just spins at the linkage to the powersteering rack.

This related to rack wear? Original rack 70k ish on it didnt seem to have the problem till i had to swap columns during the botched adapter install.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

My dead spot was caused by the bolt where the column met the rack not being tight enough. Could be worth checking out.
Old 07-22-2022, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

The part right down on the rack or where the column slips into the first universal joint?

I actually thought the one at the rack looked loose but couldn't move it by hand. Started a thread in gen maintenance asking as well. Ill give that a check
Old 08-24-2022, 09:15 PM
TECH Veteran

@CoreyD you were right that bolt at the rack was lose, I need tk take it for a drive, but it cleaned up the slop quite a bit!

Finished installing my splash panels. It's weird this car is buttoned up for the first time since I put the motor in. Am I done with it...... he'll no, but as it sets am really happy. Now I just need to quit driving the camaro and get this beast on the road.
Old 08-25-2022, 01:24 AM
TECH Resident

Glad to hear!
Old 09-07-2022, 11:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Been a long time coming, but finally preped for a full blown detail.

Just have the bumpers and lower doors left then it's wax, but man she cleaned up great for setting in a garage and not being detailed beyond a wash since 04.....

CoreyD (09-08-2022)
Old 10-11-2022, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Been busy! Drove around, got stranded, the usuals right?

Jokes aside finished my detail of the exterior, got it in the sunlight and saw swirls.... damn it. New buffer and i gave my garage lights to much credit. Need thay milwaukee detail light to go with the arsenal. Project for another time.

The stranded part was my battery relocation gone wrong. I finally tied down my main leads, but didn't know the battery moved around so much. So ordered a bmr bracket ... do it right or do it twice...

Hoping to enjoy a few more t top days before this weather gives out. Got a few interior projects coming up though so stay tuned

Also I've waited months to get this shot! Ill likely wait years before i get the 71 in anything close to the other 2s shape but 6th gen 4th gen 2nd gen...... happy garage

Old 11-30-2022, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Im going for something a bit different with the interior after all these years, the paint on the Vynil is finally starting to age out on me. When I originally did this I used a high build primer and lots of sanding and coats color and clear to hide the texture of the vinyl, but without a hardened layer like gelcoat or fiberglass there are a few cracks and nicks. So wrapping it is a sort of inbetween cause I cant decide what i want. I thought about plastidip in red (i had already painted a replacement pair of door bezels this way) or fiberglassing a new set and painting them gloss black. The alternative was due a CF set, but for the money I wanted to see it done prior. hence the wrap. Im committed to the full job, cause honestly the material is dirt cheap ( 25 bucks for a 2ftx5ft roll) and I dont mind learning something new. so I took a small section just to stick on and see how it would look in the car and to get a feel for the material. Charlie will not be involved in the final project cause her HAIR STUCK TO EVERTHNG!!!!!! The static generated by working with this stuff is rough! Immediately the red stitching became more pronounced which I like! As ive gotten older a less is more approach has been something ive adopted and considering I painted this when I was in college my tastes have changed considerably. I still like the red AC rings, but the speaker grills will likely get changed to something else. Not sure what to do with the window switch bezel yet. dont really want to CF it, but leaving it black seems odd, but the door pull bezel and arm rest will get wrapped in this and ill post pics as I go.

Last edited by blackbyrd; 11-30-2022 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Blackbyrd origin