Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Thinking about t-tops

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2017, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about t-tops

so I have a gold 98 formula hard too and I'm thinking about putting in t tops. What's everyone's thoughts and opinions?
Old 06-08-2017, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Do not do it.
Hard tops are more desirable.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Been there, done that. Turned my old hardtop Z28 into a T-Top and would never do it again if I'm honest. You'll think T-Tops are cool for a little bit and then you'll probably never use them again.

Name:  ttopinstall03_zps9a7a8302.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  428.6 KB

Name:  ttopinstall04_zps77eae6cf.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  427.5 KB

Name:  ttopinstall15_zpsbb06db60.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  365.4 KB

Name:  ttopinstall19_zps266d24b0.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  276.6 KB

Name:  ttopinstall22_zps4e6e014c.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  261.7 KB

Name:  ttopinstall18_zps624026ec.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  336.3 KB

Name:  ttopinstall17_zps14e27060.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  384.7 KB

At the end of the day, I wish I would have left it a hard top. When I snagged my current 93 Trans Am, one of the main things I really liked about it was that it is a hard top. Couldn't be happier.
Old 06-08-2017, 11:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by Stoplightbandit
so I have a gold 98 formula hard too and I'm thinking about putting in t tops. What's everyone's thoughts and opinions?
Back in 2007, when I was looking for a manual 6-speed Firehawk, I annoyed a seller of a hard-top after making it known that I wanted a T-top and might have his hard-top converted. So, that purchase never happened.

Honestly, I would be annoyed if I didn't have T-tops for the summer! They are the closest thing to having a convertible while having a more hard-top like appearance and feel. Now, with the T-tops on during the summer, you will get sun burns on your forehead if you don't have T-top shades, which attach to the glass with adhesive VELCRO® buttons and stay in place when the T-top seal pushes against them when you have the T-tops up.

So, my car is significantly cooler during the summer with more of an appearance from inside of a hard-top.

Some headaches you would run into is T-top leaks from the seals if the conversion is not done properly, and do your diligent research if you are going to have a shop do this work. I am always paranoid of my carpet after heavy rain storms, and despite my best efforts, there are going to be a few felt drips on your hand or that you will notice when looking over your shoulder. To be fair though, my car is 20 years old and it is in need of a professional restoration-modification job.

Personally, I love my T-tops because they allow me to have the feeling of having a convertible with the T-tops down on those hot summer days. I can't imagine the Camaro/Firebird brand without those iconic T-tops, then you have the new 5th generation Camaro with a sun roof...

So, I hope my opinion helps you. Even if you don't use your T-tops all the time, like me during the winter time, I am rewarded on those days when I can take them down and store them in my hatchback holders while driving with the wind blowing my hair and the sunshine beating down through those T-top openings! I love it!
Old 06-08-2017, 11:26 PM
Launching!

I love having ttopps. Mine are in great shape and dont leak. If i had a hard top tho i dont think i would want to convert it. I think ur just asking for trouble
Old 06-09-2017, 12:06 AM
Launching!

I love having t-tops. I rarely have mine on when I am driving the car around ( it's not a DD and is garage kept). That being said, the conversion looks like it is a nightmare. If you screw it up your toast. It may be more practical too just sell your hard top and buy a t-tops car if that is what you want.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Hard top cars are in demand, so if you sell your car and then buy an identical car with factory-installed T-Tops, I'd expect that you'd end up with money in your pocket at the end of it.
Old 06-09-2017, 06:31 AM
Teching In

I had a 94 Z28 back in the day with T-Tops. Shopping for my current ride I was looking for a T-Top car after having a convertible and not liking it. I found a great deal on a red SS though that I just had to have. It's a hard top though. But after having it for a short while I am actually glad it's a hard top. No squeaks or rattles anywhere and no worries about leaks. I joke that if a hardtop is good enough for a Z06 it's good enough for me.
Old 06-09-2017, 08:28 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mike TA
I love having t-tops. I rarely have mine on when I am driving the car around ( it's not a DD and is garage kept). That being said, the conversion looks like it is a nightmare. If you screw it up your toast. It may be more practical too just sell your hard top and buy a t-tops car if that is what you want.
I have too many mods to sell it. Taking them all off would be a complete pain in the ***.
n
Old 06-09-2017, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you all for your opinions and sharing your experiences. It's much appreciated.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 204 Likes on 162 Posts

A rare hardtop Formula, and a rare, 1-year only SGM color at that? Don't chop it up to put T-tops in, that'd be a damn shame.
Old 06-09-2017, 02:04 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
A rare hardtop Formula, and a rare, 1-year only SGM color at that? Don't chop it up to put T-tops in, that'd be a damn shame.
This. Had to have a similar "come to Jesus" talk with the GF when she thought she wanted to convert and repaint her factory hard top Bright Green Metallic on Tan Firebird. I told her lets sell the rare combo car and buy a common color one and do that with, or leave this one alone.

Find a Quality alignment shop near you!
Old 06-09-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 329 Likes on 247 Posts

Ive had both, I much prefer t tops. In the summer months even when it was my daily I rarely had them in. Awesome feature for the car personally. im planning on converting my 71 when I get to that point. some of my favorite memories are trips to the coast and beech areas and having the tops off and windows down on those cool nights.......man I need to get my heap running again.

To the rarity of the car thing. yes its rare for what it is, but in the grand scheme of things is that really going to mean anything in 5-10 years? The collector market isnt what it was and even pristine examples of 4th gens arent bringing in the money like 60-70 musclecars were. they arnet even starting to increase/hold value yet and they are at the 15 year mark the exception being collector cars like the hawks and CETA's or anniversarry cars. I definitely wouldnt look at them as an investment, buts thats me and i dont keep anything stock.

so my two lincolns is if you are concerned with the value of the car, then id sell it and buy one with them. If thats not your deal then I wouldnt be made to feel guilty about it either. But for whats its worth if its not your daily id look into the cost of buying a ttop car vs the cost of parts,paint, and time as it may surprise you that its cheaper and easier.
Old 06-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Thank you all for your opinions and sharing your experiences. It's much appreciated.
Are you just going to drop this bomb on us regarding a rare car and leave us hanging??? Do we have to stay tuned in to see what happens?
Old 06-10-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I have too many mods to sell it. Taking them all off would be a complete pain in the ***.
n
That's the fun of the hobby. Buy the new car park un side by side and remove n replace the modes. Yeah it sucks but its all about getting what you want from our cars.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
LOL. That's the only reason I haven't done it already. When I bought the car, I had no idea how rare it was and planned on painting it NBM and install T-tops. Then I did my research and realized what I had. Apparently the guy that sold it to me for 4800 from a single owner and 105k on the dash didnt know it either.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
That's the fun of the hobby. Buy the new car park un side by side and remove n replace the modes. Yeah it sucks but its all about getting what you want from our cars.
This. Or, just buy a t-top car that comes along for a good price and drive both. Come, join the multi F-Body dark side, haha!

Name:  2BD73E94-E6BF-4464-ADF9-A335B73AE260_zps93xvcox0.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  192.8 KB
Old 06-10-2017, 10:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by wssix99
Are you just going to drop this bomb on us regarding a rare car and leave us hanging??? Do we have to stay tuned in to see what happens?
Sorry lol. I think I'll leave it alone. I am changing the grey interior to black from an '02 T-top WS6 I have. It's totaled on the driver side and the "frame" is twisted so I bought it as a donor. I'm going to swap the hoods and rear hatches but I'll keep the originals in case I ever decide to sell it. But I doubt that will ever happen.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
I think I'm just going to save up for a third gen 5.7 Camaro with a manual and turn that into a T-top. It's a shame none of the five speeds had T-tops.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TechCam97
This. Or, just buy a t-top car that comes along for a good price and drive both. Come, join the multi F-Body dark side, haha!

Will you marry me?

Quick Reply: Thinking about t-tops