Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?

New to the LS1Tech world, but long time German car guy who's now dabbling in domestics. I realize that I am probably barking up the wrong tree with this ask since it's not LSx related, but here goes.

I've got a perfectly-good, great condition 1981 turbo TA (called 'Blue Bandit') that still today is all original including the goofy 301turbo Pontiac engine an the TH350 trans. Starts, runs, drives and pretty much works as well (or not so) the day it came off the assembly line. A dog off the line, but has some hustle when the boost finally comes on.

This weekend a known-good '95 Vette LT-1 w/ECU and Painless harness just landed in my lap and is on a stand in the garage. I owned this specific motor 15yrs ago when I had installed it into an '87 Audi 5000 Quattro chassis (long story). The owner called me to say the chassis was shot all these years later, but I could have the engine back so I snagged it. My pre-LT intention was to spend the money and dunk a 200R4 to give Blue better highway legs; but now I think I may want to consider pulling the 301t and installing the LT-1 + 4L60E since I have all the electronics to control it anyway.

Here I sit with a dilemma. Convert or stand-ground?
Cons of the 301t - I'm not a carb guy so those charms/foibles are lost on me, my spouse thinks the car stinks up the garage when it fires up, takes a while for it to get on boil in terms of boost, and while not a 301t problem the TH350 is slipping at higher throttle positions, needs rebuilt and is not ideal for 70-80mph cruising that is the norm in TX
Pros of the 301t - it's in there, it's working and is not throwing any codes, does not get horrible MPG, and is original numbers matching etc

Cons of the LT-1 - Needs installed and no one makes convenient kits for Gen-II small block into Gen 2 Body that I can find, might be giving up some torque compared to 301t when it's "on boost", puts car on Resto-Mod path vs. stock original badge of honor it has now
Pros of the LT-1 - EFI, reliability, supportability, increased usable-torque and responsiveness, computer control of an OD-trans

Before I get a lot farther in my question of the day.. Has anyone on this board done this and care to comment? Or is this a case of Keep it original and Sell It, to find a lesser nice one and dunk that engine?
Attached Thumbnails Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?-img_3398.jpg   Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?-img_3399.jpg   Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?-img_3400.jpg  
Old 08-16-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 437 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm a 'stock' guy all the way but that car is so nice looking in the photos I would be very tempted to install a quality LT1 in there. If the LT1 isn't worn out I would do it. I had one in my '96 Formula for 9 years and I have one in my C4 now. Solid engines and fast enough. The 80's engines were just so lackluster in comparison, and a swap sure would eliminate that stinky garage. I owned an ultra low mileage '87 Chev Aerocoupe and often wondered how sweet it would be to get a good performing engine in there. Being that 'stock' guy I just could not do it. If you have the ability, and that LT1 is decent, what a sweet ride you would have, and a happy wife! Whatever you decide, good luck with it.
Old 08-16-2017, 11:35 AM

Awesome that is 1-vote for LT-1! And I am leaning that direction...

Now I am not attempting to turn this brisk-cruiser into a track or quarter-miler bruiser at all. So given that mission what in the engine/trans department would be part of your qualification of 'quality' LT-1?

This particulat engine is a non-leaker, had great compression when last checked and will clean up nicely from a cosmetic PoV.

My thinking was to switch from the Vette manifolds to someone's shorty or mid-length headers and then feed out to either dual 2.5's or 3's from an exhaust side. I am tempted to otherwise leave things alone on the intake with the possible exception of the cam. But as this engine has never been cracked open since the factory, I am a bit reluctant to go in there without explicit need.

As far as the must-do items to make the 4L60E play well with the weight of the '81 TA and feel sporty-stock I am all ears for suggestions. Or is it best to just go factory all the way and use a stock Torque Converter with stock stall and stock trans? Basically making in a stock '95 Vette in the power production and transmission?
Old 08-16-2017, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Man that is a clean car! Being all original I'd have to leave it as-is. The 301T is interesting in its own, and since it runs good and doesn't give too much trouble, I'd have to leave it. Get the trans rebuilt and cruise that thing. Plenty of other cars out there for cheap money to play with. I'd hate to see an old lt1 put in its place. Sweet old car man. What do the hard core Pontiac guys think? They're almost as bad as the Mopar guys. Lol. But have no idea what they think of the 301T.

​​​​​​​Chris
Old 08-18-2017, 11:15 PM
Staging Lane

Another vote for leaving it stock (fixing whatever is wrong with the 301T or the trans and leaving it as is, just drive it). Your car is gorgeous, and an unusual colour to boot. Its not a super fast car, so what? Its got tons of style, its comfortable and fun to drive, and I bet it turns many heads when you take it out. Stock is best.

Quick Reply: Resto-Retro-Mod an '81 turbo TA?