Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Wires under ash tray?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 10:47 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wires under ash tray?

All, I’ve been having problems with my DRL’s working once in a while and figured it’s one of two things, my module or maybe some connection with the emergency brake. I know there are other threads on this but when I took out the ash tray I notice three different wires. Two of them are connected to some contraption under the tray with a white and gray wire. The other is a blue wire which runs close to the e-brake handle. I have never see this thing under the ash tray and was curious what it was. Also, how do I get to the piece connected to the e-brake handle to possibly clean it up and see if it works? Like I said, I know there are other threads on DRL’s but mine randomly work and the turn signals DO work. Thank you for your help.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:12 AM
Teching In

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

The round dome looking part .with the two wires..is the light for the ash tray...The dome is a cover for the bulb...Should come on with the dash lights...One of the wires (probably the white) is a ground and the other one is the hot wire....Any of the other wires running toward the rear of the console..Would more than likely go to the parking brake mechanism (switch for the dash indicator light and DRL)..also to the switch for the console storage area light under the lid...Probably have to take the console loose to access the parking brake switch...Hope this helps

Last edited by two lane blacktop; 02-18-2018 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Thanks two lane. I, of course, wrote this a little prematurely. I never knew there was an ash tray light. I also didn’t know there was a metal reflector. Apparently fell off years ago and landed down underneath the console. I grabbed that also and cleaned it up and superglued it back onto the ash tray door. A mechanic friend of mine suggested buying a test light to check out the DRL issue. It would come on randomly, so I’m assuming there may be an issue somewhere either in the bulb sockets, the DRL module or the connection to the emergency brake.
Old 02-18-2018, 10:01 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The other wire you see is for the emergency brake sensing. It's just a single wire and you have to take the entire center console off to get to it properly. (If you have really tiny hands maybe you could take off the shifter boot cover, but you'll save a ton of grief if you just take out the center console.)

If you did have an emergency brake issue, your BRAKE light on the dash would also come on. (That would be the other tell-tale if you need to clean it up.)
Old 02-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Thanks WSSIX. I definitely don’t think it’s the brake issue then. Must be the module.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

There's a lot of things it could be. The module has a number of inputs, one of which is the emergency brake handle.

I would start at the module though, and trace from there. You can register on AutoZone.com and download the schematics for the car if you don't have them. (It will show you all the inputs for the module.)