Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Parasitic drain on 1995 formula

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parasitic drain on 1995 formula

Good afternoon everyone I'm new here, I bought a 1995 firebird formula that was cloned into a 2000 ws6......poorly. The current issue I'm having is a massive power drain from my battery. I performed the draw test and found 2.5 amps being drained from the battery with the key off and plenty of time for everything to go to sleep. All doors are shut no lights as far as I can tell are on and yet the draw is there. So here is what I've found, the draw is of course tied to the #8 courtesy fuse, once this fuse is removed the draw drops to almost 0. Now I downloaded the owner's manual and found a host of things associated with this fuse such as the Dome light, courtesy lights, the radio, the audio alarm module ( vats? ), Console lamp ( which my console was replaced with a later model console and I cannot find a light however I did find the lamp for the shifter and the bulb isn't there ) glove box lamp ( which the bulb is missing ), rear view mirror ( which I unplugged ), security indicator ( which if it's the security light on the dash it's not on but does come on and then go off once the key is turned ), hatch release relay which I'm not sure how to check but it does work, keyless entry receiver which I did unplug and the problem remained. I found a post I think here where a guy found that his issue was in the rap module had corrosion. I removed that from the circuit and looked it over and found no corrosion just dust, once it was removed I tested the draw and still maintained the 2.5. I've ripped the inside of this car apart trying to find a light of some kind on. The car also doesn't have a power antenna which I've seen posted in the past as a possible cause. I'm very very stumped and I'm hoping someone experienced something like this or has more knowledge than myself. This is my first 4th gen and I just want to enjoy it lol. Thanks for reading.