Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1995 trans am lt1 Problem Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2018, 06:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 trans am lt1 Problem Help

Hey I'm having a problem with my Lt1 I'm new to this i just bought my car a couple months ago. The previous owner got the engine rebuilt not to long ago only has 10,000kms on the engine. It drove nice and smooth in the summer until the winter. I would start it up like every 3-4 days but now it's been acting strange. It would start for atleast 5 mins and the engine would turn off like a switch sometimes it would bog out and turn off like it would sound like its slowly dieing out and then it turns off. At times when I start it the fans would kick in right away on cold start and an engine light would come on as well. I got my hands on a bodyshop scanner no codes came up at all. I was told there is no thermostat in the car can that be the problem? Because it's the winter right now. Plus my security lights been on to and it had minor overheating issues in the summer cause the fan fuse was blown out now it's fixed. I read other forums but no help at all just wondering if you guys can help me out its driving me nuts.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

For starters I would put a thermostat back in it.
if the security light is on eventually the car will not start but it won't cause it to start and then die.
maybe your optispark is going bad or possibly a bad fuel pump.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what part of the country do you drive the car.?
That being said Rust is not your friend sound like you might have a Ground and or Charging system issue If you have a meter i would sudjest you check your voltage at the battery before and while the car is running
......GnM