Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

power steering whine noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool power steering whine noise

Hi all Pontiacers!)
Read a lot of threads about this issue but did not see similar to mine.
I have 3.8cc 2001 formula, recently noticed whine noise from the driver side, assumably power steering pump. Level is ok, fluid is clear cos of recent engine swop, no visible leak. Whining on acceleration on each gear, most hearable on first and second.
Today I took it for short run, this car my weekend toy, whine noise GONE after I turn the steering left/right many times, jerk the car to the left and right, probably scare the people behind me, WHAT IS THAT, air in the circuit or pump not fully dead yet ???
thank you for any idea
Old 12-31-2018, 09:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

How many miles do you have?

The power steering pump has a pressure relief valve in it. Because the belt is always turning, the pump is constantly building pressure in the system; even when it's not needed to turn the car. The relief valve bleeds off the extra pressure that's built up. My guess is that it's getting gummed up, sticking a bit in a weird place, and causing the whine. Using pressure to steer could cause that relief valve to close/actuate to a different position for you.

You can rebuild this part of the pump, but it's a hell of a mess - just like replacing the pump. If I were in your situation, I'd just do a pump rebuild and replace the pressure line and head off for another 100K miles. (This all assumes you are currently high in miles on the existing pump.)