Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

So interesting development happened this fall...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default So interesting development happened this fall...

I had been rear ended in April of 2023. I took the car in to the shop in July for the repairs. They had some parts they managed to find, but the one thing that was giving them trouble was the rear bumper cover. Out of desperation they tried GM. Turns out that GM had *3* of them...HAD 3 of them. They sent two different covers, both of which were in poor shape. So GM destroyed those and sent the last one. It was in good shape and is on my car right now. I managed to somehow snag the last known factory bumper cover that had never been used for this car.

I was talking to the guy a couple weeks ago. He said a month after my car was finished, someone else came in with the exact same year T/A, only silver. It had also been rear ended, and pushed in pretty badly. They ended up paying $900 to have a used one freighted in from Arizona. Talk about lucking out!

The downside for me is you can see the obvious difference in the 23 year old paint on the rest of the car, and the brand new paint.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 848 Likes on 649 Posts

They didn't check facebook marketplace
Old 02-17-2024, 09:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

I went to a pull your own yard around here and got a rear bumper cover for $35 last year.
Old 02-25-2024, 10:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

We've got a shop and have some pretty good gm contacts. 2-3 years ago I bought the last gm rear window reveal molding in the country. It's on my car so kinda neat knowing the absolute last one in known captivity in inventory is mine all part numbers were marked 0 inventory and discontinued after I got it.
Old 03-02-2024, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool! I ended up with the last two 1996 B-pillar outer replacement skins (Since you own a Post-1998 4thgen, I’m going to assume you are well aware of the paint leeching/improper sealing of Late 1998 and newer 4th gen’s…) A friend let me know those were available from a dealer in Alaska, so I flew to my local Buick (Hey, it’s GM, isn’t it? lol) dealer parts department and ordered them. I had a wild hair, and the guy was a total pro with the parts computer, so I had him search for a BUNCH of thirdgen parts…. And to my complete shock, I ended up with the last ‘85-‘90 left-front marker/turn signal lamp in the entire USA! It’s still waiting to go on my car (it’s been 3years now) once I find a worthy right turn lamp.

Quick Reply: So interesting development happened this fall...