Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together
View Poll Results: Would you be interested?
Yes
72.22%
No
27.78%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Fixed TA Headlights Coming (thread from Feb 2005)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTA
I dont like fixed lights on a TA. It ruins the look of the car. Transams are transams. Not transams with wannabe camaro lights. Flip-up lights are a signature thing. It destroys the overall look.

Good luck to you with making your product. I am sure you can make something nice, but fixed lights will never look right IMO.
since its a signature thing that showed up after 11 years of them being a fixed headlight, and not having to deal with bad gears on the headlight motor, or worrying that they my be frozen down will you were in the move theater and sleet or freezing rain moved into the area, i think that having choices to ditch the pop ups and still keep the unspoiled areodynamics of the car with the lights down is a great idea. who wants a factory installed airbrake on the front of the car? i dont. the overall look is ruined when ,off the front of a aggresive, low, mean-looking car, these quad rectangles sprout up 6 inches into the air. i love the way my ws.6 looks during the day, but when the sun starts to set i run with my fog lights on as long as i think i can get away with it so i dont have to see my car sprout frog eyes. IMHO
Old 02-27-2005, 07:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just drive my Firehawk with night vision googles. This way I don't ruin the look of my car. The only problem is the deers and people don't see me coming. They just hear my horn.

Just kidding of course
Old 02-27-2005, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ta12sec
I would be a buyer if

Looked clean
brighter then stock
quality product
fair (doesnt need to be almost free just fair) price
ditto
Old 02-27-2005, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker

since its a signature thing that showed up after 11 years of them being a fixed headlight, and not having to deal with bad gears on the headlight motor, or worrying that they my be frozen down will you were in the move theater and sleet or freezing rain moved into the area, i think that having choices to ditch the pop ups and still keep the unspoiled areodynamics of the car with the lights down is a great idea. who wants a factory installed airbrake on the front of the car? i dont. the overall look is ruined when ,off the front of a aggresive, low, mean-looking car, these quad rectangles sprout up 6 inches into the air. i love the way my ws.6 looks during the day, but when the sun starts to set i run with my fog lights on as long as i think i can get away with it so i dont have to see my car sprout frog eyes. IMHO
That is why I started this project in the first place, the flip-ups are out of place on this car. Thanks for backing me up on this one.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6gluemaker

Not looking for a He was looking for opinons, I said mine. I am not going to argue back and forth, and ruin his thread.

BabyLuvsMyTa-Like I said before, good luck to you on your project.
Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Not looking for a He was looking for opinons, I said mine. I am not going to argue back and forth, and ruin his thread.

BabyLuvsMyTa-Like I said before, good luck to you on your project.
I asked for opinions, so thank you. And thanks for the luck.
Old 03-01-2005, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

**update** The parts are being cut, and should be done in the next couple of days. Can't wait to get some pics for you guys.
Old 03-01-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I would be interested too. as long as they were brighter than stock.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I already have the hella 90 mm projectors would I just be able to buy the mounting brackets and covers? Or do you use a different projector?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
On The Tree

I am not exactly sure on the projector brand. Yes I will sell the housing seperate.

The lights I have now are about the same as stock, But I forgot a huge part of the wiring. I though the part was a plug, to hook into the original car's wiring, but it is in fact a coil. So the lights should be brighter. I will play with it more and have some pics up by this weekend
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BabyLuvsMyTa
There is a guy in the apperance section that is talking about making that style, but he wants more than double the price.
Who would this be?
LT1-7 is making some, but are supposed to be cheaper than the Breathless units.

I am not exactly sure on the projector brand. Yes I will sell the housing seperate.

The lights I have now are about the same as stock, But I forgot a huge part of the wiring. I though the part was a plug, to hook into the original car's wiring, but it is in fact a coil. So the lights should be brighter. I will play with it more and have some pics up by this weekend
How are you going to fit these lights without having them stick up too high? Are they short enough to keep the covers from bulging up for clearance?

What do you mean by coil? Lights don't use coils. Can you explain a little more or describe it?

I am also planning to make my own fixed lights from scratch using BMW projectors and HID bulbs. I have several different pics on my thread of aftermarket units. Maybe those pics could help you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/279370-need-advice-ta-fixed-headlight-conversion.html

Jason
Old 03-02-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The problem with the Firehawk style lights is that, if you look closely, you will see that the hood has been elongated making the headlight housing shorter. Now if something can be designed to still give the low profile look like the firehawk, that would make the design much more appealing. I like the idea no matter what and had been pondering on this idea myself.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

The elongated hood on the Firehawk prototype is purely cosmetic. It isn't necessary. You can just made the clear cover extend all the way back to the stock hood line and then paint the areas you want to hide OR make some sheetmetal covers and paint them body color then attach them with adhesive to the headlight top area. Either of these two techniques allow you to make a custon shape around the lights as well.

Bottom line is that there is no reason to extend the hood.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Ditto, figure out a way to have an HID option, and I'll definitely be down. Breathless has the kit, and has the option, but it's a rediculous amount of money. Aside from the fact that the quality is garbage.

Keep us posted on the final product, I'm anxious to see what it looks like.

Rob

See sig in MODS LIST... Still pop up, but same design and HIDs!
Old 03-02-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by txhorns281
See sig in MODS LIST... Still pop up, but same design and HIDs!
That's what I have too. But it would be nice to never have to worry about headlight motors & gears and aerodynamics.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Who would this be?
LT1-7 is making some, but are supposed to be cheaper than the Breathless units.

How are you going to fit these lights without having them stick up too high? Are they short enough to keep the covers from bulging up for clearance?

What do you mean by coil? Lights don't use coils. Can you explain a little more or describe it?

I am also planning to make my own fixed lights from scratch using BMW projectors and HID bulbs. I have several different pics on my thread of aftermarket units. Maybe those pics could help you.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279370

Jason
Yes I am talking about lt1-7. His lights are $700-$900, Which is $100-$300 less than the breathless ones. When I said more than double I was talking about the higher end of his estimate.

As far as the coil, to me it looks like a relay, but it says coil on the top of it, and it has a wiring diagram. My freind has a 300zx, and he bought the same kit as me. He said that these lights cant pull enough juice off of the regular wiring. He said this is the reason for the coil. I will try and get you a pic sometime tonight.

I dont have any more lights bought yet, so I can go with something that is brighter if I cant get mine to light up any more.

I like your pics/ideas, but when I started this I didnt have very much money to throw at it. If I had the cash, I might go with a kit like what you are talking about. My headlight was stuck up, so I said f@#$ it and started. I just thought other people might be like me, and want to get rid of their frog eyes, and do it for $300-$500 less than lt-7's prototype or $600 less than the breathless, which people on here call junk.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes I am talking about lt1-7. His lights are $700-$900, Which is $100-$300 less than the breathless ones. When I said more than double I was talking about the higher end of his estimate.
OK, now it makes sense.

As far as the coil, to me it looks like a relay, but it says coil on the top of it, and it has a wiring diagram. My freind has a 300zx, and he bought the same kit as me. He said that these lights cant pull enough juice off of the regular wiring. He said this is the reason for the coil.
Do they look like the Bosch relay in this pic?
http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...h/foglites.htm
These relays actually do have a coil inside them, to move the contacts. When your friend said "these lights can't pull enough juice off of the regular wiring" he probably meant there was too much voltage loss due to the wiring having to go throughtout the car and throught the switch. By using a relay, you can prevent the voltage loss and thereby get more voltage to the lights. When done right it is a good thing and reduces the load on the factory switch. It doesn't usually make the lights a whole lot brighter, only a little, depending on the car. To get noticably brighter you usually have to go with a brighter bulb.

If you haven't settled on a certain projector yet, I wanted to tell you about the Hella 90mm units. Here is a link:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hella-90mm/
They run about $60 each and have a very nice light spread and cutoff pattern. The cutoff pattern can be changed to whatever you wanted. The housings are magnesium so they can take a lot of heat. They come with 65w H9 bulbs which is noticably brighter than the regular sealed beams. If you have the money, they could be modified later to accept an HID bulb, so they ARE upgradable.

I like your pics/ideas, but when I started this I didnt have very much money to throw at it. If I had the cash, I might go with a kit like what you are talking about. My headlight was stuck up, so I said f@#$ it and started. I just thought other people might be like me, and want to get rid of their frog eyes, and do it for $300-$500 less than lt-7's prototype or $600 less than the breathless, which people on here call junk.
I know what you mean. Mine first started stripping gears about 1 1/2 years ago so I've had a lot of time to think about and research a good replacement. I just recently had enough money saved up so I decided to go for it. Just recently you and LT1-7 popped up saying you were making some fixed housings, maybe I had some influence.
Lately I've been practicing bending lexan and getting my lights and HID stuff together, but now I may just hold off and see what you guys are doing, then steal your ideas. Just kidding!

Maybe.

If you can come up with a good housing I would probably buy it instead of making mine from scratch.
Do you plan on using MR10-lexan or some other scratch resistant coating to keep scratches off the lenses?
Are you going to make the housings fixed and adjust the lights indepedently or fix the lights and then adjust the whole housing?
Are the covers and housing going to be waterproof with maybe some vent hoses in back?
What do you think the housing by itself would cost, $200 or less?

If you need any help, just PM me.
Jason

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-03-2005 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Regular

Great to see you guys collaberating - Get'er Done!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Baby, what kind of time frame are you working on? Are you going to post up some photos of the general design anytime soon? I'm anxious to see what it might look like.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Any updates?

Quick Reply: Fixed TA Headlights Coming (thread from Feb 2005)