Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Seat Belt Holder

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005 | 03:26 PM
Teching In

Default Seat Belt Holder

On the drivers side of my parents 02 WS6 the loup on the head rest had been ripped off... so we ordered the 15.00 part and we got it and i have screwed it on and we cant figure out how your supposed to get the belt through the loop once it was broke. Any tips anyone?
Old 05-11-2005 | 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unbolt the seat belt from the floor of the car, then put it through the loop, bolt the belt back on the floor, then screw the loop on to the seat.

Tom
Old 05-11-2005 | 07:27 PM
'Bird Director

From: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Unbolt the seat belt from the floor of the car, then put it through the loop, bolt the belt back on the floor, then screw the loop on to the seat.

Tom
Yep, what he said. I just replaced my driver's side seat belt guide last weekend. Mine broke off at the base. You'll need a rather large torx head socket to undo the bolt that holds the seatbelt to the floor. Make sure to bring some muscle along as the bolt is very tight (or at least mine was). It's like a puzzle getting the bracket over the chrome seatbelt clasp, but it does slip around it. Make sure you've got the bracket going the right direction before you slip it over the clasp. I thought I did, and realized that I didn't after I'd bolted the seatbelt back to the floor.
Old 05-11-2005 | 08:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Yep, what he said. I just replaced my driver's side seat belt guide last weekend. Mine broke off at the base. You'll need a rather large torx head socket to undo the bolt that holds the seatbelt to the floor. Make sure to bring some muscle along as the bolt is very tight (or at least mine was). It's like a puzzle getting the bracket over the chrome seatbelt clasp, but it does slip around it. Make sure you've got the bracket going the right direction before you slip it over the clasp. I thought I did, and realized that I didn't after I'd bolted the seatbelt back to the floor.
Yeah, make sure you use a breaker bar if you have one, my 24" worked great. If you use a regular ratchet, make sure you press on the head of it while you turn it, if you don't you may end up rolling it to the side when you turn it which can cause the bit to spin in the head of the bolt, chewing up the teeth - and trust me you don't want that to happen, I know .

Tom
Old 05-12-2005 | 09:09 AM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Yeah, make sure you use a breaker bar if you have one, my 24" worked great. If you use a regular ratchet, make sure you press on the head of it while you turn it, if you don't you may end up rolling it to the side when you turn it which can cause the bit to spin in the head of the bolt, chewing up the teeth - and trust me you don't want that to happen, I know .

Tom
Agreed. I went with the ratchet method, and it took a few attempts to figure out how to push on the top of the ratchet, turn the ratchet, and not have it slip off and mash the plastic interior. I managed to get mine out with minimal teeth damage. But then again I bought Autozone sockets to do the job
Old 05-13-2005 | 06:57 AM
TECH Resident

You could always purchase the belt loop holder for the convertible, It has a slit in it that allows you to assemble it without unbolting the seat belt assembly from the car.
Old 05-13-2005 | 07:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just tapped the head with the star bolt into the bolt. It came out fine with a regular rachet. Just go slow and make sure for the first 3 turns the star bolt is in the bolt head as tight as possible. The seat belt metal part has to go at an angle to get around the plastic. It just goes out smoothly. No pressing or breaking. If its not coming off easy you are doing it wrong. Its very simple to do.
Old 07-10-2007 | 06:25 PM

Default 02 trans am seatbelt holder

Originally Posted by ls1z15
On the drivers side of my parents 02 WS6 the loup on the head rest had been ripped off... so we ordered the 15.00 part and we got it and i have screwed it on and we cant figure out how your supposed to get the belt through the loop once it was broke. Any tips anyone?
what is the part number I need one in black
Old 07-10-2007 | 09:31 PM
'Bird Director

Originally Posted by jwceach
what is the part number I need one in black
Look on the back side of the loop (the side that rests against the leather headrest). The seven-digit part number is probably stamped right on it.
Old 07-11-2007 | 06:05 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Weezzer
You could always purchase the belt loop holder for the convertible, It has a slit in it that allows you to assemble it without unbolting the seat belt assembly from the car.
That's the only way to do it, as far as I'm concerned. Every other car on this planet has slits in their seatbelt guides to allow for better backseat access...

Quick Reply: Seat Belt Holder