Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

LT1 Newb.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2005 | 02:52 AM
Launching!

Default LT1 Newb.

I'm picking up a 97 Trans Am tomorrow -- 68k miles, $7k -- didn't seem like too bad a deal to me.

It's got this nifty green/blue/purple paint that I've only seen elsewhere on a friends 98 V6, and a few Camaros. Is this a rare color or something for Firebirds?

Any clue where to look for 98-up honeycomb tail lights to replace these hideous ones on there now? 4th gens don't show up in junkyards around here, so I figured I'd ask. Since I'm coming from a thirdgen, I can find parts for those anyplace...don't know where to look for these.

What're the chances it's got 2.73s in it? It didn't feel particularly gutless or anything, but when the previous owner told me he could pull 29mpg on the highway, I either had to call bullshit or think 2.73 gears. God I hope it's not 2.73s.

Where do you guys find your RPO codes? I looked in the center console (figured they'd stick em in there like they did in my 91), and found nada, so yeah...ideas?

What kinda times should I expect out of it? (again, with any given thirdgen, I can make a reasonably accurate guess, but eh...this isn't one.)

Good catback recommendation? My RandomTech turned out to be way too quiet with my dual catted 91, so I don't see it being any different here, and I don't feel like going to Fromaster or Dynomax, but I'm not sure if I want retardedly loud either(loudmouth). (Sound clips anyone?)

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Later

-JT

p.s. Funny how the one seemingly active group of LT1 guys I've found so far is on an LS1-based board.

p.p.s Yes, I ran some searches, yes I read the three Big yellow links at the top.

Last edited by SlowBlueFormula; 05-20-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old 05-20-2005 | 04:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well first of all welcome to the board...Now to answer some of your questions...The RPO codes are on the driverside door. Chances are you have 2.73 gears unless its a ws6. The code for 2.73s is GU2 for 3.23s I beleive its gu4 and 3.42s the code is gu6 not too sure on the 3.23 but if it isnt gu2 then you have 3.23 gears.... Also I actually prefer the LT1 taillights over the honeycomb but if you do want some ebay will be the cheapest....The lt1 autos usually run high 13s low 14s...good sounding exhausts are the hooker catback..borla is kinda of expensive but flows real well but can be raspy with mods..corsa magnaflow and borla are pretty pricey. The best for your money would be a hooker catback and then you could get a cutout too...Hope this helps ya out
Old 05-20-2005 | 04:53 AM
Launching!

Shitty on the 2.73 thing. Please tell me it's at least a posi and not a one-wheeler.

Christ I didn't think I'd need gears already. I was happy w/ the 3.23s in my 91.
Old 05-20-2005 | 04:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

no its posi no matter what as long as you have a lt1/ls1
Old 05-20-2005 | 05:04 AM
Launching!

ok. now just to cross my fingers and hope it's not 2.73s
funny it would run 13 anything with the weak gears.

Oh well, guess that's just another thing for my "WTF Was GM Thinking" file
Old 05-20-2005 | 10:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SlowBlueFormula
ok. now just to cross my fingers and hope it's not 2.73s
funny it would run 13 anything with the weak gears.

Oh well, guess that's just another thing for my "WTF Was GM Thinking" file
As you said before, 2.73s were a big part of helping the A4 maintain gas mileage from the factory.. that's why GM did it.
Old 05-25-2005 | 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds like a good deal to me,
Old 05-26-2005 | 07:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 97M6Formula
...good sounding exhausts are the hooker catback..borla is kinda of expensive but flows real well but can be raspy with mods..corsa magnaflow and borla are pretty pricey. The best for your money would be a hooker catback and then you could get a cutout too...Hope this helps ya out
Just a small correction--Magnaflow is actually one of the best buys catback-wise. I got mine for $360 from Jeg's and the whole system including muffler is stainless steel 3" piping with 3.5" tips. Let me tell you, having stainless is awesome, I just crall under the car with some windex and BAM, looks like new again. Also, Magnaflow has considerably good flow too. (Maybe not the likes of Borla, but it's half the price). 97M6Formula, I totally agree that Borla and Corsa are $$$, and Hooker catbacks are around $300, so they're a great buy too.

Here's a link to Jeg's http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...02&prmenbr=361
Originally Posted by Vendetta
As you said before, 2.73s were a big part of helping the A4 maintain gas mileage from the factory.. that's why GM did it.
Yeah and even with those 2.73s M6's with 3.42s still beat them in gas mileage; yay for the T56!

Last edited by contraststriker; 05-26-2005 at 07:44 AM.

Quick Reply: LT1 Newb.