Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

what should a 5th-gen TA look like?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

now that you mention it, mustang side scoops are the other way arent they?

and those light problems are easy to fix, just use a metal cog, and a higher quality motor (even tho ive never hear dof the motors failing, jsut the window ones)
Old 10-24-2005, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cephiros
now that you mention it, mustang side scoops are the other way arent they?

and those light problems are easy to fix, just use a metal cog, and a higher quality motor (even tho ive never hear dof the motors failing, jsut the window ones)
It's ok to be a little mistaken on the Mustang scoops, who looks at them for more than a second anyway.
I've gone through the free fix, then the brass gear stripped it, then the free fix on it, now it's completley stripped. The tabs are tight as well. I don't know what the problem is. What are these Higher quality motors? I haven't heard of them.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

well, the motor woudl be GM using better quality parts, they dotn accually exist, and i recall reading somewhere they make a steel cog to replace that plastic one somewhere, that shouldnt get stripped, eith that or tis not shitty quality motors, there just too strong.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:09 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

There must be something going on with your assembly BloodTA.

My old '84 T/A had somewhere around 160,000 miles on it and my old '88 GTA had about 120,000 on it and they were both daily drivers and I never had a problem with the lights on either of them (I know they were 3rd Gens, but still, people complain about all flip ups breaking and being trouble, and I'm on my 3rd now and have never had a problem at all).

My '02 only has 5,780 miles on it and is not a daily driver (obviously lol), and I tend to not drive it at night either, so I can't really reference it.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLOODTA
Shoot, they should base it on the C6 chassis, make it a cross platform with the C6, different body style of course. I'm not a fan of retro for the Firebird either, but it works for the Camaro. My Bird concept has C6 side scoops, not mustang side scoops. The lights are from an 04 Viper, although I perfer pop-ups, they just break all the time. The front holes are from an F430, hey, that car rocks, why not copy it? . Trans Ams should have spoilers, gives it a more Bird-like look. It'd be sweet to have flared fenders like the 06 Z06 too. Anywho, that's my 2 cents.
Like the Vette, it would probably be best to go evolutionary. Most I think like the overall Fourth Gen shape, just update it, make it more muscular like the C6. I don't think the popularity of the big, blockish look of the 300C/Charger/Magnum will be with us long where performance cars are concerned. That's not the image of the TA.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:47 AM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=chaman]Maybe a WS6 option could be available in some form in newer Pontiac models (Vibe, Solstice or whatever) heck maybe a Ram Air option but the model, the car, the almighty Firebird should be made into reality not as an option ,as a CAR!! QUOTE]

If GM ever slaps a package called WS6 on anything besides a Firebird I will personally walk up to Lutz and punch him in the face. He's already ruined the SS's name by slapping it on everything besides a camaro.

Personally I prefer my T/A WS6 over an SS just because of the looks. In my opinion the SS looks more sleek and clean, but the WS6 looks like it's going to walk over and kick your ***. I love both cars, but prefer my T/A.

and the so called "firebird people" sucking statement
Everyone has they're own views wanting to bring the car back or not. No need to **** and moan about how you think others should worship their cars and stay true to the heritage. I know I have a shrine to my car, but i'm obsessed. I don't see it as camaro guys and firebird guys. I see it as f-body guys. We drive the same car, and we should stick together. No need to have an internal arguement when we need to be out there protecting our city streets against the ricer threat lol.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Cephiros
well, the motor woudl be GM using better quality parts, they dotn accually exist, and i recall reading somewhere they make a steel cog to replace that plastic one somewhere, that shouldnt get stripped, eith that or tis not shitty quality motors, there just too strong.
I have the website to the guy who sells those. I will be ordering them soon.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:52 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by HPP
There must be something going on with your assembly BloodTA.

My old '84 T/A had somewhere around 160,000 miles on it and my old '88 GTA had about 120,000 on it and they were both daily drivers and I never had a problem with the lights on either of them (I know they were 3rd Gens, but still, people complain about all flip ups breaking and being trouble, and I'm on my 3rd now and have never had a problem at all).

My '02 only has 5,780 miles on it and is not a daily driver (obviously lol), and I tend to not drive it at night either, so I can't really reference it.
I daily drive my 2000 WS6 and having 102,000 miles on the clock since I bought it new in 2000 shows it. I have had the passenger headlight motor go, and the driver's side is going now. I will be fixing that as soon as I get the car back. It's in the shop for motor work(500+ passes at the track and over 300 street races will do that)
Old 11-18-2005, 09:41 PM
Staging Lane

Default Trans am

id like to see this baby on the streets
Old 11-18-2005, 09:59 PM
Teching In

Yeah I would definatly love to see the return of the shaker hood..... and not just some faux thing.... but the again without a carb they're kinda worthless but still.... just seeing it torque to the side of the whole screems power...... and maybe.. just maybe... t-tops that don't leak! Oh yeah... also, I think the thirdgen light motors are fairly reliable... because My 91 has 129k and my dad's 91 with 127k both are as smooth and as quiet as can be.. but it could just be coincidence and babying them.

Last edited by RitzBlitz; 11-22-2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Im with Cephiros 100%. And if they ever try to make a new Trans Am they better go forward with the design rather than backwards as the 1998 thru 2002 is there best look so far.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

If they do bring back the TA, I think they should use the same general styling cues from the 4th gens, but slightly sharper and a little more pointy. Sort of looking at the difference between the styling of the first Dodge Viper, and the latest model.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:35 PM
On The Tree

If the Firebird came back, I'd like to see a design that is evolved from the 4th gen, but has design elements from the classic Firebirds. For instance, Formulas should have ram air hoods, and Trans Ams should have shaker hoods. It would be nice to have different V8 engines as well, maybe a base 350 with 350 HP and a 400 with 425 HP. Ideally, it would be the coolest to see a 455, but there's no way in hell GM would ever do it.
Old 12-01-2005, 03:51 AM
Launching!

They should just slap a LS7 in a Solstice change up the body a little put the Firebird emblem on the front and call it a day...

JK, but I think retro is definately not the way to go with the Firebird. I always thought of the Firebird as the more futuristic and sophisticated lookin car of the F-bods.

Looking at the SS I get a sense in "your face" brute strength in it's styling, but in the Trans Am (especially the WS6) you get the same sense of power and strength in a more subtle sense.

Seeing a WS6 go on the highway (even one ambling along in the slow lane) to me is like watching a great white shark pass by real slow (you know with his mouth open), he's not really making any noise but you still don't want to **** with one.
Old 12-01-2005, 05:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 93transam
They should just slap a LS7 in a Solstice change up the body a little put the Firebird emblem on the front and call it a day...

JK, but I think retro is definately not the way to go with the Firebird. I always thought of the Firebird as the more futuristic and sophisticated lookin car of the F-bods.

Seeing a WS6 go on the highway (even one ambling along in the slow lane) to me is like watching a great white shark pass by real slow (you know with his mouth open), he's not really making any noise but you still don't want to **** with one.
This is so true!

Quick Reply: what should a 5th-gen TA look like?