Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS! - Page 27 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Old 10-15-2016, 11:43 PM   #521
TECH Resident

I can't comment on whether its the plastic or not to blame. I can state for certainty that removing the two rear staples releases the door panel from compression/tension forces and relaxes to the point that you can just position the cracked portion with one hand to where the crack is barely visible. I imagine that some careful light application of vinyl/plastic paint in the correct shade would help conceal the crack after the repair has been performed.

I recommend removing all the staples. I am not sure what I will use yet but I am considering using some small zip ties to hold the inner window sweep on and epoxy a patch on the back of the crack.

See photos for two staples removed before and after

Staples removed AND crack NOT aligned

Staples removed/crack aligned. Some light application of plastic/vinyl paint should make this mostly invisible.
30thanniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 12:37 PM   #522
TECH Enthusiast

My 99 had both split all the way trough I did the NJSteve repair using 97 and older panels and looks good my 2000 has the cracks starting this and I will repair as above
zip tie, epoxy and reinforce and restaple

Wish GM would pay better attention to details like this! alot of peoples pride and joy at stake. This is why people by jap cars! quality fit and finish that we cant seem to care about producing
zman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 PM   #523
TECH Resident

I failed at the repair. None of the plastic epoxies suggested worked and I am realizing that even if it did the hairline crack would still be visible. For some people this may be a non-issue.

I may try something stronger and then try my hand at blending in the hairline crack with one of those old style venial repair patch patterns.
30thanniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #524
TECH Enthusiast

Damn, right when I get ready to attempt this fix the pics went down in post 504. They were up like last week, lol. Anyway I can get them or does anyone have them or similar?
Silver 2000 Ram Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #525
Staging Lane

Well, I have two Firebirds. My '98 Bird does not show crack. But, since there have been a major issue I decided to take the staples out of the window sweep and epoxy the sweep to the door panel a few months back.

On my '00 - It was cracked from day one and after looking for a year I decided to see if I could fix it. I pulled the door panel carefully and took out the suspicious staple and one to the rt and lf of the crack. Epoxied the window sweep to the door panel and filled the staple hole. After that I applied a generous amount of epoxy to the area of the crack and one inch either side of the crack to stop it getting worse.

In reality, that worked really well.

However, finding a reasonably priced repair panel with cloth damage I later swapped out my leather insert into that panel and replaced it altogether. I reinforced both driver and passenger panels like I did on my '98 and so far so good.

Good luck out there... This one is a bugger.... ;-)
Mecinoid is offline   Reply With Quote