Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JDP
we need to try to do something because i just got my car a week ago and it was perfect and then this happens and then my dumbass broke off the seat belt guide on the headrest (but thats only 20 bucks). but this is the first nice car ive ever bought and i dont want it to get all tore up because im actualy proud of this (unlike my mustang) and i dont want it to go hell.
same here.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:05 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you guys and gals are considering legal action, I think it would be a good idea to organize that outside the realm of LS1tech. I'm no legal scholar, but I could foresee the potential for this site to be drug into something that it didn't initiate. I don't think any of us want to see anything happen to our favorite message board.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mines cracked too. Both sides.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fixed mine sort of. Theres no crack anymore but I'm trying to come up with a good Vlnyl overlay that will cover that whole thing up
Melt the plastic back together and add more plastic

Since the front was affected from melting, I had to fill it smooth

I was thinking of something like this sketch in made. The greyish color would closely match panel.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Only my passenger side has cracked so far, i think that is because my driver's window is loose. It makes a clanking noise when i shut the door.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 785T/A
Mine is cracked, same thing happened

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...ers/car005.jpg
>>>NO NEED TO QUOTE PICS!!!<<<
Wow, my drivers side looks exactly like that. Same color and size of crack and in nearly the same damn spot. I just thought I hit the door panel with my seat belt buckle once when I was unbuckling. I haven't noticed it on the passenger side, but I haven't looked yet. The crack is in the back 1/3 of the panel. Now I have to look on the passenger side.

Keep us updated on any easy fix or resolution with GM about it.

BTW, Does it do this on Camaros as well?

Last edited by CRAGER; 05-12-2007 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:14 PM
Teching In

I have a '98 T/A and although the cracks have not yet appeared on my doors I can run my fingers along the top of the panel and feel the weak spots where I can expect them to fail.

I read in another site that the manufacturer claims this is caused by closing the door by the window rather than the metal frame. It seems plausible but I don't know how reliable the source was.

Regardless I will refrin from rolling the windows all the way down AND will only close the door using the metal in hopes I can prolong the life of the door panel.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kemp
I read in another site that the manufacturer claims this is caused by closing the door by the window rather than the metal frame. It seems plausible but I don't know how reliable the source was.
BS!! I have never closed my car door by the window, for one it's not good for the glass because that isn't strong enough and I don't like finger prints on my ****. (sounds like a typical GM warranty excuse to NOT fix)

I close mine by the door handle or by pushing it closed by the rubber moulding with a finger so I don't get prints on my car.

Lastly windows were meant to roll down...........so that's BS to not be able to put them all the way down when the T tops are off.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 PM
On The Tree

I attempted to repair the door using the method found on the CETA website, but found that the split was starting to reappear. I decided to try it again. This time, I pulled the panel again and chipped off the old epoxy. I again followed the method found on the CETA website, but this time reinforced the area by using a patch cut from a plastic milk carton. I applied the epoxy to the back of the back of the patch and secured it over the crack. After the epoxy set, I went over the patch with additional epoxy and smoothed it out. I'll keep people updated on whether this prevents that crack from reappearing.
Old 02-14-2006, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

Would anyone want to create a web page of sorts to create a database for this problem? Complete with areas for photos of the cracks and measurements of where they appear. I think we can get something done about this. I will be more than happy to take care of the administrative aspect of it, but I do not have the time to create the web database, nor all the expertise. Lets get this on a roll and get our damn door panels replaced. If you want to do so please e-mail me at brianb@cinci.rr.com
Old 02-15-2006, 01:01 AM
On The Tree

mine has started to crack as well, right about 37k. The passanger side is longer then the driver side, but I am afraid it will just get worse. does anyone know of a proper fix of this problem? I don't wanna invole the legal system if I don't have to.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Teching In

Driver's side cracked first. Dealer replaced under warranty. After factory warranty expired, the passenger side cracked. I have an exteded warrany from Warranty Gold, but I don't think they will cover it. I need to find out.

I have had subframe connectors since new even though these cars really don't need them. I have NEVER closed the door but pushing on the window.

This is one of the many design issues that GM will either deny or claim it is "normal".
Old 02-16-2006, 09:32 PM
7 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, just found this topic and I'm another one with this problem. My driver's door has a crack about 1-1/2" inches long, but the passenger side is fine (so far). I was thinking about trying to find another one for a spare since I'm planning on keeping mine, but not at $400 expense or if it will only happen again!

Derek
Old 02-16-2006, 11:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 89KARR
Wow, my drivers side looks exactly like that. Same color and size of crack and in nearly the same damn spot. I just thought I hit the door panel with my seat belt buckle once when I was unbuckling. I haven't noticed it on the passenger side, but I haven't looked yet. The crack is in the back 1/3 of the panel. Now I have to look on the passenger side.
DAMN IT! I checked today. It's on the passenger side too. Both sides cracked. It's so depressing. Now it's like waving at me every time I look out the passenger window.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:03 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If I ever judge another Firebird show, I'm deducting points for NOT having the door panel cracks If they're not there, then that would put the car in a "modified" class right? (since they seem to be factory equipment)

Sorry, I'm just trying to make light of our bad situation. I'm in the same boat as the rest of you....I've got the door cracks too
Old 02-17-2006, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Just called my Warranty Gold. They will not cover it.
Old 02-17-2006, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well now that my car is paid off...........I guess it's one of those spend $$ on when I get to it when I decide to start replacing **** after all the performance stuff is done. I just look at the cost of that and say well...........what can you do atleast GM didn't give me a POS motor or tranny.

I am sure we will see Companies like Classic Industries produce them for our cars eventually...............but keep in mind that GM said they'd keep parts around and for 10 yrs after the death of our cars.

So original OEM's may not be available and I don't know about you all with parts like this...........but if it's plastic it's plastic to me and if it looks good and fits who cares.

Just food for thought.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:48 PM
On The Tree

ok guys...just noticed it today...anyone ever noticed a crack on the interior door panel of a t/a that's located on the side portion of the interior door panel...mine's not cracked on the top of the door panel but yet off to the left of the most common place and cracked about halfway down the door panel in a horizontal fashion...the crack is about halfway above the armrest and the top of the door panel...someone lemme know if any of you have experienced this on your cars...thanks guys
Old 03-03-2006, 03:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes......I just noticed mine are cracked...both of them!! and the driver has the verticle one on the top AND the horizontal on lower like described above!! wth?

I never heard of this before until I saw mine and looked on here.....I had no idea it was an "epidemic"!

Bought car brand new in jan '02 now has 77k miles....hard miles, lowered, N20...lots of street racing, drag racing...and just enjoying the car with spirited driving all the time...and why did it just now show up....it's wierd!

I saw someone post earlier about a "cold snap" where he lived, here in Colorado we just had a cold snap, got down around -10...wonder if thats when it happened, made the plastic more brittle, because they showed up on both at the same time! this sucks...I love my car and I have hand washed it at least 400 times, I always keep it clean, and detailed! I can't hide this ****!
Old 03-04-2006, 12:41 AM
Staging Lane

i have the same crack in about the same place on my passenger door. i always thought it was from my damn friends slamming the **** out of it... i didnt know everyone else has the same problem. ha blowage

Quick Reply: Cracked interior door panel...:( *DON'T QUOTE PICS!