Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Misaligned Driver Headlight

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 03:05 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Misaligned Driver Headlight

Is it possible to adjust the driver side headlight left to right? After installing my new drl bulbs I noticed that the headlight bezel has been rubbing on the side of the bumper. I’ll put up a picture when I can
(also thought I should mention that gap on the passenger headlight is fine)

Last edited by sutliff01; 01-08-2022 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-07-2022, 09:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Mine was even more misaligned to the point it was striking the bumper. I had to trim the bezel.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:09 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
Mine was even more misaligned to the point it was striking the bumper. I had to trim the bezel.
Mine is at the point to where it is rubbing the bumper pretty good, it has rubbed the paint off and I can see the bumper moving up and down when I turn them on and off. I was thinking that was probably what I might have to do. I’ve got an 01 parts car which just so happens to be the same color so maybe I’ll try swapping the whole headlight assembly before I go cutting on the bezel
Old 01-08-2022, 11:50 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Yes, these come out of alignment all the time. Often, people turn the wrong screw when trying to take the bazel off. There are two torx screws; one on the top (I think) and one on the side that perform the adjustments.

You'll want to find the proper GM alignment proceedure so you see properly and don't blind other drivers. A shop with a headlight alignment machine (places that do wheel alignments usually have these.) can do this quickly or you can do the proceedure parked 25' off of a blank wall. There is a proper vertical alignment and horizontal alignments. (BTW - The headlights are NOT supposed to point straight ahead. The driver's side points inward slightly so oncoming drivers are not blinded.)

Old 01-08-2022, 02:22 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

WSSIX99, my understanding is that SUTLIFF01 is talking about the black plastic bezel and not the sealed beam headlight. That is why I talked about trimming.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:44 PM
Teching In

WSSIX99, my understanding is that SUTLIFF01 is talking about the black plastic bezel and not the sealed beam headlight. That is why I talked about trimming.
Yep that’s right. My headlights while shitty and dim are aimed properly.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:55 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by sutliff01
Yep that’s right. My headlights while shitty and dim are aimed properly.
You can fix that the easy way with LMC Truck housings (Low Beam & High Beam) and upgraded Halogen Bulbs or LED Bulbs. There are threads on that.

Or you can install HID Projectors like I did. I have LMC Truck High Beam Housings with LED and Bi-Xenon Sinolyn HID Projectors.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rojectors.html

Last edited by VIP1; 01-08-2022 at 11:04 PM.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:21 AM
Teching In

You can fix that the easy way with LMC Truck housings (Low Beam & High Beam) and upgraded Halogen Bulbs or LED Bulbs. There are threads on that.

Or you can install HID Projectors like I did. I have LMC Truck High Beam Housings with LED and Bi-Xenon Sinolyn HID Projectors.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...rojectors.html
I have LML lights ordered just gotta wait 4-6 weeks and then my shitty dim lights will be nice and bright. Then my only problem will be my dang headlight rubbing the paint off of my bumper
Old 01-10-2022, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Thanks for the clarification.

My bumper rubs against the headlight door in the middle. I spoke to my body shop about it and they said that the issues are all about the bumper. They tell me that every F-Body front bumper is wonky and no matter how much they fiddle and fudge with the bumpers, they can never get them to sit perfectly around the headlights and still match up to the fenders.

Trimming or sanding down the bezel sounds like a splendid solution.

Quick Reply: Misaligned Driver Headlight