Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Brass headlight gear issues :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who replaced there headlight gears with brass

Hey guys,

I just got done replacing my gears in my headlight motors. They are curing as we speak I had to tap down the metal tabs on BOTH motors...grrrr
My only concern is each motor has a different amount of play in the gear. I cracked the one open that seemed tight just to make sure I didn't epoxy the gear , and I didn't. Does anyone think this will cause a problem? It still moves a little front to back. Any thoughts?'

Thanks

Bob s.
Old 04-01-2006, 03:06 PM
TECH Regular

Funny that you have a Maple Red Metallic TA just like one of my good buddies that installed the brass gears. His is a 2000 6 speed. He needed them and so did another buddy with a '98 NBM TA and I went ahead and got a set but have never had to install them yet. Anyway, he did have a little trouble later because of play and it did damage the brass gear. We got another gear and he figured out a way to take care of the play with a little insert he made and he did the same to both his light motors and the motors on the '98 as well and they have been fine since - about a year or so now. I know he figured out a way to use some small bolts to hold the cover really tight as well since one of the covers eventually popped off of the '98. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2006, 04:10 AM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I smashed the tabs back into the plastic of the housing so there was NO play, and it has held up great for almost 9 months now.
Old 04-02-2006, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had them on my maroon 94 Trans Am, they fit in snug and didn't have nay play and they worked perfect and still do according to the new owner of it.
Old 04-02-2006, 03:34 PM
TECH Resident

Default Brass headlight gear issues :(

Hey guys. I am in the middle of replacing my headlight gears with the brass ones fron Brent. I hooked them both the moters up. The passenger side spins fine. I have that just free spinning and not attached to the arm. Runs fine and smooth. The drivers side I have attached to the arm and bolted in, and I am having issues. The headlights turn on. I can manually raise and lower the headlight. BUT I it will not lower/raise under its own power. All I get is the headlights turn on and when you turn the lights off I get a faint click.

Since it can be raised and lowered manually I assume that the gears placement is fine and there is no excess epoxy on the gear gluing it up. Unfortunately that leaves me to believe the motor is bad. Before the gear install that motor did work.

Any idea what might have happned?

Thanks in advance.

Bob S.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have any suggestions, ideas?

Bob s.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

check to see if you have power going to the motor, mine had a little corrosion inside the headlight harness
Old 04-02-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Resident

Do youi know which wires they are? And I guess what? Just take ohm meter? or continuity light? and probe the back? I don't pretend to know anything about electricity so any help would be awesome.

Bob S.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whatever you find out please let me know. mine are both stuck in the up position. they will raise by themselves, but i have to lower them manualy. before i spend the money on 2 new motors please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Take the gear out and then see if the motor will spin.
Also take a look at this from bfrankers site:
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/tabs2.JPG
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/tabs1.JPG
http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headlightfix/tabs3.JPG

Make sure these tabs are pushed down! And make sure there is as little wobble as possible between the motor and the plastic housing.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:51 PM
TECH Resident

ok now I found it it is somewhere in the connector. I wiggle it and it came on or went off. What did you use to clean the connectors? I see a little corrosion but my headlights come on and those terminals look the same. Also if one of the wires to the motor are loose? How do I go about tightening them? I didn't want to totally tear apart the connector.

Thanks for any help.

Bob s.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

The two pieces are securely together with no wobble

Bob s.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

i heard the weight of the brass gear will ruin your motor for good?? anyone else?
Old 04-02-2006, 10:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by brynnda
i heard the weight of the brass gear will ruin your motor for good?? anyone else?
I put a brass gear in my driver's side 3 years ago and zero problems here.
Old 04-03-2006, 05:50 AM
TECH Resident

Ttt
Old 04-03-2006, 07:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BIRD
Hey guys. I am in the middle of replacing my headlight gears with the brass ones fron Brent. I hooked them both the moters up. The passenger side spins fine. I have that just free spinning and not attached to the arm. Runs fine and smooth. The drivers side I have attached to the arm and bolted in, and I am having issues. The headlights turn on. I can manually raise and lower the headlight. BUT I it will not lower/raise under its own power. All I get is the headlights turn on and when you turn the lights off I get a faint click.

Since it can be raised and lowered manually I assume that the gears placement is fine and there is no excess epoxy on the gear gluing it up. Unfortunately that leaves me to believe the motor is bad. Before the gear install that motor did work.

Any idea what might have happned?

Thanks in advance.

Bob S.
A problem that happens with these headlights (not related to the brass gears) is that over time as the parts get older sometimes the excess play in them causes the light to jam in either the up or down position. The motors are very strong but not always strong enough to "unjam" the lights. This is not a very common problem but does happen. Take a look here at #5

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...htgearfailures

Also read there about #4 having to do with a bad connector.

One way to tell if it is getting jammed or not is to put the light in a mid position using the raise/lower **** and then electrically turn on the lights. If the light goes the rest of the way up you likely have a jamming issue (also, make sure you put everything back together correctly... the trim piece being out of place a little can cause the light to get jammed in position) but if it doesn't move you have either a connector problem, control problem, or the motor is bad. It is highly unlikely that the motor is bad... I've only heard of a couple cases where the motor itself went bad.

Give those a shot!
Old 04-03-2006, 07:59 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1 BAD BIRD
Do youi know which wires they are? And I guess what? Just take ohm meter? or continuity light? and probe the back? I don't pretend to know anything about electricity so any help would be awesome.

Bob S.
First try raising the light to the middle position then turning the lights on... don't have to get a meter for that
Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
whatever you find out please let me know. mine are both stuck in the up position. they will raise by themselves, but i have to lower them manualy. before i spend the money on 2 new motors please let me know if anyone has any ideas.
Two new motors will likely not help ya here, Charlie! Read here #5 here...

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/headl...htgearfailures

give that a shot first. Cheap and easy
Old 04-03-2006, 08:03 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by brynnda
Not true The brass gears are considerably heavier but this is a rotational mass and these headlight motors are considerably oversized for this application. I have not heard of any problems with the light not coming up because the gear was too "heavy". Not sure where you heard that but I've never seen it and I deal with these and field questions on them nearly daily
Old 04-03-2006, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

i heard it last year, i have probs with my motors now, i cant arm my car w/o them flopping up and down a couple times and making that god aweful niose (already been rotated) only reason i havent bought the brass gears, and i swore i heard it off this site.

brent - i know you

Quick Reply: Brass headlight gear issues :(