Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Help with T56 in a 2nd gen..........

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with T56 in a 2nd gen..........

Hi all.......

I am ready to take this project to the next phase. I want to mate a T56 to my pontiac 400 and wanted to get some advice from someone that has already done it, i.e. kits that are already ready, etc.....

Also, which different T56 trannies can you use, i.e. from vettes, f-bodies, vipers, etc, etc..... I would like to use to Z06 tranny b/cuz of the gearing but don't know if that is possible...

One more thing... where can I buy fiberglass body panels for the car such as hood, fenders, nose...

thanks to any that can help...
danny
Old 04-24-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chirodan
Hi all.......

I am ready to take this project to the next phase. I want to mate a T56 to my pontiac 400 and wanted to get some advice from someone that has already done it, i.e. kits that are already ready, etc.....

Also, which different T56 trannies can you use, i.e. from vettes, f-bodies, vipers, etc, etc..... I would like to use to Z06 tranny b/cuz of the gearing but don't know if that is possible...

One more thing... where can I buy fiberglass body panels for the car such as hood, fenders, nose...

thanks to any that can help...
danny
first off the T56 will not bolt up to the BOP style bellhousing. a couple of people make a bellhouseing adapter for the BOP style on your Pontiac 400. Keisler Transmissions makes a whole set up, but its kinda pricey, D and D transmissions makes a tranny that will bolt right up to the 4speed bellhousing. Its cheaper but not as complete as the Keisler kit.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:32 AM
Staging Lane

I realize that the T56 will not bolt up this way, that is why I am looking to find someone that has already done this so I can get some advice on all of the parts I will need to buy or what modifications I will have to make to the car.

still looking...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

To convert it you will need the bellhousing adapter, a custom cross member, a speedometer conversion from the electrical sensor on the T56 to the cable driven speedometer. You need a shorter drive shaft, you need to either use a hydralic clutch setup or get a custom linkage for the clutch. Modify your console or just cut a different hole in the floor.
I am planning on doing this conversion for my 68 Firebird. So I have been comteplating this for a while.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey your in El Paso? I was born there.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info... You haven't found any company that sells this in a kit like ..... is it Keisler??? that does it for the TKO tannies?

I have been in EP for a little over a yr now. Where do you live?
Old 05-06-2006, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea Keisler sells the most complete kit but if you want a barebones kit and do the rest your self go with D&D transmissions in Oklahoma.

Yea I was born there in EP but moved to Odessa, now I go to college down in Kingsville, wanted to go back to UTEP, but its too far from my families house way on the east side.

Quick Reply: Help with T56 in a 2nd gen..........