Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Who want an $85,000 Fire Hawk?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could possibly see 80k if it was completly mint with like 12 miles on it or something with the dealer plastics still on the floor mats. but a 37k mile car with the typical daily driver wear? dont think it will sell for anything near that even with its rarity.
Old 06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my understanding the owner only recently found out how rare it was and didnt know that 98 Hawks' were not offically production cars. Hence the DD wear, although that doesnt warrent a car with 37k on it being in that kind of condition interior wise, mines better and I have 100k more!
Old 06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Regular

**** that. YOu could pick up a WS6 T/A, Firehawk and a SS for the same coin. BDF on the "collector status" that **** is overrated.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JCS30TH
**** that. YOu could pick up a WS6 T/A, Firehawk and a SS for the same coin. BDF on the "collector status" that **** is overrated.
coming from somebody who owns a 30th t/a, lol
Old 06-13-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

I was under the impression that the first design Firehawk on the LS1 cars had Camaro style headlights and Pontiac wouldnt have it so they ditched the Firehawk until the next year. A buddy of mine had #175 of the 1999 model year and was wanting to get one the year before but was told this by the dealer. He also has video of a prototype at a drag strip that showed it having those style of headlights I think. Ill have to ask him tomorrow if he still has this. I dont know myself, just passing on info that I felt was relevant.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bo White
I was under the impression that the first design Firehawk on the LS1 cars had Camaro style headlights and Pontiac wouldnt have it so they ditched the Firehawk until the next year. A buddy of mine had #175 of the 1999 model year and was wanting to get one the year before but was told this by the dealer. He also has video of a prototype at a drag strip that showed it having those style of headlights I think. Ill have to ask him tomorrow if he still has this. I dont know myself, just passing on info that I felt was relevant.
Here's a pic of the proposed LS1 Firehawk, but the lights shattered too easily on low speed crash tests or something so they had to scrap the idea. Then they got the normal headlights and the shorter hood, but couldn't recertify in time to make the '98 model year.

Those 6 cars were still built for magazines and shows however lacking the WU6 GM rpo code they aren't true numbered Firehawks even though they're build identically to the later years.

Old 06-14-2006, 02:18 AM
Banned

maybe i should take my 98 t/a and duplicate a firehawk, then ill sell it for 40k as a "98 firehawk"... and it'll be just like the REAL 98 hawks! no wu6 code! lol jk
Old 06-14-2006, 08:20 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by NBMgreg
maybe i should take my 98 t/a and duplicate a firehawk, then ill sell it for 40k as a "98 firehawk"... and it'll be just like the REAL 98 hawks! no wu6 code! lol jk
That's a good point... how do we know for certain that this is a true SLP Firehawk from 98? If there's no documention of what the original VINs were for the 6 converted cars, any one with a 98 can buy the hood, front end, wheels etc and make a clone since there is nothing to confirm that this car is a true Firehawk.

That's a tough pill to swallow when paying upwards of $60,000 for a 98 Firehawk with over 37K miles on it. I love the car, but I would be scared to spend that kind of money knowing that down the road you could be burned if it turns out to be a fake.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:06 PM
Banned

thats what ran through my head at first, theres no pics of the certificate recieved from SLP, or even of the date it was produced... i'd have to see the car personally, see the certificate personally and have a talk with SLP and confirm that they issued that certificate and that it is in fact real.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:25 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
Here's a pic of the proposed LS1 Firehawk, but the lights shattered too easily on low speed crash tests or something so they had to scrap the idea. Then they got the normal headlights and the shorter hood, but couldn't recertify in time to make the '98 model year.
This is why Hamburger & SLP are a bunch of assclowns..Proof, Right here..A quote from the HAMBURGLER himself on the $10,000 fixed light conversion he had on e-bay...SO he spent 3 million in development & you say here that they shattered to easily? 3 mil well spent

"First off, the '98 Headlamp project cost about 3 million dollars. Second, I have so much in the way of SS and Firehawk Memorabilia that I need to make space. I listed the Lamps as means to drive people to my store, I honestly doubt the lamps will sell at that price, but if they do, it's a bonus!"

-Dave Hamburger
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It is a documented car. There are indeed records of the VIN numbers used for the 6 1998 cars. Fact told by DaveH over on the Firehawk forum. Lets take that comment & lay it to rest.

Now, it didn't even get a single bid the first time around on eBay, what the heck would make ya think to list it again at the same price after so many comments about the outrageous price?!?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 06-14-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

I've called SLP myself many times with other people's vin #'s in an effort to help people on this site who've asked.

They have records on the 6 cars as well. If I was remotely in the market I would have known within 10 minutes if it was a clone or not.

By the way, Ed hamburger started SLP, not his son Dave who went dumpster diving after the plant closed it's doors. And I bet the $3 million spent on "the headlights" was actually the budget given the the whole Firehawk project.

If I did buy that '98 Firehawk I'd make a deal with Dave hamburger and snag those headlights. (based on talking about what car I had, and him wanting to make a deal for Firehawk history's sake.)

~Joshua
Old 06-15-2006, 12:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FIREHAWK#608
I've called SLP myself many times with other people's vin #'s in an effort to help people on this site who've asked.

They have records on the 6 cars as well. If I was remotely in the market I would have known within 10 minutes if it was a clone or not.

By the way, Ed hamburger started SLP, not his son Dave who went dumpster diving after the plant closed it's doors. And I bet the $3 million spent on "the headlights" was actually the budget given the the whole Firehawk project.

If I did buy that '98 Firehawk I'd make a deal with Dave hamburger and snag those headlights. (based on talking about what car I had, and him wanting to make a deal for Firehawk history's sake.)

~Joshua
You'd also need to either get a hood fabbed up, get yours extended or possibly, and this is a a big one, hope they possibly still have the original design hood. That would be so damn sweet if they did.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That pic looks like the 98 Hawk' is falling asleep. Cool though, I wish I owned a 98 hawk!!
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Trust
That pic looks like the 98 Hawk' is falling asleep. Cool though, I wish I owned a 98 hawk!!
Yeah, it's falling asleep.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
It is a documented car. There are indeed records of the VIN numbers used for the 6 1998 cars. Fact told by DaveH over on the Firehawk forum. Lets take that comment & lay it to rest.

Now, it didn't even get a single bid the first time around on eBay, what the heck would make ya think to list it again at the same price after so many comments about the outrageous price?!?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

i know its documented, but the guy trying to sell it for 85k shows no certificate, maybe if he had some pictures of the certificate, or the signing from the owner of SLP, and explain its story and history, maybe more people would be interested, and would actually believe him when he says "1 of 5"... not everybody knows the story of the "98 firehawk".
Old 06-15-2006, 07:37 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I read the post on the firehawk board by Dave Hamburger where the guy selling it asked Dave if he or someone else from SLP engineering could document that the car is legit, and Dave blew the guy off saying that SLP engineering closed in 2003, and that the other guy is now in another industry and that he is too busy.

So in other words, yeah, they have the means to verify the car's history, but they can't be bothered.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
Launching!

awww hell id buy it but if i had that kind of money to blow on a car .....who knows what other ridiculous crap that i would own if i had that kinda money to just toss around
Old 06-19-2006, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

No matter the history, 85k is outrageous, 60k is insane, especially considering the condition. 40k would be right, for a true pontiac collector/enthusiast.
My question.....with all the talk of it being a non-production car, for shows/media/etc, is it even street legal? If it wasn't available to the public, then usually those cars have a different VIN or something, and listed 'not for sale to public'. Would this be one of those, and 'illegal' to register?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Regular

I say for that car 22,000 dollars.

Quick Reply: Who want an $85,000 Fire Hawk?