Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Just beginning..advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006 | 04:30 PM
Teching In

Default Just beginning..advice?

Hey guys, just joined here and have been looking around. My name is nate and i am 17, almost 18, and have high hopes of owning a 98-02 trans am before the summer is over. (or possibly a z28) - basically an ls1.

I'm looking for TA's and Z28s in the $9000 - $11500 range, with under 85,000 miles on them. My main concern is insurance, but my household has not had any violations in the last 5 years, and i have a 3.0 average which adds to the insurance discount. Im mainly looking for 98-99 LS1s, because insurance will be lower. I got a quote off of geico.com and it was $129/month. There was some stuff that i didnt know, so i put the minimum of everything i did not know. Is this way too low, or about right? I put myself under my dad's insurance also.

With that said, this will be "my" first car.. ive been driving my dads 99 SSEI (supercharged) - so i am sticking with pontiacs. Is this too much for my first car, should i be looking for something a little less powerful? Id appreciate your guys opinions, sorry for the long story/rant. Thanks guys..
Old 06-16-2006 | 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by turbotooslow
Hey guys, just joined here and have been looking around. My name is nate and i am 17, almost 18, and have high hopes of owning a 98-02 trans am before the summer is over. (or possibly a z28) - basically an ls1.

I'm looking for TA's and Z28s in the $9000 - $11500 range, with under 85,000 miles on them. My main concern is insurance, but my household has not had any violations in the last 5 years, and i have a 3.0 average which adds to the insurance discount. Im mainly looking for 98-99 LS1s, because insurance will be lower. I got a quote off of geico.com and it was $129/month. There was some stuff that i didnt know, so i put the minimum of everything i did not know. Is this way too low, or about right? I put myself under my dad's insurance also.

With that said, this will be "my" first car.. ive been driving my dads 99 SSEI (supercharged) - so i am sticking with pontiacs. Is this too much for my first car, should i be looking for something a little less powerful? Id appreciate your guys opinions, sorry for the long story/rant. Thanks guys..
Why not find a nice clean LT1 T/A or Z28? Yes they'll be a little older, but insurance will be cheaper, just as good to look at..and a little bit slower but still fast enough to introduce you to a really decent performance car. You can probably find a WS6 or SS with an LT1 that was someones weekend toy and rubbed with a diaper in your price range.
Old 06-16-2006 | 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

I would say get a firebird formula, cheap insurance, some dealers don't know what it is (mine didn't and got it for a steal), and a sleeper. The cons are rare to find ws6 version and nice leather/power interior. If you have your dad as the primary driver on your car it'll be cheap
Old 06-16-2006 | 05:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaNHRA
I would say get a firebird formula, cheap insurance, some dealers don't know what it is (mine didn't and got it for a steal), and a sleeper. The cons are rare to find ws6 version and nice leather/power interior. If you have your dad as the primary driver on your car it'll be cheap
What are the specs on the formulas? Are they the same as trans am/ws6 - what are body differences..?
Old 06-16-2006 | 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by turbotooslow
What are the specs on the formulas? Are they the same as trans am/ws6 - what are body differences..?
A formula is basically the V6 firebird body with the drivetrain/engine from the T/A. Looks like a V6, but still has the LS1 in it.

As far as insurance, my car is a WS6 Formula and as quick as the insurance agency ran they VIN they knew what motor it had. In fact, my insurance card says Trans Am on it.

These cars are definately powerful, but there are alot of 17 year olds that drive them, you just have to use your head and understand that the gas pedal has more than two positions.

Pic of a formula..

http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i2...t=WS6Formy.jpg
Old 06-16-2006 | 06:52 PM
On The Tree

Hey man. I'm also 17, and that quote seems a little low. When I went to State Farm for a quote I got these results for the years:

02: $218ish/month
01: $210ish/month
00: $202ish/month

These quotes are with the car under my dad's name, but me as the primary driver. I have my Dad's Good Driver Discount, the Training Course Discount, the Driver's Ed discount, and the Safe Driving Discount (State Farm specific). I have Property Damage/Body Injury Liability, Medical Payments, Emergency Road Service (towing), Uninsured Motor Vehicle PD/BI coverage, $50 deductible on Comprehensive, and $250 deductible on collison. I didn't get the quotes on a 99 or a 98 (I will sometime next week). I found that I could lower the 00 or 01 (I can't remember which) to about $180ish/month if I increased my deductibles to $500 each. While it would decrease the amount/month, it would also force me to hand over 500 non-refundible big ones. Not really cool. I don't know the values for which I'm covered. Also, I'm pretty sure that if I lowered the amounts (not to a radical point) for which I'm covered that I could get the insurance lower. I suggest waiting till your 18th birthday and then get a new quote. It should drop a little bit. Also, talk with a rep. to see what it would actually be, do not use the internet, it can decieve you. I got a quote of over $200/month for my Accord. That is way off, because I pay about $96/month on it. Do a little more research, but good luck.
Old 06-16-2006 | 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Firebirdfan
Hey man. I'm also 17, and that quote seems a little low. When I went to State Farm for a quote I got these results for the years:

02: $218ish/month
01: $210ish/month
00: $202ish/month

These quotes are with the car under my dad's name, but me as the primary driver. I have my Dad's Good Driver Discount, the Training Course Discount, the Driver's Ed discount, and the Safe Driving Discount (State Farm specific). I have Property Damage/Body Injury Liability, Medical Payments, Emergency Road Service (towing), Uninsured Motor Vehicle PD/BI coverage, $50 deductible on Comprehensive, and $250 deductible on collison. I didn't get the quotes on a 99 or a 98 (I will sometime next week). I found that I could lower the 00 or 01 (I can't remember which) to about $180ish/month if I increased my deductibles to $500 each. While it would decrease the amount/month, it would also force me to hand over 500 non-refundible big ones. Not really cool. I don't know the values for which I'm covered. Also, I'm pretty sure that if I lowered the amounts (not to a radical point) for which I'm covered that I could get the insurance lower. I suggest waiting till your 18th birthday and then get a new quote. It should drop a little bit. Also, talk with a rep. to see what it would actually be, do not use the internet, it can decieve you. I got a quote of over $200/month for my Accord. That is way off, because I pay about $96/month on it. Do a little more research, but good luck.

Thanks man, are you driving a formula or trans am? Ill do some more research, would the insurance for an ls1 z28 be the exact same as well?
Old 06-16-2006 | 07:56 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

i would start out with a 3rd gen or an LT1 like previously mentioned ... cheaper insurance and you don't want to jump into 300+ hp right away. i know if i had my LS1 when i was 17/18 i probably would have crashed it / killed myself
Old 06-16-2006 | 09:40 PM
On The Tree

No, I don't own an T/A . It's my dream car. My parents are not willing to help me buy a T/A. Because of this, I want to buy myself one for my 18th birthday. That, or start a project car like an IROC camaro w/ an LS1 and keep my Accord.

As for the insurance being the same. I don't know. I guess it would be the same b/c the cars are essentially the same.
Old 06-17-2006 | 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im 18 and ive got a third gen with a 350 TBI and it isn't that bad on the insurance and its not all that slow
Old 06-17-2006 | 03:46 PM
TECH Addict

If you're responsible enough to handle the power, and can afford the cost, then go ahead and get one
Just be careful with it, as it can and will bite you on the *** HARD if you screw up
As for what to get obviously an ls1 is the top of your list, however you can try an lt1 (4th gen), or an l98(3rd gen) as an introduction to the higher performance cars
Although not nearly as fast as an ls1 (in stock form) either the lt1 or l98 can be made significantly faster with the right mods (tho the lt1 does not have as extensive a following as the ls1 or l98, meaning there are fewer choices for the lt1)
They all respond to the same basic mods (improving air and fuel flow) it's just a question of how well, and what the starting point is.
Any of the above choices would be a good first car, tho I'd tend to look at the "slower" ones first until you get used to driving a powerful car, as I said, they can bite hard if you screw up
Old 06-17-2006 | 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

get a 3rd gen camaro and swap in a ls1 in some time. although the fact that your asking if you can handle the power shows to me that your mature enough to ahndle it. its the people who don't question it and just floor it are the ones that **** up. another option..buy a beater..get a 2gen rx7 with a blow motor for really cheap and swap in a lt1 or l21. 2700lbs with 300whp.
Old 06-17-2006 | 10:54 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

I jsut turn 18 2 weeks ago. My 98 formy is around 160/month to insure. you can get them cheaop. I bought mine with 80k miles. remember save some money too for when the mod bug bites

Quick Reply: Just beginning..advice?