Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Guys with regular TA's run into this a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 12:00 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I get comments for having the base model hood all the time......knowing that the majority prefers the ram air hood makes me like my base model hood even more

Buy all the ram air hoods you want...each car that makes the switch just makes mine that much more unique
Old 07-28-2006, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten charged up by stock ram airs, then when i hit it and dust their *** they ask you have spray. Im like no.... just headers and exhaust. When in reality its the works with out nos.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

But yes i get that too. They look at my car like well its not a ram air its slow. Usually when they say that. Im by my car and tell them check this out. Its not a ram air but just listen, Turn it on and it scares the **** out of them its so loud. They hear the cam lobe, then they are drooling.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:05 AM
Launching!

Yeah man, I also get the same exact ****. Only by people who dont know ****. when people ask if its a WS6 or a Ram Air, I just say no... But its faster than one. And I also get some dumb *** people that think My car is a camaro. And sometimes I even get people that ask when I bought My sisters car. She had a black '96 chrysler sebring with chrome wheels, dark windows and blackouts. Most people are just ignorant.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon B.
I'm not sure if it is just me, so let me know if this happens to you guys. It seems whenever I tell someone that I have a Trans Am, the very next thing to come out of their mouth is "Is it Ram Air?". Then when I say no, they just dismiss my car like it has the Plauge. Just wondering if you guys dealt with these morons as well? Ignorance is bliss I suppose...

Jon
I must look like a real hardass because no one ever ever says anything to me about my car when I drive it. They do always compliment it when I let someone borrow it (Dad, Mother, Girlfriend etc).
I'm with you, I have a GM ramair hood on it that the previous owner had installed, I've thought about getting rid of it for the factory "regular" T/A hood, Ram Air really isn't that big a deal to everyone, even the people with it.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get nice camaro all the time, both with my 2nd gen and my 4th gen. I used to take offense, but now I take it lightly, after all they are complimenting me on my ride.
As far as the ws-6 and ram air questions, let it roll off your back. Who cares what anybody else thinks. As long as you like and enjoy your car.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Alot of people just compliment me on how it sounds. But I remember driving with a friend and a pulled up next to a WS6 and he was like "oh, he's gonna smoke you" I just kinda laughed and said "really?". Honestly I'll get a hood when I have money, but right now, I'm happy.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
I get comments for having the base model hood all the time......knowing that the majority prefers the ram air hood makes me like my base model hood even more

Buy all the ram air hoods you want...each car that makes the switch just makes mine that much more unique
I couldn't agree more.

Jon
Old 07-28-2006, 03:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

i used to get the ram air comment all the time... you couldn't tell the diff between mine and a real ws6 now, so when i get the dumbasses that dont know anything anyway i just say yea its a ws6, but anyone who actually knows cars i just say it is a clone
Old 07-28-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

i hate when ppl call it a fire chicken too
Old 07-28-2006, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Seems like people around here seem to think the Ram Air stands for supercharger. I wish.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:31 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're like me and have the SLP cold air induction, you could technically say "yes it is" when asked if your 'bird is a ram air That would probably be easier in a lot of instances rather than trying to explain it like so many of us have done....you can tell it's a lost cause once you get the deer in the headlights look.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KyleLs1
i hate when ppl call it a fire chicken too
That to me is a sign of disrespect. It is a phoenix and not a chicken. But I am learning to ignore idiots like this.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Resident

People always call my car a firebird, I really don't have a problem
Old 07-28-2006, 05:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AH HAHAHA classic question! I get it ALL the time, I put a glass ws6 hood on it that still has the solid fiberglass snorkels and tell them, hell yeah it is as I point to the non-functional air dam worth of a "ram air" system... then I tell them it sucks the air from the back of the car and have a hairdrier to blow it back up front they become speechless.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
I usually just tell people I have a Firebird (because it is). If they want to dig deeper I get the "Ram Air" question.

Jon
Old 07-28-2006, 07:25 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon B.
I usually just tell people I have a Firebird (because it is). If they want to dig deeper I get the "Ram Air" question.
Welllll..... that is debatable. (now watch, one of my fanboys will jump on me for this again. (not you, just sayin') lol)

Originally Posted by 00'WS6Rocket
I sometimes do, depending on my mood. I always get irked when they insult it by callin it a camaro though. lol

But most of the time I do correct them. It's no mere Firebird. It's a Trans Am.

Originally Posted by ActionJack
That to me is a sign of disrespect. It is a phoenix and not a chicken.
Straight up. Not only is it serious disrespect and irritating as hell, it also tells you you're dealing with an idiot who cannot tell a bird of prey from common fowl. Which is irritating in it's own right. lol
Old 07-29-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I get camaro all the time. Also get the ram air thing like my car ain't worth a damn if it ain't. Then ppl ask if it's a stick or auto. then they're totally bummed when I tell them it's an auto. people even think I have a stick because of the way my car sounds...(go figure)

Yea, I guess I have the slowest shittiest car in the world. O wait, the car is in the 11s. Never mind.

If I have my bottle in that car, that opens a whole 'nother can of worms (as if they have to step back because my car is going to blow up in 3 seconds)
Old 07-29-2006, 05:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

honestly the firehawk hood looks the best
Old 08-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This must be a generation thing. . When I tell people I have a T/A- they ask if it has a large bird decal on the hood....

Quick Reply: Guys with regular TA's run into this a lot?