Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Guys with regular TA's run into this a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you remove the baffles in the hood it might make a small difference after your going 80+ mph. If you do the FRA mod it is the same or even better. I have a WS6 and the words Ram Air mean a lot to people that don't know anything about cars. I like the styling and the agressive look, that is why I bought one.
Old 08-05-2006, 11:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I notice that when people see the ram air they get all excited and say stuff like "wow cool" and "dude look its a ram air"
Old 08-05-2006, 11:55 AM
Teching In

LOL @ Fire Chicken. That's funny ****. I've never had any Ram Air comments. There was one lady at work that knew i had a T/A and asked if mine was a ws6 because apparently she wants one. i said "no, i just bought the hood but power wise they are practically the same u just get a better suspension, little better exhaust, the hood and wheels." She's like "Oh...well i still want one". She does drive a 95 Camaro tho, so she's okay in my book.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Teching In

It has always been the same. I got the same treament in the late 80s when my 5.0 LX smoked GT's and Saleens.

It's not just the base guys. I was trying to buy a 02 TA when I found my Firehawk priced for less because it was marked as a Firebird with custom wheels. The salesman even tried to sell me a WS6 because it had a V8. I get it all the time because everybody recognizes the Ram Air hood and most don't know what a Firehawk even is. A lot of people think because the Firehawk emblem is a sticker and the TAs, Formulas, and WS6s have badges that it is a dressed up 6 cylinder.

My advice, enjoy what you have. A regular TA, Formula, and Z28 have stepped into the same sleeper role as the 5.0LX. True F Body enthusiasts will respect you for the equalizer the LS1.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine was mistaken for a V6 a couple times when the exhaust was stock. The rumble kind of gives it away now. I think the regular hood looks cleaner and areodynamic.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:59 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Firehawk485
It has always been the same. I got the same treament in the late 80s when my 5.0 LX smoked GT's and Saleens.

It's not just the base guys. I was trying to buy a 02 TA when I found my Firehawk priced for less because it was marked as a Firebird with custom wheels. The salesman even tried to sell me a WS6 because it had a V8. I get it all the time because everybody recognizes the Ram Air hood and most don't know what a Firehawk even is. A lot of people think because the Firehawk emblem is a sticker and the TAs, Formulas, and WS6s have badges that it is a dressed up 6 cylinder.

My advice, enjoy what you have. A regular TA, Formula, and Z28 have stepped into the same sleeper role as the 5.0LX. True F Body enthusiasts will respect you for the equalizer the LS1.
As pointed out, it's more than just a hood. It's decently wider tires. Makes a big difference if you like going 'round corners (and braking).

Is your Firehawk a Formula? I still can't beleive SLP stooped to selling Trans Am's under that name.

The hood is bad ***, even on a T/A. But I guess I'm just old fashioned. Forever they were only Formula's. Hence "Fire Hawk" - an enhanced Firebird, not a Trans Am.

Or maybe I'm just bitter that the WS6 (that I got) wasn't the top of the line Trans Am.

(the former actually, )
Old 08-05-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

I had to explain to this ricer forever that the LS1 came in Formula and TransAm not just WS6's. My car also has RAM air w/ a regular hood.

Old 08-05-2006, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

oh ya i had a guy at my school who drove a ws6 car and when i told him i had the fastest car at the school he asked me what i drove and i said a trans am. then he asks well is it a ram air? i said no. then he said that he would blow my doors off so iasked him if he wanted to run for some money and then i think he got a lil scared bc he said oh my dad wont let me race this car. i was like ya thats what i thought keep running your mouth. freaking queers. but anyway the ram air hoods def look nicer than trans am but i dont care trans am weighs less than a ws6 and a formula weighs less than them all lol
Old 08-05-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bjamick
but anyway the ram air hoods def look nicer than trans am but i dont care trans am weighs less than a ws6 and a formula weighs less than them all lol
the ram air hood is lighter then a reg TA hood
Old 08-05-2006, 04:51 PM
Launching!

First things my friends asked me lol. Is it a WS-6?

No.

oh......(big akward silence)

lol.

I already have the SLP CAI and lid, I go back and forth whether to get a hood or not. I certaintly like the ram air hood better. But wouldn't that mean I couldn't use my SLP CAI?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im sorry but the firehawk hood looks alot better then the ws6....much smoother and inline with the car
Old 08-05-2006, 11:56 PM
Staging Lane

funny **** happens to me all the time..
girls call my lt1 Z28 a trans am.. hehe
soo far 80% of the guys that ask me stuff about my car ask me, "hey hows that trans am?" or "is that ur trans am?"

i guess having xenon ground fx gives it more of a trans am look, but come on, there r "Z28" emblems on mycar lol
Old 08-06-2006, 12:33 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by HPP
Is your Firehawk a Formula? I still can't beleive SLP stooped to selling Trans Am's under that name.
Nope, its a TA. I updated my signature.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by misfits
funny **** happens to me all the time..
girls call my lt1 Z28 a trans am.. hehe
soo far 80% of the guys that ask me stuff about my car ask me, "hey hows that trans am?" or "is that ur trans am?"

i guess having xenon ground fx gives it more of a trans am look, but come on, there r "Z28" emblems on mycar lol
LOL, one of the guards at the gate asked me, "Is this a Z28 or SS?" I said, "No, it's a TransAm" and he is like, "Oh, I like Z28's" lol what a loon.

I don't know how many people know of WS6... I swear, I never heard of WS6 until I was searching to buy me a Firebird last year. I thought TransAm was the fastest one... lol! Well, another thing is I was telling some guys at work I got a Firebird and my other friend was like, "It's a TransAm not a Firebird!" Then we got into some argument.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:34 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zentenk
Well, another thing is I was telling some guys at work I got a Firebird and my other friend was like, "It's a TransAm not a Firebird!" Then we got into some argument.
He's right.

Not to start an argument, but there is something to that. If you ignore what's on the title or what managment chooses to call it. It's part of the line, but it's own separate model.

And it should be top of the line too. That was it's original intent. Leave the drag racing to the Firebird 400's, and go road racing, but do it in Pontiac style (which means fully equipped, not stripped, with all the goodies).

Later they called the fast Firebirds, Formula's and left plain ol' basic "Firebirds" as the base models.

So the idea of a non-WS6 Trans Am is crazy. It was bean counters. They need to be strung up by the short and curlies.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my response is a lil off topic but does have the same take!
i have had quite a few older gents come up to me and say,"i had one just like that but it did not have t-tops,manual trans or that hot azz leather interior!"
my question back is how was it JUST like this?!?!?
Old 08-06-2006, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

I see this all the time... I have a WS6 OEM hood on my car and people are like damn nice car it's a WS6 ram air right? I'm like no but it does have functional Ram AIR and everything better then a stock ws6 would have. Then they are like so it's not a ws6? ..... No... lol but it'll kill a stock one! ha
Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 PM
12 Second Club

a LOT fo people especially corvette guys wont even LOOK TWICE at the formy but thats fine with me..give it more of a sleeper look..and they dont expect 400 ft lbs at the ground either so...well the Look on their face AFTER they get chewed up on the road is MORE than enough for me..

and i love the super hawk hood..will get one when i can flip 1500 for a damn hod and paint..
Old 08-07-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

If a female says "nice Firebird" I say thanks, if a guy says it, I tend to correct him. I think I would rather be corrected so I did not make a stupid mistake the next time I was trying to compliment someone. Lets be honest, there is a difference in base Birds and T/A's.

Mine has not been mistaken since I put in the shaker hood though.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
On The Tree

I just don't like saying TransAm because everyone starts looking for my mullet. When someone calls it Firebird I don't care, now if I had a Cobra and someone called it a Mustang or an SRT-4 and someone called it a Neon I would be kinda upset. But Firebird sounds better than TransAm...

I had one guy on another forum making fun of me or something about my V6 bird in my signature. I was like, "don't you see the TransAm package you moron? The 2 fog lights and the rear spoiler?" Then he wen't on talking about me being some ungrateful Airman. How we are all hoodlums and he is some cool SSgt, what a tool he is. (I guess because I owned a better car then he did or something)

Quick Reply: Guys with regular TA's run into this a lot?