Received 1,789 Likes on 1,276 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
^^^^

Good memories right there!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT14MULAWS-6
i think all f bodies sucked before 93, though i had a very rare 85 trans am ws6 1st year tpi that was factory yellow with 41k on it. i loved it and preserved it through the years i owned it but in the long run i jsut faced the facts, they are big ugly boxy tanks of firebirds and camaros. lol those hound dog eyes in the camaro and who can forget night rider? i personally dont care if a third gen can grow wings and fly, its still turn gen to me. thirdgens were cool when i was 17 but that whole they handle better thing is jsut something thirdgen guys would say to passify themselves when these georgous 4th gen beasts with nearly 60hp more in stock form and the availability of a 6 speed would come stomping past jimmy in his iroc, rocking some RATT with a mullet!.......lol

WOW just WOW that has to be the most ignorant bunch of **** I have ever read you do realize that a T-56 is a direct bolt in for a thirgen right you know the reason they didn't get them? THEY DIDN"T ******* EXIST AT THE TIME

why do thirdgen owners say they handle better? because typically they do even with our "truck" steering system

and as far as tanks thirdgens are some of the lightest F-bodys ever made
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RPM Mark
And not every Third Gen has 200,000 miles and more rust than paint.
There are a lot of people that grew up with these cars and are reminded of their past experiences when they see one of these cars like a number of people have posted in this thread.

I have built L98s and LS1s. I can say from experience that I will not build an L98 for power again, or anything other than an LS1 just because of cost and ease per amount of power made. BUT that does not mean that Third Gens are "turds" For their time they were the fastest cars besides the C4s. The last Third Gen was built almost 15 years ago. Can we factor a little bit of that into your "LS1s have 60 more hp from the factory" equation?????
Mine has about 200k on it and its as rust free as they come

As far as building LS1 VS L98 I would take L98 almost every time LS1 is just too easy for me and there are soo many its lame

Example 1 kid with money that dont know cam specs from a hole in his *** buys LS1 drops it off at a shop and says here make me go Y fast

Example 2 Kid with some mechanical ability buys LS1 comes on here goes to the 11 second club forum sees what other people have and straps it on his car and boom there he is

Not saying that all LS1 people are like that but theres enough to **** me off and turn me off to the whole deal

Oh and I wouldn't buy a 4th gen with power windows soo its hard for me to find one that I would even buy LOL
Old 03-08-2007, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Reminds me of some comments I get from the C5 guys from time to time. About how people like me with LS1 F-bodies only have the F-body because we can't afford the Vette.
And this reminds me of when I bought my 1989 TTA brand new off the show room floor. I was 26, and my friends could not BELIEVE I spent that much money on a Trans Am, when for about the same, I could have bought a Corvette.

My reply....I don't want a Corvette....never wanted one, and never will want one. I'm a diehard TA guy.

-Rich
Old 03-08-2007, 08:45 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by rmpitzer
And this reminds me of when I bought my 1989 TTA brand new off the show room floor. I was 26, and my friends could not BELIEVE I spent that much money on a Trans Am, when for about the same, I could have bought a Corvette.

My reply....I don't want a Corvette....never wanted one, and never will want one. I'm a diehard TA guy.

-Rich
I think you made the right choice. IMO, an '89 Vette is a nice car, but if I was shopping for a new toy in 1989, I would have picked the '89 TTA over the '89 Vette as well.

Apperently for some it's hard to beleive that there are people like us that buy F-bodies because we actually like the cars, and it really has little to do with price or what we can/can't afford....
Old 03-08-2007, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe in your opinion. I like all gens of F-body, they are all cool. But I'd take a 3rd/4th gen over a 1st/2nd gen of comparable condition no question.

I grew up with the 3rd gens, so I still love them. But I then grew into the 4th gen, and that's where I belong now.
you seriously would a 3rd or 4th gen over a 1st gen?

Geez I am at a loss for words. Seeing that a 1st gen Camaro or Firebird (67 or 68) was my dream car since I was like 7. And I gave my right arm(no not literally) for my 68 Bird.

Maybe its just because I am old school
Old 03-08-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Captainofiron

Geez I am at a loss for words. Seeing that a 1st gen Camaro or Firebird (67 or 68) was my dream car since I was like 7. And I gave my right arm(no not literally) for my 68 Bird.

Maybe its just because I am old school

1st gens are like seeing freakin' King Arthurs sword, or freakin' Charlemagne's tomb.

They sell bare '67 chasis's for $2k sometimes. I'm not going to buy one for that price because you have to be f%cking crazy to pay that much, but I have seen it happen.

I'd take a comparable condition 1st gen over a that same condition 3rd/4th gen ANYDAY.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:44 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Yes I would.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see a clean 1st/2nd gen. They are indeed cool cars and they were the beginning of the F-body era. I have a great deal of respect for them. But I don't have any strong desire to own one. I don't have any sort of sentimental attachment to those cars.

I grew up around the 3rd gens. I remember going to the autoshow when I was a kid and seeing the 3rd gens as brand new cars back in the mid '80s. I knew back then that I had to have one. Then after having a love affair with G-bodies and A-bodies in the early-mid '90s (I still love the G & A-bodies as well), I eventually found my way back to the 3rd gen F-cars by the mid-late '90s. I wouldn't trade the memories I have with my 3rd gen for anything. It was a great, fun car.

Then the '98+ body 4th gens hit the scene, and I started to fall in love with them after about a year. I bought my first brand new F-body in 1999 (a Z28). A year later bought a brand new '00 WS6, and 4 years later I bought my current '98 Z28 (low mileage used). I've had a world of fun with these cars, and I just love the way they look and drive. Just looking at it makes me happy.

I will always love the 3rd gens. They were my first F-body love.

I will always love the 4th gens. They were the first F-bodies I bought brand new, and over the years of ownership they have become my favorite in every way.

Eventually, I plan to own a 5th gen (though it won't technically be an F-body). Only time will tell if I'll fall in love with those as well.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 03-08-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:47 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Originally Posted by Genesis_26317
1st gens are like seeing freakin' King Arthurs sword, or freakin' Charlemagne's tomb.

You must not go to very many car shows. I see at least one 1st gen at every big local cruise night that I attend around here.

Granted, they aren't nearly as common as a 4th gen obviously, but they are pretty popular and not at all scarce in the show circuit.
Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

You must not go to very many car shows. I see at least one 1st gen at every big local cruise night that I attend around here.

Granted, they aren't nearly as common as a 4th gen obviously, but they are pretty popular and not at all scarce in the show circuit.

Not saying they are scarce, they are just legendary in numbers matching mint condition.

I regularly see C1's and SR-71's but I still get that whoaaaa feeling when I see one.

Even a M1 Abrams gives you that whoa feeling (been awhile since I have seen that since I switched over to anti-nukes and satellites), there is something about seeing a jet-engine powered depleted uranium armored super tank.

Don't get that feeling from either my old C5, my current Z06, or even my 99' Z28. It is just a DIFFERENT feel in comparison not a better one.

A LS6 makes 405 hp but seeing/hearing/feeling a BBC only making 370 is an experience.
Old 03-08-2007, 12:20 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

^^^^

I get more of a WOW factor when I see something like a mint '89 TTA. Or a perfect '92 Firehawk. Or a '97 LT4 Camaro SS.

1st/2nd gens are great to see and I wouldn't want to live in a world without them. But they are second on the "wow" scale for me, behind the 3rd & 4th gens.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^

I get more of a WOW factor when I see something like a mint '89 TTA. Or a perfect '92 Firehawk. Or a '97 LT4 Camaro SS.

1st/2nd gens are great to see and I wouldn't want to live in a world without them. But they are second on the "wow" scale for me, behind the 3rd & 4th gens.
I'm feel pretty much similar with your views toward F-body's.As far as owning a Vette,I almost bought a 2004 C5 (Favorite style) before I bought the WS6.It wasn't a money thing that made me decide,it's that I've always loved F-body's and I knew I really wanted the '02.I'll probably still get one in the future,but I'm not gonna give up the WS6 for it,you know.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Having owned an F-body from all 4 gens I can truly say the third gens are fine. Instead of just ranting personal asthetic opinions and insults like some seem to I'll make a list below of what I think are the unbiased pros and cons of the third gens (subject of this thread) compared to the 4th gens in no particular order:

pros:

• 3rd Gen T/A with aero package was the most aerodynamic f-body made. (the '84 T/A, for example was rated at .29 cd. the cd ratings on the 4th gens I've seen are .31)
• lightweight car- easy to build up for speed and handling
• currently at their lowpoint in value- so it's cheap to get one. good, bad, however you want...
• ingress/ egress is better for the third gens (means getting into and ou of the car easier)
• less blind spots than a 4th gen.
• many interchangable parts with the 4th gen. If you like the interiors, wheels, suspension pieces, drivetrain, etc most of it bolts right up.
• the older cars tend to be less mandated on smog regulations. Easier to build up legally (if you care about this sort of thing)

neutral:

• knight rider/ tv show association. some love this, others hate it.
• not as common on the road anymore. some love this, others hate it. I love it. I like not having a "me too" car (mustang or honda)
• not a lot of "collector" editions. sure, there's a few and just a few are of high interest/ value. great for those who own them (turbo, Firehawk, possibly Mecham's and eventually the anniversary edition, I hope), bad for those who wish to.

cons:
• structurally not as strong as the 4th gens stock. they need a "wonder bar" and the 4th gen was structurally improved in front (suspension, subframe, etc)...
• they came with 305's. Let's face it, the Gen 2 and 3 engines are better. but it's not really a fair comparison. It's what was available at the time. Nowadays one can retrofit (as I did) a Gen 3 engine in a gen 3 car.
• t-tops tend to leak. the 4th gen t-tops were designed better and tend to leak less.
• interiors were made with cheap plastic. then again, virtually all GM cars are made with cheap plastic. cracks easy, rattles, etc.
• later 3rd gens were built at the lowpoint of GM quality control. enough said.
• doors like to sag. but, this has been a problem on the 2nd gen f-bodies, too. and, you have to replace the bushing itself, you can't just blt on a new set of hinges like you can on an earlier gen car.

personally, I like the asthetics of the third gen. I like having actual form to the vehicle. I think the 4th gens look like a melted bar of soap. but, that's me and just my opinion.

-Brendon
Old 03-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Teching In

They can be made in to nice cars, But my 94 toyota pickup would probly kick my 92 camaros ***.its also a 5.0 tbi not a good third gen
Old 03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Staging Lane

I love and miss my 87 iroc-z, yeah it was slow....but it was still fun as hell, controlled better than my WS6, looked beautiful, sounded great, if i had a place to keep it and if i had time to drive 2 cars, i would buy it back (i regret selling it)
Old 03-08-2007, 07:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yes I would.

Don't get me wrong, I love to see a clean 1st/2nd gen. They are indeed cool cars and they were the beginning of the F-body era. I have a great deal of respect for them. But I don't have any strong desire to own one. I don't have any sort of sentimental attachment to those cars.

I grew up around the 3rd gens. I remember going to the autoshow when I was a kid and seeing the 3rd gens as brand new cars back in the mid '80s. I knew back then that I had to have one. Then after having a love affair with G-bodies and A-bodies in the early-mid '90s (I still love the G & A-bodies as well), I eventually found my way back to the 3rd gen F-cars by the mid-late '90s. I wouldn't trade the memories I have with my 3rd gen for anything. It was a great, fun car.
Yea I grew up around 3rd gens too, and I grew up addicted to Knight Rider, but still, there like said above by genesis, there is no feeling like the one of cruising down the highway with a classic car.
I just went today to get the inspection sticker for my Impala lots of people were waving and giving thumbs up, but if I drive around in my Trans Am, all I get are revs from ricers and mustangs, and a bunch of dirty looks from people.

Anyways, own a old car, it will change your perspective

Originally Posted by rmpitzer

-Rich
I salute you Rich
Old 03-08-2007, 07:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

there is no feeling like the one of cruising down the highway with a classic car.
I just went today to get the inspection sticker for my Impala lots of people were waving and giving thumbs up, but if I drive around in my Trans Am, all I get are revs from ricers and mustangs, and a bunch of dirty looks from people.
Give your T/A time. If it's still in great shape when it's 42 years old, people will act the same way about that car too. Just takes time is all. I'm sure few people really looked twice at a '65 Impala when it was 10 years old either.

Anyways, own a old car, it will change your perspective
Been there, done that.

Had a '71 Cutlass S hardtop for a while in the mid-'90s; sharp car, had 56k miles on it and was in pretty good original shape. Had a high compression Olds 350 motor with a 4bbl and a TH400. I still love the old A-bodies and always will.

But as much as I loved my Cutlass, I get far more pleasure out of driving my 3rd and 4th gen F-bodies.
Old 03-09-2007, 01:19 AM
Launching!

I always felt the '92 Z28 was a really good looking car.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Personally I like the way the 3rd Gens handle compared to my 4th Gen.
Old 03-09-2007, 09:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Batman WS-6
Personally I like the way the 3rd Gens handle compared to my 4th Gen.
Word 4th gens are too dumbed down for the masses the 3rd gen is alot more Spartan of a car a more visceral driving experience

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen or Turd Gen?