Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

THEFTLOCK Radio Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default THEFTLOCK Radio Questions?

I just bought a 95 T/A. It had a tape player that wasn't working at all, the owner sent the original CD player along with it. I plugged it in and can't get anything. I was going to buy one off ebay, then I saw the theftlock on the radio and wondered what was up with that. I bought an SS last year and the owner gave me the "code" for my SS but I don't know what it's for. Do I need a Code for my T/A's radio to work? Does a dealer have to do it? Will a used radio off ebay work? Please help, no tunes. Brandon.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just paid the dealer $45.00 Saturday to unlock my radio because I did not know the code that had been punched into my radio last. When battery power is disconnected for any reason, the radio is locked until you punch in the matching code that is in radio memory. If NOT, the dealer is the only one that can unlock it by calling the GM to get the FACTORY unlock code. Save the code# that you were given, you will need it.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Check the bottom of this thread, I don't know if it will work for a 95 but it worked for my 2000. https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/612644-monsoon-faq.html
Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

you do know they can disable the codes right? dealers can nobody steals factory radios
Old 04-13-2007, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you can also change the code to your own setting if you want.

I had a '95 T/A and changed the code to my setting after having to pay the dealer to unlock it for the first time (bought the car used)

It's a good piece of mind having it, and not a big deal to do...
Old 04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

When I plug my radio up and turn the key on, I'm getting no lights or anything on the screen out of either one, so I guess I need to check my fuses, or I just have 2 junk radio's. So if I buy a radio off ebay and it's theftlocked, I'll have to take the car to the dealer to get it un-locked? Thanks Brandon.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by sunsetta
Just paid the dealer $45.00 Saturday to unlock my radio because I did not know the code that had been punched into my radio last. When battery power is disconnected for any reason, the radio is locked until you punch in the matching code that is in radio memory. If NOT, the dealer is the only one that can unlock it by calling the GM to get the FACTORY unlock code. Save the code# that you were given, you will need it.
Sorry, but there is a sequence that many know...Local stereo shop unlocked mine a year ago----took him 1 minute and no charge..
Old 04-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You don't need to pay anyone to unlock the radio. There have been many threads on bypassing the TheftLoc. Its even in the sticky in the Stereo & Electronics section. A part of that sticky was already linked above in phoenix67's post (#3).
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Do a search on here that's what I did. There is a phone number and a dealer access code to punch in when it prompts you and then it will you give you an unlock code to punch in. It's real easy, you just may have to try a series of the dealer codes that people have posted on here before you find one that works. I tried two before I got one.

Quick Reply: THEFTLOCK Radio Questions?