Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Hmm, I would argue that you have a true Firehawk, rather than a Trans Am with a Firehawk pacakge applied to it. Thus, there is no need to call it a "Formula Firehawk", as it's somewhat redundant.

I know it's probably *just* me, but since it started out as a Formula, and for good reason, and was always a Formula until the very end, they are the only TRUE Firehawks, IMO.
I happen to agree with this post...

But I try not to hate any f-bodies... I give them all love... well maybe not the V6 ones
Old 06-07-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Pain in the *** to explain if you ask me.... The only people around here who get it either had a formula at one time, still do, or got their asses kicked by one. Even alot of the TA guys don't know what one is.... *shakes head*
Old 06-07-2007, 04:04 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lol, I know I've seen Formy's that said Firebird over the Phoenix on the back (between the tail-lights). If you removed yours, or didn't come that way on your year, I stand corrected.
Nope, you're right. It definetly is really annoying to attempt to explain it. Most people I've explained it to still call it a Trans Am. Oh well, some people will never learn.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol, I know I've seen Formy's that said Firebird over the Phoenix on the back (between the tail-lights). If you removed yours, or didn't come that way on your year, I stand corrected.
My 93 doesn't say Firebird anywhere, but probably on the inside door sticker heh It only says 3 things on the outside. Formula V8 on the Drv headlight, and pass side bumper and P O N T I A C under the tail lights embossed into the body panel.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackhawk777
Pain in the *** to explain if you ask me.... The only people around here who get it either had a formula at one time, still do, or got their asses kicked by one. Even alot of the TA guys don't know what one is.... *shakes head*
I know what 4th gen Formula is! A TA with bad aerodynamics!!
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
Launching!

bad Aerodynamics? They have a sleeker aerodynmic design than TA's do. If any thing a TA is a Formula with bad Aerodynamics. they have more of a straight line appearance. I'd say if you wind tunnel tested one it would have less drag than a TA.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by thecorrectformula
bad Aerodynamics? They have a sleeker aerodynmic design than TA's do. If any thing a TA is a Formula with bad Aerodynamics. they have more of a straight line appearance. I'd say if you wind tunnel tested one it would have less drag than a TA.
It's probably a wash. Assuming WS6 to WS6 or non to non. The Firebird's bumper cover is probably a bit cleaner since it doesn't have the holes to nowhere that the T/A's does, but, beleive it or not, the shallow ducktail spoiler can actually create more downforce and create more of a low pressure area behind the car, that means more drag. The raised wing on the T/A IS effective, but it's not as effective as it looks (too low, really).
Old 06-08-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thecorrectformula
Agreed. The Formulas are lighter too, due to their version spoiler. I just recently learned that. 50-70lbs lighter
Old 06-09-2007, 08:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Most of the time I don't bother trying to explain what my car is to the clueless folks. I'll just tell them it's a T/A.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Staging Lane

yeah, It also depends on the person you are telling, if they know nothing about f-body's i just say its a TA, cause i do get it alot on people asking, what's a formula? or does it have a V8?

'00 Formula A4, 3.23's, Lid, Cat-back..Pacesetter LT's coming on soon!!
Old 06-10-2007, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pfft... "I thought the only car with a V8 is the WS6?" Apparently base model hood = V6 I don't have a formula but I still feel you guys.

GROUP HUG!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

I like having a Formula over a T/A. I get crap from people at school saying "Your car is slow cuz its only a firebird and it only has a v6" You should see the looks on their faces when I take em for a ride!

Then you get the ricers that pull up next to ya and laugh when they dont see the ram air hood or the high rise spoiler, but refuse to look over at me when I beat them to the next traffic light by 10+ car lengths. It definatly pulls off the "sleeper" look perfectly!
Old 06-10-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

There arent many birds/ tas here. And i only know of one formy, a yellow 93. People always ask me if mine has a V8, but sadly i only have six. I also like to get a light next to a ricer, tey rev it up and sound like a pissed off bumble bee. i just floor it and never look back. This one guy in a SUNFIRE asked me to race him. He said since it was a 6 it wasnt that much faster...needless to say i beat him, then he asked to drive my bird. loser.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

If they ask if it's a V6, rev it up and say "Yep, I just got a loudspeaker with a V8 recording".
Old 06-11-2007, 03:37 AM
Launching!

It definatly pulls off the "sleeper" look perfectly!
I wish I could pull this off but my car shakes my house at idle so people usually know it's packing. Still fun tearing apart 350z's and the occasional Mustang who think there badass.
Old 06-11-2007, 05:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
For the first 6 years or so after I purchased my Formula (new in Feb 97) when I told people I owned a Formula, I drew a blank stare. "Well, it's a V6 body with a Trans Am drivetrain." Then they sort of understood. Now I just say that I have a Trans Am and they get it immediately. Grrr.
Anyone else have this? When talking to non-fbody persons, of course.
i get the exact same response. i just stopped telling people what it is. they're like Nice trans am and im like yep uh huh what ever and keep going about my business. its just not worth it to try and explain what it is to people anymore.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

can i still be in the family ..? i got a 95 formula with the t/a front end, side skirts and hatch that i threw on. i still got my emblems on ! I have no clue what to call my car now ! haha help me out.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Atleast most know it's a Pontiac. I had several people ask me about my "Camaro" when I had the '01 WS6. Nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 06-11-2007, 12:17 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LS69TA
Atleast most know it's a Pontiac. I had several people ask me about my "Camaro" when I had the '01 WS6. Nothing surprises me anymore.
I had that too when I went to get new tires. The guy said, "That's a nice Camaro you got there." in reference to my Formula.
Old 06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Staging Lane

That happend with me to, when I had my v6. My g/f was with me and she started to laugh while I just sighed.

Quick Reply: Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?