Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007 | 02:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?

For the first 6 years or so after I purchased my Formula (new in Feb 97) when I told people I owned a Formula, I drew a blank stare. "Well, it's a V6 body with a Trans Am drivetrain." Then they sort of understood. Now I just say that I have a Trans Am and they get it immediately. Grrr.
Anyone else have this? When talking to non-fbody persons, of course.
Old 06-04-2007 | 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some days I can be real nice about it others I feel if they don't know, their not worth talking to.

Firebird Formula ; The True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.
Old 06-04-2007 | 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

No...I dont have that problem, LOL.
Old 06-04-2007 | 06:50 PM
Launching!

All the time because I have a bunch of car stupid people that live around me. I just tell them its the Pontiac version of a Z28 or a Firebird on some major steroids.
Old 06-04-2007 | 10:12 PM
Q
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yea....My sister-n-law was asking me if my car was really called a Formula. I told her yes..it even says it on my door. She then proceeds to tell me that our Brother-n-law said there was no such thing. This is coming from a guy who "owned" 1969 Camaro.

Then for the people that don't know what a Formula is...I don't even bother giving them an explaination.
Old 06-05-2007 | 01:06 AM
TECH Junkie
20 Year Member

So...what's a Formula?
Old 06-05-2007 | 02:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by _JB_
So...what's a Formula?
It's a lighter, faster version of your car. Yea? What now?

Some people don't know, some people are too stupid, some people are both and aren't worth the time to explain. Most of the time we're called a Trans Am, and we have to explain that a T/A is a Firebird, and that the T/A is a option package, much like what our Formula is.

It's silly most of the time.
Old 06-05-2007 | 03:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

try having 2 of them...

new neighbor noticed both of them in the garage, he proceeds to ask me why i wasted my money buying 2 v6 cars when i could have bought a "ram air v8" trans am instead.

some people just never understand...
Old 06-05-2007 | 07:14 AM
On The Tree

You think its hard to explain Formula! Try explaining a Formula Firehawk LOL.

"... a Firewhat?" is usually the response when I actually call it a Firehawk... and that's around 'car people'.

For people who don't know, I generally just tell them I have a Firebird and leave it at that. Who cares if they know what I have?
Old 06-05-2007 | 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula350
It's a lighter, faster version of your car. Yea? What now?

Some people don't know, some people are too stupid, some people are both and aren't worth the time to explain. Most of the time we're called a Trans Am, and we have to explain that a T/A is a Firebird, and that the T/A is a option package, much like what our Formula is.

It's silly most of the time.
Well....... I don't have "Firebird" anywhere on my car, unlike you. And I have a different front end and wing. Not TOO much different than what separates the good F-Bodies from the camaros (essentially, it looks different despite being largely the same). So.... it's like a twin sibling, but still different. (if *nothing* else, it's distinguished as no *mere* Firebird, it's a Trans Am)

But anyway...... Why bother explaining anything to people? Or worse, indulging their stupidity? If they don't know what a Formula is, isn't that their problem? Tell them it's a Formula and if they ask politely, explain it, but if they give ya hard time, let 'em know they are morons and they should try google, IF they can get online without any help.

At least, that's what I would do. But I've always been a Trans Am guy.
Old 06-05-2007 | 09:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by T-hawk

"... a Firewhat?" is usually the response when I actually call it a Firehawk... and that's around 'car people'.

For people who don't know, I generally just tell them I have a Firebird and leave it at that. Who cares if they know what I have?
Hmm, I would argue that you have a true Firehawk, rather than a Trans Am with a Firehawk pacakge applied to it. Thus, there is no need to call it a "Formula Firehawk", as it's somewhat redundant.

I know it's probably *just* me, but since it started out as a Formula, and for good reason, and was always a Formula until the very end, they are the only TRUE Firehawks, IMO.
Old 06-05-2007 | 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1W66

Firebird Formula ; The True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.
That says it all

Like the HD saying goes "If I have to explain, you don't understand"
Old 06-05-2007 | 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks for the Kudo's

Most people don't realize that the Formula has been around since 1970 and while it was not as popular as the Trans Am, it was available with every performance option the Trans Am was. And except for a 5 year hiatus in the mid 80's, It was the best performance bargain in the Pontiac line up.
Old 06-05-2007 | 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Well....... I don't have "Firebird" anywhere on my car, unlike you.
By all means, explain where my car says Firebird on it

Exactly, no where, just like yours.
Old 06-06-2007 | 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Formula350
By all means, explain where my car says Firebird on it

Exactly, no where, just like yours.
lol, I know I've seen Formy's that said Firebird over the Phoenix on the back (between the tail-lights). If you removed yours, or didn't come that way on your year, I stand corrected.
Old 06-06-2007 | 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Having prepared an article on Second-gen Firebird development for High Performance Pontiac magazine, and spoken with Pontiac’s Chief Designer (William L. Porter) specifically about the different models available in 1970, I can say that what LS1W66 has posted is correct.

Ported said they envisioned the Firebird in two distinct categories; one for average buyers that wanted a sporty car, and one for true performance enthusiasts. Looking at it from a standard-equipment standpoint, the base Firebird was an entry-level, no-frills, economic model, while the Esprit was a boulevard cruiser aimed at more affluent buyers.

The Formula and Trans Am were intended to be hardcore performance models. The Formula contained many of the same components as the base Firebird, but it included a higher rate suspension (14-inch wheels, and 1.125-inch front and 0.675-inch rear sway bars) and a 400ci engine as standard equipment. Buyers could then make their Formula as plush as they wanted with a number of available items otherwise standard on the Esprit.

Though one could opt for the available R/A III engine, the Formula in 1970 wasn’t quite what the Trans Am was that year. Porter said Pontiac saw the T/A as a complete performance and aerodynamic statement, and it was aimed at those buyers who were serious about performance.

In 1971, the Trans Am rear spoiler became an option on the Formula, as did Y99 suspension (Trans Am suspension with 15-inch wheels, 1.25-inch front and 0.875-ich rear sway bars), and the 455 H.O. engine. Its image as a performance model grew from the early years, and the Formula was oftentimes considered a stripped down Trans Am. As such, a properly equipped (or more correctly, unequipped) Formula could be the ultimate sleeper offering a bare-bones economy with maximum performance.

The Formula concept changed slightly over the years, and during the 1981 model year, the 3.8L V-6 actually replaced the 4.3L V-8 (Pontiac) as the standard power plant. The model was dropped from the Firebird line-up when the third-gens debuted in 1982. It wasn’t until 1987 when the Formula concept was resurrected, and the Pontiac began offering top level performance, in an entry level package, and recaptured that void in the market segment.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by T-hawk

Lucky ***. I love firehawks but don't have the budget to consider getting one and I was too ignorant when I bought my car to look for one.
Old 06-06-2007 | 02:49 PM
On The Tree

I just say its a "Ws6 Trans Am Lite"
Old 06-06-2007 | 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

all the time i just say a v8 firebird its a trim level down from a trans am same drivetrain tho. pretty easy explaination i think
Old 06-06-2007 | 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ws6chicken
I just say its a "Ws6 Trans Am Lite"

Quick Reply: Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?