Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 03:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had a couple people ask me about my "camaro" too. I correct them.

I'd correct them if they called it a "Firebird" or a Formula too (it's a Trans Am ), but calling it a camaro.... I get offended at that. lol

But like I said before, if you drove a Koeniggsegg, what would ya tell people then? No point in getting into a class with diagrams and org charts for an hour, but also no point in getting frustrated with people who are genuinely interested and don't know. Spread the word. Let's get people clued in that they don't have to be blinded by stuff with a bright chevy badge just because it HAS a bright chevy badge. Who knows, you might just make some new Pontiac fans.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
No point in getting into a class with diagrams and org charts for an hour... ...Spread the word. Let's get people clued in...
Yes, I chopped it up, and it's meaning is changed, but hear me out!

We should create an international "WHAT MY CAR IS" Sheet, you can print out and have like 10 copies with you, Anyone who asks what your car is, or mis names it, just hand them the sheet. It'll be different for Camaros or Firebirds, but basically the same idea
Old 06-11-2007, 05:02 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yes, I chopped it up, and it's meaning is changed, but hear me out!

We should create an international "WHAT MY CAR IS" Sheet, you can print out and have like 10 copies with you, Anyone who asks what your car is, or mis names it, just hand them the sheet. It'll be different for Camaros or Firebirds, but basically the same idea
That's hilarious. I like that idea. Someone should make a Formula description with pictures and post it so we can all print them out.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I have to explain, it's just to say that it's a Trans Am without the body kit. Usually if they know a little bit about our cars, they're already confused by the fact that they're looking at a WS6 that's not a Trans Am, which takes about 10 times longer to explain. I don't mind though.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:18 PM
Staging Lane

i got asked once if my WS6 had a straight six in it. the guy even said he was into cars. i should have know cus he was sellign magiznes door to door.
Old 06-12-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by krink85
i got asked once if my WS6 had a straight six in it. the guy even said he was into cars. i should have know cus he was sellign magiznes door to door.
Vortec I6 would be cool lol They'll do anything to get you to buy their ****
Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The definition should read as follows. Hope you guys like it.

FORMULA ; Affordable Performance Oriented Variant of the Firebird line.
A True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.
Everything a Trans Am is without all the Fluff.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just say it's a V6 body with a V8. That almost instantly clicks for most people. That's to say if I even say it's a Formula... usually I'll just say I own a Firebird, which is an almost idiot proof response.

-J
Old 06-12-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1W66
The definition should read as follows. Hope you guys like it.

FORMULA ; Affordable Performance Oriented Variant of the Firebird line.
A True No Frills Performance Car from Pontiac.
Everything a Trans Am is without all the Fluff.
Yea, but I think it'd be fair to note, like Lastcall said, it's a Base Firebird for the most part. Yea, we get better springs, and sway bars, a few other upgraded components, but for the most part that doesn't change for the TransAm.
Old 06-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

In Germany 99.9% doesn t know what is a Formula. When you have luck than the people can read and find out it is a pontiac. Everytime when this young guys ask me i tell them it is an V6 that need much gas and is slow as hell because it has awight of 4000lbs Than the most people are lucky because they have not so an history amerikan car like me
Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 Formula
In Germany 99.9% doesn t know what is a Formula. When you have luck than the people can read and find out it is a pontiac. Everytime when this young guys ask me i tell them it is an V6 that need much gas and is slow as hell because it has awight of 4000lbs Than the most people are lucky because they have not so an history amerikan car like me
Just out of curiosity, why would you do that?

US cars already have a rep of being bloated, overweight underperforming lumps, even though it's NOT true.

On the other hand, ricers hear a bogus claim about their tiny wind-up toys and it (likewise) becomes the gospel truth, and the cars gain popularity.

Therefore, why not tell people what it really is, and what it really can do? Like I said, make new Pontiac fans, spread the word.

If nothing else, in your case, you could go from being ignored (or even looked down on) for what you own, to being somewhat awed for the beast you posess. Instead of "look at that idiot in that worthless American heap", it could be "Damn! Check out that Formula! That thing is a beast. Lucky bastard.".

Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

my funniest one yet is when i said i had a formula they were like what ?! you got a formula one car like on tv? im like what? hes like an indy race car?! im like noooooooo a formula firebird... he still didnt get it.. so im just like its a trans am damnit lol
Old 06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
Staging Lane

I do that because not all stupid kids must know what it really is. i can better show them when the situation comes how slow such a car is When i notice somebody is realy interrested in this car than i tell them the true specs of course
Old 06-13-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 98 Formula
I do that because not all stupid kids must know what it really is. i can better show them when the situation comes how slow such a car is When i notice somebody is realy interrested in this car than i tell them the true specs of course
Well don't over inflate the weight. The V6 car will weight a few lbs less due to the motor, and they still only clock in around 3600lbs (1633kg). It'll say on the driver side door sticker.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well don't over inflate the weight. The V6 car will weight a few lbs less due to the motor, and they still only clock in around 3600lbs (1633kg). It'll say on the driver side door sticker.
WS6 Trans Ams weigh about 3500lbs (rounding up slightly), so it would seem impossible for a Firebird to weigh more. Especially if the V6 engine weighs less (though at 500lbs fully dressed, the LS1 isn't exactly what you would call "heavy" either, it's around the same weight as my buddies ironblock I4 in his S14 Silvia).
Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I rounded up as well with fuel and driver.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:04 AM
Launching!

stupid people call my WS6 a Camaro all the time lol.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by T-hawk
You think its hard to explain Formula! Try explaining a Formula Firehawk LOL.

"... a Firewhat?" is usually the response when I actually call it a Firehawk... and that's around 'car people'.

For people who don't know, I generally just tell them I have a Firebird and leave it at that. Who cares if they know what I have?

Feel your pain, how about a formula ws6

sucks, i just say i have a Trans am
Old 06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by suprabo
Feel your pain, how about a formula ws6

sucks, i just say i have a Trans am
While I don't condone Windshield banners, I think you need one that says FORMULA

Formula is the older Brother to Trans AM. The T/A has all the performance of it's big Brother, but feels he has to stand out to be noticed over him. So he has a different front and rear end, and jacked up his spoiler some more Sadly, his "Attention *****" tactics worked, and his older Brother gets over looked and thought of as his 2 younger Brothers, T/A and V6
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

While I don't condone Windshield banners, I think you need one that says FORMULA

Formula is the older Brother to Trans AM. The T/A has all the performance of it's big Brother, but feels he has to stand out to be noticed over him. So he has a different front and rear end, and jacked up his spoiler some more Sadly, his "Attention *****" tactics worked, and his older Brother gets over looked and thought of as his 2 younger Brothers, T/A and V6
The Formula didn't come about until the 2nd Gen, the Trans Am started in the 1st Gen.

Though the sibling metaphor is a great one. It's why the Trans Am displays the Phoenix - to show it's *relation* to the Firebirds, even though it's actually differnet.

Quick Reply: Formula owners: Ever get tired of having to explain what a Formula is?