Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Ethics on WS6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put blk/silver SS badges on my black '02 Z28. I never told anybody it was a SS but I just liked the badges b/c they matched my silver Z06 wheels. The dealership wrote it down as a SS when I traded it in, I don't know if it helped me get my asking price but I'm sure it didn't hurt.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I think it looks much damn cooler too.. The badge helps the rear-end
Old 10-25-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, WS7 is a now unused GM option code for 4-wheel disc brakes. Since GM no longer has cars with drum brakes and discs are standard, the option code was dropped decades ago.

So, If you have disc brakes then you can call your car a WS7.

I was one of the first guys to use the WS7 badge. Back in 99 it was only made by Suncoast Creations as an add on to the Ram Air style hood they produced. When I got the hood I got the badge too cause there was no way I was going to label my car as a WS6. So I decided that, for me, the WS7 code would signify the "Bandit" edition that I made. It was cool and got a lot of attention but I always told anyone who asked what it was...just an aftermarket badge.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

There is nothing wrong with having the WS6 badge, as long as you don't sell the car as being a WS6. That's when it becomes wrong.

In the end it's all about the real WS6 guys wanting there to be as few WS6's so they get as much for them as the can down the road. This reason has been admitted a few hundred times already. Performance wise there really isn't any noticeable performance difference between a non-WS6 car with WS6 stuff compared to a WS6. Yes it's wrong when a dealer sells a non WS6 or non SS as a real one of either of those. I would be pissed if I bought one thinking it was a real WS6. But that would also be part my stupidity for not paying attention to the RPO codes and little things like exhaust tips, and maybe the Ram-Air Airbox sticker. In reality back in 2001 I added just the Hood, Wheels, Airbox and Ram Air Air Box sticker without the WS6 badge to my Formula and I still felt just as good as if I would've had a real WS6 and like I still felt like my car was more special than the WS6 Trans Am. Because while you always saw a WS6 Trans Am but you never saw a Ram Air WS6-like Formula. Yeah I now have a WS6 badge but until someone can produce an exact 30th Anniv. Bue colored WS7 badge the of the same exact quality and finish of the WS6 badge. I'll roll with the 30th WS6 badge.

Enjoy your car for today, drive it. Because there is no guarantees that you'll even be here tomorrow much less 30 years from now when the real WS6's, and SS's actually become worth something more special than a regular Trans Am or Z28.

In the end all of these cars are equal, non WS6, WS6 clone, WS6, Firehawk, Firehawk clone. One is no less then the other all of them are just as cool. Yeah a Firehawk might make you turn your head a little extra just because you don't see them often.

Flame away if you want because this topic wouldn't be a WS6 clone vs. WS6 thread without it.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 539 Likes on 386 Posts

Not a good idea, but it is your car so do want you want. You know some day down the road it will be sold incorrectly as a WS6. No doubt about it, just like all the 60's Camaros and Chevelles that have fake SS emblems. If you go to car shows much you see dozens and dozens of SS cars yet probably half (if not more) are fake and sold as SS cars. Clone cars are bad for the car hobby in the long run. It seems to get accepted though as buyers pay HUGE $$ for clone cars, even at Barrett Jackson auctions. I would never buy a clone. To each his own.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:59 PM
Launching!

In my opinion it isn't right to badge it a WS6. If it didn't have the package originally, it isn't a true WS6 car. Take pride in your bird the way it is.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My friend I bought my 85 off of found the RPO sheet, and my TA's not a WS6, but it has the performance suspension. Therefore, I'm not gonna slap a WS6 badge anymore.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 PM
Launching!

Some kid pissed me off when he said nice TA is it a WS6. I said no. He goes well is it a 6 spd, and I said no its an A4...he said MEh, its still and allright car.
Old 10-27-2007, 02:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TransAm578
In my opinion it isn't right to badge it a WS6. If it didn't have the package originally, it isn't a true WS6 car. Take pride in your bird the way it is.
none of them were ws6 cars from the factory, they were converted at ASC or whatever, so whats the diff if they add all the **** on after the fact or if you or I add it on? Doesn't matter! These cars will never be in any kind of Barret Jackson Auction especially if they are driven regularily. My car will see a scrap yard or a milllion miles before it ever has any kind of collector car status.

Like it has been said before, as long as it is not SOLD as a WS6 car then who cares...
Old 10-27-2007, 06:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RamjamWS6
You guys have people that actually ask if its a WS6?!?!?! hell all I hear around here is...

"DAT THANG A RAM AIR!?!??!"

I get that too. I always reply with don't waste your time its a six cylinder and point to my single exit exhaust (mufflex 4") lol. It's amazing at how many people fall for that.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 234 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by KyleLs1
none of them were ws6 cars from the factory, they were converted at ASC or whatever, so whats the diff if they add all the **** on after the fact or if you or I add it on? Doesn't matter!
Wrong. ASC was subcontracted by GM to perform part of the FACTORY assembly process. Before they even left the plant to go to ASC, all suspension upgrades (pre 11/00) and 17" rims and WS6 exhaust, PS coolers etc. were already installed on the cars. All the cars were routed to/from ASC from the St. Therese plant for installation of the hood, badge and raised airbox. GM put the RPO code on the door for such fortunate cars. And when they left the factory, they were "WS6 cars". So the fact is, they all were "WS6 cars from the factory".

Check NADA for car values, WS6s are already valued higher than non-WS6 cars. So you don't have to wait for "Barrett Jackson" status for it to matter. Why do you think everyone wants to clone one?
Old 10-27-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Wrong. ASC was subcontracted by GM to perform part of the FACTORY assembly process. Before they even left the plant to go to ASC, all suspension upgrades (pre 11/00) and 17" rims and WS6 exhaust, PS coolers etc. were already installed on the cars.
regardless, they didn't come out of the factory looking the way they did.

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Why do you think everyone wants to clone one?
because they look better... no other reason. The hood is freakin bad looking, and a ws6 car just looks better plain and simple. These cars are worth less and less everyday, and they aren't going to get any more valuable in the next 3 or 4 decades at least.

Sure when im going thru my midlife crisis and i'm looking for that perfect low mile ws6 car that someone has kept in a bubble for 30 years then yeah... the ws6 code on the door will mean something. Until then... **** it.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KyleLs1
These cars are worth less and less everyday, and they aren't going to get any more valuable in the next 3 or 4 decades at least.

um.......no........have you noticed the prices of 3rd gens lately? you used to be able to pick them up dirt cheap.....now, theyre going up and up. ask anyone on the board. 3rd gens are around 15-20yrs old now. my 02 TA is already 7yrs old. these cars ARE going up in value, and ill be ******* damned if youll be able to pick up any kind of decent condition LS1 in 3 or 4 decades for under 20-30K.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
um.......no........have you noticed the prices of 3rd gens lately? you used to be able to pick them up dirt cheap.....now, theyre going up and up. ask anyone on the board. 3rd gens are around 15-20yrs old now. my 02 TA is already 7yrs old. these cars ARE going up in value, and ill be ******* damned if youll be able to pick up any kind of decent condition LS1 in 3 or 4 decades for under 20-30K.
Knowing from when I was trying to help someone locate a third gen earlier this year. I couldn't believe what people were selling ones in good shape for. You used to be abole to pick a third gen up for maybe somewhere around $4,000 now they're going for probably around $6,500 or more it seems.

The 4th gens all depend on the mileage right now. Whether it's a WS6 or non WS6 both with very low mileage are selling for $20-$23k and yes the WS6's are selling for a couple thousand more just as they orginally did. However I'm sure some of the WS6's being sold for more are not the WS6's with the RPO Code. What's helping the low mileaged car's value is the fact they aren't being made anymore.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

If I had a Mustang with the stuff on it a Cobra does....I STILL WOULD NOT CALL IT A COBRA...So, no.. [I know..apples to oranges..blah.blah.]
Old 11-01-2007, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
See, thats ****** ridiculous! When I sold my 480 HP 87 T/A, I was askin for around $5,000 seeing all the engine and susp. work that I did and weighing the age and mileage of the overall car, but NOBODY wanted it for that much! Dealerships kept lowballing me as well as private sales! Long story short, I ended up selling the car to some 18 yo kid for about $2,200!

Such a shame! but that's the way it goes.

My motto is: "Cars are meant to be driven, not housed in a bubble to just look at! If you want something to look at and appreciate, buy some ****** art!"

Just MHO
Old 11-01-2007, 09:29 PM
TECH Addict

im talking about stock, original cars. if you start modifying a car, youre going to get less then the sum of the parts put into it. its always like that, unless youre an actual speed shop (cartek, SLP, etc). i drive my car and enjoy it. i race it also, autoxing. its not in a bubble. but do i abuse and beat it......no. of course not. some people wonder why i have a car like that and not drive it everyday? because i CAN. thats why.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by TransAm578
Now there you go! That's the voice of reason, listen to it. Could not have said it better in less words.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Regular

Not trying to **** anybody off or anything, nor am I directing any anger towards you, I was just venting my frustrations about that. I do think it is bullshit that our cars don't deserve a higher value, because we mod it and or improve it! And the bubble quote, was for all those people who Never drive their f-body, keeping it in a "Temperature Controlled" "bubble" because they dream of never getting a spec of dirt on them and disparately trying to maintain the value of the car!

Trust me, I have actually met people who buy a car, and they never touch it nor drive it but 2 times a year! To me, IMO is just plain ******* Wrong! My T/A is my DD and I drive her in rain, snow, and everything in between. Though I limit it during snow only to "last resort" efforts. I take care of my car, and I always get compliments, sometimes just going to the store.

No offense to anyone, just venting and IMO.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
The 4th gens all depend on the mileage right now. Whether it's a WS6 or non WS6 both with very low mileage are selling for $20-$23k and yes the WS6's are selling for a couple thousand more just as they orginally did.
well just to throw this out...two weeks ago i purchased an 02 WS6. 41,500 miles, completely stock, perfect condition in and out. $16,995.

Quick Reply: Ethics on WS6?