Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Under the Hood With Knight Rider 2.0: Trans Am vs. Ford Mustang [Popular Mechanics]

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea... I'm boycotting this new Knight Rider show

Not like that Mustang isn't a nice car or anything... it is... it's just that it doesn't belong on that show. I don't know about most people, but when I think 'Knight Rider', I think black Trans Am.... it's just [I]supposed[I] to be a black Trans Am! It's like airing a new Batman show, for example, and having Superman as the star of the show... it's not like Superman is a crappy character, it's just that it's not his show... see what I'm saying (or is that a bad example? lol)

Last edited by Formula_X; 02-20-2008 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

na.... that isn't a bad example at all.

I do wish they would have at least used a vette. It at least is close to the look of a Trans Am.

I also didn't care for the morph or nanite technology. Those were used in the VIPER series. KITT was suppose to be nearly indestructible.... computer on or off!!!!!!!!!!

And what the hell happen to those "turbo boost" jumps?????????????????
Old 02-21-2008, 09:16 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

A clever eye caught an LS1 intake in the movie......

https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-lsx-automobile-discussion/868640-ls-1-original-kitt.html

Old 02-22-2008, 11:48 PM
Staging Lane

now come on lets be civil the only reason kitt isnt a t/a is cause ford (found on road dead) is payin big money and personally i was very disappointed. i think it was very misplaced this whole famed 500 hp horsey would out run that freakin edge and all its 1** hp (if that) in a heart beat and anyone who knows what a spark plug is would agree and does anyone kno if it was just a movie or its gonna be a series? cause frankly i see enough of ford and all there commercials now there taken up prime time tv lol what happened?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:27 PM
Launching!

The Mustang had an LSx swap, lol. That's the only reason it kicked any ***
Old 03-18-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I still refuse to watch the show, for now. If the new Camaro happens to spawn a new Trans Am (unlikely), then the show could somehow destroy the Ford and then use the new TA as KITT. If that were to happen, I might give the show a chance.

I agree that the Mustang is a nice car, but can't live up to KITT status.
Old 04-19-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well here's the thing with this...its all about who will pay more money to advertise their car....obviously GM doesnt really have anything to compare to the 500KR....maybe the vette. Yeah the G8 is ok...but come on guys its a RWD sedan. I was severely disappointed that they led this on to be a series and it was a dumb movie. But hey you gotta admit...the KR is BADASS.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BadTA13
I was severely disappointed that they led this on to be a series and it was a dumb movie.
And there I was wondering WHAT happen???? Be fine with me it stayed that way..... Mustang issues aside... it simply didn't live up to the old Knight Rider series.

I remember when original Knight Rider aired.... seemed like EVERYONE was talking about it....... seemed like NO ONE was talking about this.

Looks like this is going to be just another failed attempt to re-vitalize the Knight Rider series, like Knight Rider 2000.

I think their best shot at a Knight Rider anything was the movie that was in development by Revolution Studios... but that seems to be axed at this point.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Teching In

In Transformers, wasn't Bumble Bee a VW beetle? But in the movie it was Camaro. I wonder if the VW forum guys are pissed about that saying "IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE A BUG!!" Also, anyone remember when they made KITT a 57 Chevy? Powder Blue one I believe. That was worse than the Cobra. The red 93-97 body style Formula they used later on was better, but still didn't look quite right. Maybe the studio should have left Knight Rider back with my hair style...in the 80's.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by P_funk22
The red 93-97 body style Formula they used later on was better, but still didn't look quite right.
The red car you reference was actually a modified Dodge Stealth made to resemable the Pontiac Banshee. That made for TV movie was made in 1990 and the 4th gen Firebird had not been released at that time.

Knight Industries Four Thousand: KIFT

Pontiac Banshee

The Banshee concept shared a lot of styling cues from with the 4th gen Firebird. Given the Dodge Stealth was modified to resemble the Banshee there is little wonder a LOT of people get them confused.

I read somewhere that they wanted to use the Banshee in the TV movie and GM said NO!!!!!! Probably because they didn't want the car cut up to put in the KITT scanner.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:05 PM
11 Second Club

That mustang looks like ***. And not a good looking ***.
Old 09-18-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well.... for anyone who did like the new Knight Rider program.... it will be on Wednesday September 24th at 8PM.

(Frankly.... I didn't like it )
Old 09-25-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

series sucks. anyone remember VIPER the series? they combined this show with it... I can understand transforming...but from a mustang to like a f-550... i mean wtf
Old 09-25-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

I grew up on the old Knight Rider.. The problem with the new series is they took out the heart of what made Knight Rider good.. They made it because Ford payed them to make it and show case their chit.. The KR has no real personality. When Knight Rider 1st came out we knew nothing about the car. The mystery was the huge draw of the show..It was mostly realistic,some not..But this new show is so over the top they are going to lose their audience quick..The 1st show lost me when KITT got super pursuit mode with all the wings coming out of it and then it was a convertible..C'mon,who is the dumba** that writes that crap? He should be fired.. If they would have had a decent story and grounded the car it could have went somewhere..When I saw it change into attack mode ,I sighed and thought they ruined it..Then when it changed to an F-150, My heart literally sunk..I'll give it 2 more shows ,unless the next one is unbearable.. Half of us could have done a better job.. I hate for even more now for ruining one of my fav shows!!
Old 10-08-2008, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Personally I think that if they had to use a new car (which they didn't the 02 TA would have worked fine) that they should have used the 2010 camaro, that would have been closer than using the POS that they are using!

Quick Reply: Under the Hood With Knight Rider 2.0: Trans Am vs. Ford Mustang [Popular Mechanics]