Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

research paper - firebird

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default research paper - firebird

so, had to write a research paper and decided to go with the bird as my topic. it was actually really cool to write. look over it and tell me what you guys think or anything i can add/take away.

From the early days of the muscle car era to the streets of the modern day, the Firebird has held the crown for perhaps the greatest muscle car built. Through the times, style and performance have remained within the Firebird’s grasp. Even when this legend has faded, the legacy lives strong. The majesty of the Firebird is a true imperative component in the pony car world.
The Pontiac Firebird’s first generation was released five months after the Chevrolet Camaro. “This is pure American muscle-car at its finest” (Motor Trend). This extra time gave Pontiac the ability to give this beast a unique signature look, despite having to use Camaro chassis and other body parts. However, the Firebird's split front grille and beaked hood gave it a unique Pontiac appearance. Though parts were literally taken from off the Camaro, what gave the first Firebird its personality was beneath the hood. Pontiac built its own engines then, and only Pontiac engines went into the Firebird — not a one was shared with the Camaro. Initially, five different Firebirds were available named after their engine choices in V6 and V8. “$2,466 for a basic Camaro [engine] -- to what was then fairly pricey [and] $3,177 for a Firebird 400 [engine] with full options” (Marshall Schuon). In the first year of production, the hardtop coupe sold 67,032 cars and the convertible sold 15,526 cars. The Camaro outsold it two to one. But Pontiac's pony car had arrived with a bang; the Firebird turned heads and got people talking big time – “Firebird fans consider[ed] the coupes and convertibles to be as American as apple pie” (Marshall Schuon). Through the years, the Firebird went through many transformations. Added in 1969 was the Trans Am performance and appearance package; all Trans Ams were arctic white with blue racing stripes. Only 697 of these beauties were sold. “From the race series for which it's named to ‘Smokey and the Bandit,’ from Ram Air 400s to the new LS 1, for 30 years Pontiac's Firebird Trans Am has been at the pinnacle of performance and pop culture” (Scott Oldham)

The second generation Firebird saw the Camaro as a reflection. But nothing would rule the mid 1970s quite like the Firebird and the introduction of the Formula option. “Isn't this the greatest car?"(Wall Street Journal). However, 1972 was an almost life threatening year for the Firebird. GM executives considered dropping the Firebird altogether as sales fell drastically. The muscle car phase was collapsing, which was worsened by a crippling 174 day strike at the only plant that produced Firebirds in Canada. But Pontiac saved the bird and it continued with the introduction of the highly acclaimed honey-comb rims. In 1973, the Firebird introduced a phoenix "screaming chicken" decal on the Trans Am, which covered the entire hood. This added to the excitement and boost of sales to the Firebird; sales of the Firebird and Trans Am were up dramatically, ensuring their survival. In 1975, the Pontiac Firebird was all alone due to the Camaro Z28, Plymouth Barracuda, and Dodge Challenger all being discontinued; the Mustang was taking over, but the Firebird held strong. 1977 was the year of the Firebird as Burt Reynolds drove a black and gold Trans Am in the movie hit "Smokey and the Bandit"; this drove the Firebird's popularity (and sales) to new heights. “That stylized image made the Firebird particularly recognizable as the wild and gutsy car of the 1970's, helped in large measure in 1977 by the popular movie, ''Smokey and the Bandit” (Marshall Schuon). The public raved and the Trans Am’s name was set in stone as the performance car with 155,736 cars sold the first year.

The third generation of the Firebird was now even more like the Camaro; GM used Chevy engines instead of the previous Pontiac. But in 1982, the big news for Firebird fans was the debut of "Kitt" - a talking black Trans Am with David Hasselhoff on the hit TV show "Knight Rider". This on screen advertisement boosted the Firebird’s popularity despite the discontented changes. “The ‘driving excitement’ division of GM continues to dial up the visual excitement” (Dunne Jim).

Of course, the best is always saved for last and the fourth generation Firebird is no exception. These Firebirds would be the fastest and most powerful Firebirds since the model's first introduction. “IT'S THE essence of tumescence, a car designed in a high-school boys' locker room. It's so self-consciously virile, it calls attention to itself wherever it goes. It's a rock video on wheels, provocative to the max, bound to raise eyebrows among the self- anointed saints of social consciousness, certain to excite the libidos of adolescents aged 15 to 50” (Warren Brown, The Bird is the Word). Pontiac reintroduced the legendary Ram Air induction intake setup in 1996 and the WS6 package in 1997 – available on the Trans Am and Formula. The LT-1 engine used in 1993 was now replaced by the powerful LS-1 engine in 1998. “Adding power has been the traditional prescription for pony car updates ever since the breed evolved in the mid1960s, and that's precisely what the Pontiac Firebird Trans Am brings to the party for 1998” (Tony Swan). Some say the birds of 1998 - 2002 were the most menacing f – bodies made in the market; these Firebirds seemed to devour other cars alive. “…a 320-horsepower, 5.7-liter SFI V-8, which growled at idle and roared at speed… far more sexy” (Warren Brown, Aging Beast). The decline in the sports car market and the changing taste of young performance buyers to imports sealed the Firebird's fate. 2002, the 35th anniversary of the Firebird, would prove to be the last year for the Firebird, as well as the Camaro – “[t]uesday, Aug. 27, was the final production day for both nameplates at General Motors… GM built 4,775,208 Camaros and 2,619,816 Firebirds.” (Debi Domby). It was the last year for the beautiful Firebird; however, “Pontiac, meanwhile, says it too is "looking at possibilities" for a next generation Firebird” (Rick Kranz).
From the beginning days of this prodigy, car buyers everywhere distinguished that the Firebird was a key element in the pony car world. Even to this day, F-body enthusiasts over the world rave over the Firebird’s splendor. Perhaps a new Firebird shall become a part of the muscle car world once again. There are rumors that this is true as the Firebird’s sister car – the Camaro – rejoins the line up in 2010. There is no true pony car world without the magnificence of the Firebird

Last edited by Lady_Bird; 01-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice A+, now do a power point prensentation or Slide show for the class to show all the years. not sure if your paper needs to be a certain length but if you need more text then add in comparions to how competitors like Mustang was doing during the times
Old 01-17-2008, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 7901 WS6
Nice A+, now do a power point prensentation or Slide show for the class to show all the years. not sure if your paper needs to be a certain length but if you need more text then add in comparions to how competitors like Mustang was doing during the times
dont need power points though.
and i was planning on doing that too with the mustang. i only mentioned it once when the other muscle cars were fading. that would be good to add more.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Out of curiosity, what grade are you in?

The paper looks good, a few minor grammatical errors here and there, but no biggie. Seems a bit short, but that's why I asked what grade you're in.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

I thought the WS6 package was introduced in 1985, not 1997.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

WS6 has been around since 2nd gens and 3rds as a suspension package, as performance 96 was the year. the teacher would no none the difference anyway
Old 01-17-2008, 07:15 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

For the third-gens, it was also mandated by the powers at be at GM that both the Camaro and Firebird share doors. They're identical to each other on the outside.
Old 01-17-2008, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would also like to know your age. Judging from the length of the "paper" I am going to guess that you are either a junior or a senior in highschool.

No offense intended, but you suck at plagiarizing. Also don't use big words if you don't know how to use them in a sentence. It makes you sound like Mike Tyson trying to seem smart.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

no, im not an ignorant high schooler under mommy and daddys watch. im a freshman at towson university and im taking a minimester session at the local community college before i go back to get more of my credits out of the way.
and i do know what "big words" i was using thank you very much and they fit perfectly well with the context. im an english major. i cant help it if im not dense like some people and i actually know what the words mean.
and i know there were a few grammatical errors because that was my rough draft with no revision. i literallly just posted it up here when i was done. and i definitely didnt plagarize. wtf? im not going to quote every single detail about engines and makes thats common sense. were not allowed to just use "www" sources; they have to be through the library database and all of those i cited.
and yea, the ws6 was offered before then, but it wasnt really significant in that part so i figured id save it for a different generation. i think i said "reintroduced" as well in there when i mentioned it

Last edited by Lady_Bird; 01-17-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is it that you don't want to know what we think? or do you just want to hear that its good and get a pat on the head?

BTW earn your degree first then try and throw your weight around.
Sorry I am not impressed.

You asked for it....
Old 01-18-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

it's a good start, seams like for a college paper it should be about 2+pages, if that's true, you could get more in depth with each generation and the bigger changes from year to year. just a suggestion. there are some websites that have the history time line of the firebird. they only made about 5050 Firehawks in a 10year spand , 164 Comp T/A's ('95-97'), the Black Birds, the CETA's & and what ever other specialty birds that are out there. them are some rare birds! good luck on the paper
Old 01-18-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

You go to Towson State? That's where I went when i lived in Maryland, I lived in Hunt Valley. I read your paper and to be honest with you it's not bad but your just spewing numbers, there's no meat to the work. What made the bird so special? There are plenty of numbers in your work but nothing of you.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
You go to Towson State? That's where I went when i lived in Maryland, I lived in Hunt Valley. I read your paper and to be honest with you it's not bad but your just spewing numbers, there's no meat to the work. What made the bird so special? There are plenty of numbers in your work but nothing of you.
i read it over and that was exactly what i thought. i wrote 2 more drafts of editing and took out some blah numbers (because the word limit was 1200) and added in some of my own opinions and aspects.
its cool you went to towson. im trying to transfer myself actually. lol.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hawk584
it's a good start, seams like for a college paper it should be about 2+pages, if that's true, you could get more in depth with each generation and the bigger changes from year to year. just a suggestion. there are some websites that have the history time line of the firebird. they only made about 5050 Firehawks in a 10year spand , 164 Comp T/A's ('95-97'), the Black Birds, the CETA's & and what ever other specialty birds that are out there. them are some rare birds! good luck on the paper
i was definitely going to touch on the blackbird... but its so hard to cover everything with such a measley word limit! i hate it. at least at towson we dont have word limits. damn community colleges. lol.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Restricted User

Thats some good work...I like it....and not to mention giving the Bird some credit!!!

+1

Quick Reply: research paper - firebird