Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

how to spot a fake WS6

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeke34
Get the entire vin# and pm 01WS6_4_Me to get the ASC conversion date and number of the car.
This is the only 100% for sure way. The RPO would tell you aswell, but some people would simply pull the sticker off, or even worse, photoshop it! It's amazing what people will do for an extra $2k when selling a car.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FirebirdPhil
If you can only look via pictures then check for the WS.6 badge below the passenger tail light (if I'm not mistaken since I don't own such a beauty). Most people who knock off the WS.6 TAs only get the hood I've noticed, no badges.
badges cost $130+, thats why ppl tend to not put them on. check the rpo sticker on the driver door, and make sure the vin matches the one on the window.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrewSG
The only 100% foolproof way to check the check the drivers side door for the "WS6" RPO code.
Actually, someone can remove the door and replace from a real wrecked WS6. And, I've heard of people faking the sticker.

The only real way to tell is to run the VIN.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:01 PM
Teching In

I specially ordered my ride without the WS6 package because it was a $4000 option. The WS6 consisted of an upgraded suspension, 17x9 polished wheels, and the Ram air hood. Lets see I spent 500.00 on my upgraded suspension total and 800 on a fully functional painted ram air hood with the box. My american Rogue Rims with BFG Gforce tires 1200.00. Minus the tires I got a lot more for my money in after market then splurging for the option when I had the chance. The WS6 has a better resale and is valued more thats the only downside. But I also have one out of 200 hardtop Firebirds built the final year you can even get it 2001. So dont count out the rare regular birds lol. One thing I will never do is pass off my ride as a WS6.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Firebirdcrazy
I specially ordered my ride without the WS6 package because it was a $4000 option. The WS6 consisted of an upgraded suspension, 17x9 polished wheels, and the Ram air hood. Lets see I spent 500.00 on my upgraded suspension total and 800 on a fully functional painted ram air hood with the box. My american Rogue Rims with BFG Gforce tires 1200.00. Minus the tires I got a lot more for my money in after market then splurging for the option when I had the chance. The WS6 has a better resale and is valued more thats the only downside. But I also have one out of 200 hardtop Firebirds built the final year you can even get it 2001. So dont count out the rare regular birds lol. One thing I will never do is pass off my ride as a WS6.
That's the route I would have gone!

Also, are you saying that they didn't make hardtops in 2002?
Old 04-02-2008, 09:55 AM
Teching In

In 2002 t-tops (option code CC1) were standard on all V8 Firebirds. The Trans Am had them as part of its standard content since 1998, but it wasn't until the last year of production that they became mandatory for the Formula.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Firebirdcrazy
Some people just want the real thing, not some clone. Not hating, but I would much rather have my ws6 than yours (itregardless of performance modifications) even if it is a little more expensive. Also, if you do go get all the GM stuff, hood, wheels, badges ext. it will cost you quite a bit.

Does anyone know how much the Ws6 option affects the resale value? I know that the $4 grand intial sale disparity is substantialy reduced, so it may be that you can get a similar mileage/conditioned ws6 for $1200-$1500 more than the reg. TA.
Old 04-05-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by FirebirdPhil
If you can only look via pictures then check for the WS.6 badge below the passenger tail light (if I'm not mistaken since I don't own such a beauty). Most people who knock off the WS.6 TAs only get the hood I've noticed, no badges.
i got the badge lol!
Old 04-07-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yeller_xtc
i got the badge lol!
me too!.. and IMO a nicer hood and wheels.

if i bought the car new, i would have gone with the WS6 for sure... but being used, no 2 cars are alike, and i wanted the nicest one... it ended up not being a Ws6.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
Does anyone know how much the Ws6 option affects the resale value? I know that the $4 grand intial sale disparity is substantialy reduced, so it may be that you can get a similar mileage/conditioned ws6 for $1200-$1500 more than the reg. TA.
it depends on the car... i mean in my case, i looked at cheaper WS6 cars but did not buy them.

i wanted the cleanest car... the badge did not weigh into my decision.

i would say that on an average, the WS6 might add 1000-1500 on the cars over 12k, and not too much at all on the cars less than 12k in price.

KBB can tell you exactly, but then again, we all know how "accurate" they are.

it's not like haveing an SS camaro.. that's a totally different game.
Old 04-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WS6Formula99
In 2002 t-tops (option code CC1) were standard on all V8 Firebirds. The Trans Am had them as part of its standard content since 1998, but it wasn't until the last year of production that they became mandatory for the Formula.
You are absolutely correct and thats why my car is considered a rarity.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

For what it's worth...

I look at the WS6 and Formula and T/As alot on Ebay and Craigslist and what I'm seeing as the single most important factor of a car's price is...the mileage.

Is it because these cars are no longer made? I dunno.

I see them in the high teens and up into the mid 20Ks still and the common denominator is low miles.
A WS6 nomiker on a clean low miled car seems to really help but on a high-mileage beater the WS6 isnt gonna mean squat...at least for a few more decades(maybe)

I routinely see muscle car shells that you couldnt get $500 for awhile back now getting 12k or more. It's rediculous.

Basically, get the cleanest, low miled F-body you can afford. But all things being equal(or even close) a Firehawk trumps a WS6, which trumps a reg T/A, which trumps a reg Formula, etc, etc.
Thats why they come from the lot priced differently. And that "worth" generally carries down thru the years.

Last edited by UsualSuspect; 04-07-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 03:31 PM
On The Tree

I seen a guy go as far as putting "RAM AIR H.O" on the back bumper where the WS6 badge goes. I pulled up beside him in my WS6 and tried to compliment him on a clean car, I said "that's a nice Trans Am". He quickly responded that it wasn't an ordinary trans am it was a WS6. I politely tried to correct him then he got all pissy about it saying mine was a clone. After proving him wrong with the RPO code on the door, he got in his car and stormed off. If it is a Trans Am than it is what it is, I like every F-body the same as the other, but the extent some people go to to make it into something else is ridiculous sometimes. Especially to act ******* retarded over it. LOL
Old 04-15-2008, 05:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BadGTho

i wanted the cleanest car... the badge did not weigh into my decision

That's what sold me when I bought mine. Condition, both mechanical and appearance.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 02WS6_TA
I seen a guy go as far as putting "RAM AIR H.O" on the back bumper where the WS6 badge goes. I pulled up beside him in my WS6 and tried to compliment him on a clean car, I said "that's a nice Trans Am". He quickly responded that it wasn't an ordinary trans am it was a WS6. I politely tried to correct him then he got all pissy about it saying mine was a clone. After proving him wrong with the RPO code on the door, he got in his car and stormed off. If it is a Trans Am than it is what it is, I like every F-body the same as the other, but the extent some people go to to make it into something else is ridiculous sometimes. Especially to act ******* retarded over it. LOL
that's about as retarded as an internet fight.

Quick Reply: how to spot a fake WS6