Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015 | 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

Default Audio Options

Anyone have any info on the audio options for the 4th gens?
My question springs from looking on Crutchfield for radios and speakers, and it asked what speaker option it had. I've done a little research and know there was obviously cassette, cd and even a trunk mounted changer. I've also seen different door panels as far as the speakers are concerned. One of them has the two speakers, a smaller and large speaker, and the other is a flatter one which looks like it only has one speaker. I'm not really concerned with possible differences in the first and second half of the 4th gen options. I mainly just like to know which trim/options had the best setup and what it is. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, thanks for any help
Old 02-23-2015 | 06:37 PM

I know this is off topic but my 1996 formula has the ws9 ws6 and w66 rpo codes, is this a dead giveaway that it's a real one?
Old 02-23-2015 | 06:39 PM

It's a black auto with leather graphite interior, ram air hood and raised intake, but the hood isn't opened that I can see
Old 02-26-2015 | 11:54 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Ws6 formula 96
It's a black auto with leather graphite interior, ram air hood and raised intake, but the hood isn't opened that I can see
Originally Posted by Ws6 formula 96
I know this is off topic but my 1996 formula has the ws9 ws6 and w66 rpo codes, is this a dead giveaway that it's a real one?
WS9 means it has a V8, W66 means its a Formula, and WS6 means it has the WS6 Performance option (upgraded suspension / 17x9 wheels / exhaust / ram-air hood). YES, it is a legit WS6 Formula.

Not sure what you mean by the hood not being "opened", however I'm not that familiar w/ the LT1 WS6 hoods.
Old 02-26-2015 | 11:57 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by chaney1974
Does anyone have any info on how many were produced in this color? I bought this car last fall its only got 87,000 miles and is a M6 car.
It'd help alot if you specified what year car you have. However, if you've already reviewed the breakdowns (links in my sig), you've probably figured that out yourself.
Old 02-26-2015 | 12:01 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by BCaywood
Anyone have any info on the audio options for the 4th gens?
My question springs from looking on Crutchfield for radios and speakers, and it asked what speaker option it had. I've done a little research and know there was obviously cassette, cd and even a trunk mounted changer. I've also seen different door panels as far as the speakers are concerned. One of them has the two speakers, a smaller and large speaker, and the other is a flatter one which looks like it only has one speaker. I'm not really concerned with possible differences in the first and second half of the 4th gen options. I mainly just like to know which trim/options had the best setup and what it is. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, thanks for any help
The RPO decal on your door / glove box will tell you what the original sound system in your car is. As far as breaking it down to the specific components that were included, you probably need a service / chassis manual for your car. However, back in '95 I believe all f-body sound systems were self-contained (no remote amps like the Monsoon systems that came in later years) w/ everything in the HU and simple wiring going out to all 4 or more speakers which probably had passive x-overs IF they even had tweeters.

Recommend that you post your question on the proper section of this forum (stereos & electronics), rather than in a production #s thread.
Old 03-17-2015 | 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Anyone have any idea how many silver hard top Formula's were built in '99? I found reference to 1602 total Formula's (incl WS6), 449 of 1602 being hard top and 93 of 1602 being silver...but no idea how many were both hard top and silver.
Old 04-13-2015 | 08:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone happen to know the breakdown for a navy blue metallic 6 speed 1999 formula with ttops? I feel like it's got to be pretty rare.
Old 04-16-2015 | 04:20 PM
Teching In

I bought a 99 formula last year with a ram air hood and slp badges. I didnt look much into it because it was my first one and it was a good deal so i didnt care much then. But now id like to try and learn some more about it. Did the formula ever come with the slp package? I now know its not a ws6 formula after running the rpo codes. Does anyon have the answer to this?
Old 04-24-2015 | 04:32 PM
Teching In

I recently purchase 1995 Hawk #640, and according to SLP records they only built 671 in 95. Now I've been doing a little research trying to find out how many might be exactly the same as mine, and I've found some inconsistencies! I found a car numbered 673 on the official Firehawk Owners site, which says it has a valid VIN#. Then I find Johnny B's spread sheet over on T/A World, which says 609 coupes and 103 convertibles (712)? What gives here, I'm a little confused by all of this! I could see SLP skipping a few #s which would explain car #673, but they definitely say they built 671 cars, not 712!
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:33 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Poppster
I bought a 99 formula last year with a ram air hood and slp badges. I didnt look much into it because it was my first one and it was a good deal so i didnt care much then. But now id like to try and learn some more about it. Did the formula ever come with the slp package? I now know its not a ws6 formula after running the rpo codes. Does anyon have the answer to this?
The only Firebirds SLP touched after 1997 were the Firehawks, and I believe they had some dress-up package for the V6 birds for a while. But a '99 Formula? No.
Old 04-30-2015 | 11:45 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hawk 640
I recently purchase 1995 Hawk #640, and according to SLP records they only built 671 in 95. Now I've been doing a little research trying to find out how many might be exactly the same as mine, and I've found some inconsistencies! I found a car numbered 673 on the official Firehawk Owners site, which says it has a valid VIN#. Then I find Johnny B's spread sheet over on T/A World, which says 609 coupes and 103 convertibles (712)? What gives here, I'm a little confused by all of this! I could see SLP skipping a few #s which would explain car #673, but they definitely say they built 671 cars, not 712!
Most likely the 671# quoted by SLP does not include those destined for export. Note that close to the top of my list is RPO CW7 (Virgin Island export) and there were 39 cars w/ RPOs R6V & CW7 (Firehawks) built that year. 712 - 39 = 673. There may have been 2 other cars exported to some other country that had a different export RPO that I didn't catch, which would explain the discrepancy between 673 and 671.
Old 04-30-2015 | 05:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
Most likely the 671# quoted by SLP does not include those destined for export. Note that close to the top of my list is RPO CW7 (Virgin Island export) and there were 39 cars w/ RPOs R6V & CW7 (Firehawks) built that year. 712 - 39 = 673. There may have been 2 other cars exported to some other country that had a different export RPO that I didn't catch, which would explain the discrepancy between 673 and 671.
Thanks Johnny B for clarifying that for me, I did not catch the export number, as I just assumed all cars were numbered sequentially regardless of where they were headed to be sold. Also, do you know of a way to try to determine how many cars were built exactly the same as mine? I've tried emailing slp, but have never heard back from them, also the compnine site only gave me the rpo's that I already have and broke down the production #s of cars, but not on Hawks themselves. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-01-2015 | 08:09 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Hawk 640
Thanks Johnny B for clarifying that for me, I did not catch the export number, as I just assumed all cars were numbered sequentially regardless of where they were headed to be sold. Also, do you know of a way to try to determine how many cars were built exactly the same as mine? I've tried emailing slp, but have never heard back from them, also the compnine site only gave me the rpo's that I already have and broke down the production #s of cars, but not on Hawks themselves. Thanks for your help.
CompNine's GUI used to allow you to select certain RPOs returned for your car to determine how many other cars of that same model year had the same RPOs as those selected. An even earlier version of their GUI allowed you to enter several RPOs for a given model year and it'd tell you how many cars produced had the same combination of those RPOs entered. This version is the one I used to generate my breakdowns. Its long been history and now CompNine wants to charge you to use their database, so I haven't bothered to pay to find out how their latest GUI works. It seems to be very VIN#-centric, and is probably not flexible like it used to be to allow you to just play w/ RPO codes.
Old 05-02-2015 | 11:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
CompNine's GUI used to allow you to select certain RPOs returned for your car to determine how many other cars of that same model year had the same RPOs as those selected. An even earlier version of their GUI allowed you to enter several RPOs for a given model year and it'd tell you how many cars produced had the same combination of those RPOs entered. This version is the one I used to generate my breakdowns. Its long been history and now CompNine wants to charge you to use their database, so I haven't bothered to pay to find out how their latest GUI works. It seems to be very VIN#-centric, and is probably not flexible like it used to be to allow you to just play w/ RPO codes.
Thanks for all the time it obviously took you to find all of this info for those of us who love these cars and want to know more about them, I'll keep trying to find more info for my particular car where ever I can. I paid for the compnine report, and can run 5 VINs, so maybe I can run some RPOs instead. Thanks again.
Old 05-07-2015 | 06:43 PM
Teching In

Default 96 trans am

I have a 96 Trans am, black, T-Tops, red leather from factory. Being told it rare, can you break it down for me?
Old 05-22-2015 | 02:18 PM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ebick
I have a 96 Trans am, black, T-Tops, red leather from factory. Being told it rare, can you break it down for me?
Unfortunately, the numbers I pulled from CompNine for the '96 breakdown differed significantly from numbers I have from other sources (poor correlation = can't trust them). But what I can tell you from CompNine's numbers are:

Total '96 T/A coupes built: 4775 (other source showed 7936, yeah, big discrepancy)
Of those 4775, 4036 had T-tops, 1390 were black, only 61 had red leather (1.3%).

So yeah, regardless of who's numbers you believe, the red leather is pretty rare.
Old 06-08-2015 | 03:16 PM
Teching In

Default How can I get the build # of my 99 WS6 1LE

I'd like to get the build number of my 1999 WS6 1LE Formula. Any info would be helpful.
Old 06-12-2015 | 11:29 AM
TECH Addict
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by ramairron
I'd like to get the build number of my 1999 WS6 1LE Formula. Any info would be helpful.
You might try emailing Marcus at ASC:

marcus.shelley@ascglobal.com

Considering only 20 1LE 'Birds were built in '99, PLEASE POST PICS!
Old 06-14-2015 | 01:43 PM

Default Firebird shifting problems

Ok so I have a 2002 firebird modded has not really gonna get into top end details but I had an over heating problem last night which is fixed but I went riding around with the crew last night wondering why my car wouldn't pick up in over drive well I popped the hood and found that the tps sensor was unhooked it ran like a pro but now I tried to flood itself out in overdrive or whenever I get the Rpms up to high it sputters and doesn't want to accelorate does anyone know as to what it might be or tricks I can go do fix it

Quick Reply: Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!