Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
About the only way I know of to determine option combinations like that is to use CompNine.com, look up your VIN, then filter the RPO options to only W68 and 81U. If their site still does it, it should tell you how many '97s had those two RPO codes.

Nice looking ride, BTW. Low miles?
Thank you for the compliment and for chiming in... I'll give it a go and see what comes out!
Old 02-07-2018, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Location: From Massapequa, New York / Now in Southern California
Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Instigator's97
Can you tell me how many 97 Bright Red convertibles with the w68 package were built? I know there were 253 produced, but how many were Red?[/i]
1997 Firebird Production Number Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1997-breakdown.htm

I just looked at the above website after I posted it, looks like it won't answer your question, sorry.

Last edited by 2000 WS6 Formula; 02-07-2018 at 12:24 PM. Reason: New info
Old 02-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2000 WS6 Formula
1997 Firebird Production Number Breakdown
http://transamworld.com/1997-breakdown.htm

I just looked at the above website after I posted it, looks like it won't answer your question, sorry.

Yeah, It gives me the already know number of 253 convertible W68's produced for 1997, but not the number of Brite Red ones. In 20 years I've owned It, I've only seen 3 other convertibles W68 but in different colors.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet. 1 of 11 for my car.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by hardtrailz
Sweet. 1 of 11 for my car.
Nice.... awesome find!
Old 09-29-2018, 01:12 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question on Firehawk production

[QUOTE=Chris2000Formula;207331]You've got to love Formulas. Anyone know where I can find the 2000 numbers? I know where to find 1998, 2001, and 2002 production numbers but I've never seen them for my year. I wonder how rare my 2000, black, hardtop, with 3.23's

Thank you for this valuable tool. I could have missed it but what category does the Firehawk fall under ? I have an A4 coupe, Artic White with a saddle color interior which I am told is quite rare.
Old 09-29-2018, 01:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is very rare, but is it saddle or camel?
Old 10-01-2018, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Redrokit8
Thank you for this valuable tool. I could have missed it but what category does the Firehawk fall under ? I have an A4 coupe, Artic White with a saddle color interior which I am told is quite rare.
Firehawks are included in my breakdowns in separate columns. I can't help you without knowing the model year of your Firehawk.
Old 09-18-2019, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone know how to find out which Build # collector 2002 Edition by VIN number?
A friend of mine wants to see if she has the last Collector car built, she got it in February of 2003 and had ordered it in early August 2002 and I know the last build was August 27th 2002. So She has to be the last one if not one of the last few ever built. Just trying to determine from her VIN which build she has. I see tons of numbers and build info but nothing that definitively tells you which Collector car you have out of the 2391 built and 1 was destroyed and scrapped at the factory so only 2390 were shipped, 2000 to the states and 390 to Canadian buyers.
Her VIN number build is 136153. On the registry i saw no 2002 collector car has a VIN number as high as this. Closest I found was 133660 but no mention which collector car out of the 2390 that was.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

J
Old 09-19-2019, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jennifur
Does anyone know how to find out which Build # collector 2002 Edition by VIN number?
A friend of mine wants to see if she has the last Collector car built, she got it in February of 2003 and had ordered it in early August 2002 and I know the last build was August 27th 2002. So She has to be the last one if not one of the last few ever built. Just trying to determine from her VIN which build she has. I see tons of numbers and build info but nothing that definitively tells you which Collector car you have out of the 2391 built and 1 was destroyed and scrapped at the factory so only 2390 were shipped, 2000 to the states and 390 to Canadian buyers.
Her VIN number build is 136153. On the registry i saw no 2002 collector car has a VIN number as high as this. Closest I found was 133660 but no mention which collector car out of the 2390 that was.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

J
Good question, that I don't think I can answer. I could be wrong, but didn't the CEs have a build# plaque on the dash somewhere that stated this? Or am I thinking of the 30ths?

There may be a CE Registry somewhere that could help determine where this car falls in the production, but it would only contain the cars that are registered there, which would be <100% of them.
Old 09-24-2019, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Good question, that I don't think I can answer. I could be wrong, but didn't the CEs have a build# plaque on the dash somewhere that stated this? Or am I thinking of the 30ths?

There may be a CE Registry somewhere that could help determine where this car falls in the production, but it would only contain the cars that are registered there, which would be <100% of them.

Johnny,
You are correct, I found a CE Registry and there were only 3 or 4 cars registered there and one had their build number. The build number VIN of that car was something like 133660 where as my girlfriends car is 136153 so her VIN number sequentially is quite a bit higher than the one from the CE registry I found. So with only 2390 of these built and shipped, it has to be every Firebird built because her VIN is about 2500 cars later numerically and another cars VIN showed a 124xxx VIN number so that was probably one of the first ones off the assembly line. Now my girlfriend ordered her car and it was delivered in February of 2003 and her order went in the first few days of August 2002. So probably just a few days before the factory closed down for the 2002 model year and started producing 2003 model year cars, obviously since the Camaro and Firebirds went POOF hers should be one of the last ones built if not THE last one. Thats what I am trying to determine, if she has the last CE car built. If that is true then her car is worth quite a bit of coin being the last CE ever built and most likely one of the last birds ever built because the assembly plant would have to retool for the 2003 model year and not sure what cars were built at this plant after the carmaro and firebirds finished production but since through time, September is when most manufacturers start building cars for the next calendar year and a good chunk if not all of the month of August the factories get re-tooled, and setup for new cars, changes to existing cars, additional trim levels and new options for existing cars etc.

So what would you think her car is worth if in fact it is THE last CE ever built and probably one of the last Trans Ams ever built
Car is garage kept since new and I think it only has bout 16 thousand miles on it and gets driven around her development about 1 or 1 1/2 miles 1 or 2 times a month to keep the fluids flowing through the trans, rear axle, brake fluid, master cylinder, calipers, bearings, steering, cooling system, Alternator, water pump everything so nothing can dry rot and or fail from sitting. Having a car sit for 30-ish plus years will make it completely destroyed. But by driving it here and there and keeping it running, oils and fluids flowing and such, getting it to operating temps keeps the fluids from breaking down and getting destroyed etc. So she also replaces the tires every 10 years even though they are still just about new tread depth wise, but they dry rot and not worth taking a chance of destroying a rim or worse and cracking up the car, and in the summer and fall she takes it out once in a blue mood to her kids house or to a mini makeshift car show etc. But it primarily drives around her housing development for a few minutes and gets up to operating temp 1 to 2 times a month. Still smells like a brand new car as well since its in the garage under a car cover to keep all the weather stripping soft and pliable and in good shape. She takes excellent care of the car. Still has all original parts on it, no headers, no afternarket exhaust, stock paper air filters, AC Delco oil filter and all that and she did switch to Mobile 1 when she first got it and changed the oil the day after she got it to mobile 1 and then at 300 miles another mobile 1 and then 500 miles mobile 1 and now she changes the oil 2 times a year with mobile 1 full synthetic and does axle and transmission services every 3 years, new tires every 10 -11 years, new brake fluid and coolant every 5 years and keeps up with the maintenance even though the car is rarely driven anymore and gets about 150-200 miles a year on it. (drove it more when it was new but since then its been garaged and tucked away hopefully becoming more valuable as time passes) Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Jenni
Old 09-25-2019, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

I'm surprised (and depressed) that there were only a handful of CEs registered in the CE registry. There's more CEs than that in the WS6 registry here.

The last Firebird off the line in St. Therese in '02 was a red T/A 'vert, this is well documented (I have pics somewhere at home). I think GM kept this car in their collection. The last Camaro was a red Z28 coupe (I saw it's "placeholder" auctioned off at the ACD auction in Sept '02). I don't recall what replaced the F-bodies at the St. Therese plant in '03.

You are correct that the VIN# sequence includes ALL Firebirds since they come down the same line, regardless of trim or body style.

I can't give you a guess on your G/F's car's value, but my gut feeling is that its place in line WRT the VIN# is a minor factor compared to its condition, mileage, # of owners, modifications, etc. Certainly, if it IS the last CE built (and ONLY if), I suspect that this won't influence its value much until it is at least 35 years old (at which time, there will be much fewer CEs in similar condition on the market). The biggest challenge I see here is being able to PROVE that its the last CE built with enough credibility to sway a potential buyer to cough-up a little more $$. I suspect you will need to obtain ASC's build records for the CEs to determine the VIN# of the last one built (and even then, since all WS6s were routed out of the factory to ASC for the WS6 conversion before coming back to the factory for final assembly, the "last one off the line" may not necessarily have the highest VIN#).

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 09-25-2019 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks to @JohnnyBs98WS6Rag 1998 Firebird Breakdown on transamworld.com I just realized my trans am is a "1 of 1" over the last 5.5 years I have visited that site several times looking at the data. Did not realize that option Keyless Entry (AU0) was rare on convertibles, learn something everyday. It was neat to know it was 1 of 22 for the top/color combo but having the only 1998 WS6 vert is kind of neat.

Update: checked my RPO codes....no AU0 (or UA6).....strange, need to investigate this. My guess dealer installed keyless, alarm and trunk release?

Last edited by y2k600f4; 01-16-2020 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by y2k600f4
Update: checked my RPO codes....no AU0 (or UA6).....strange, need to investigate this. My guess dealer installed keyless, alarm and trunk release?
Now that you mention AU0 / Keyless Entry, I have a feeling that the keyless entry system for 'verts used a different RPO code or didn't have one (since it is included w/ Y82/Y84 T/A package). That's the only reason I can think of that explains why CompNine's database shows only 1 '98 WS6 'vert having it. Mine has keyless entry, but I didn't find an RPO on my car that indicate it has it (no AU0 on my car).
Old 01-16-2020, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now that you mention AU0 / Keyless Entry, I have a feeling that the keyless entry system for 'verts used a different RPO code or didn't have one (since it is included w/ Y82/Y84 T/A package). That's the only reason I can think of that explains why CompNine's database shows only 1 '98 WS6 'vert having it. Mine has keyless entry, but I didn't find an RPO on my car that indicate it has it (no AU0 on my car).
Thanks for the info! Totally makes sense.....just spent some time going through all my RPOs and I did not find anything regarding an RPO for remote or alarm.

Old 01-17-2020, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

A little more info on the AU0 RPO for keyless entry mystery.

From '93-'97, it was an option on Firebirds, Formulas and T/A, even on 'verts. Starting in '96, ALL T/A 'verts had AU0.

In '98-'02, it remained an option on Firebird coupes and Formula coupes, but ALL T/A coupes had RPO AU0. None of the 'verts received RPO AU0, but I suspect all 'verts had keyless entry (with little doubt, all T/A 'verts had keyless entry since it appeared to be standard equipment on T/A 'verts starting in '96). A couple of exceptions here: The two oddball '98 Formula 'verts received RPO AU0, as did one '98 T/A 'vert (possibly a very early build or pre-production car before the RPO coding "rules" changed between '97 and '98). I should also note that ALL '02 Formula coupes received RPO AU0 (I suspect keyless entry became standard on Formulas in '02).

Bottom line, since keyless entry became standard equipment on T/A 'verts starting in '96, it is likely it became standard equipment on ALL 'verts starting in '98, thus it was no longer necessary to include RPO AU0 (the code, not the physical option) on 'verts in '98+.

The following users liked this post:
y2k600f4 (01-17-2020)
Old 04-25-2020, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Hey guys, I'm looking at all these numbers ( http://www.transamworld.com/2002-breakdown.htm ) and I can't seem to figure out how to tell how rare my car is. For instance I see that they only made 833 Trans-Am coupes in Sebring Silver in 2002 but they made 12,703 auto coupes. Now I know that some of those silvers were manual, so how do I eliminate that from my count? Any help would be appreciated. I already decoded all of my RPO codes to see what it came with. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2020, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Shinobi Adam
Hey guys, I'm looking at all these numbers ( http://www.transamworld.com/2002-breakdown.htm ) and I can't seem to figure out how to tell how rare my car is. For instance I see that they only made 833 Trans-Am coupes in Sebring Silver in 2002 but they made 12,703 auto coupes. Now I know that some of those silvers were manual, so how do I eliminate that from my count? Any help would be appreciated. I already decoded all of my RPO codes to see what it came with. Thanks.
The 12703 number includes all AT Firebirds (V6s & V8s together). Since you have a T/A coupe, the column under "Trans Am" and "Coupe (Y82)" pertains to your car (which is all T/A coupes, both WS6s and non-WS6s, including CETAs and Firehawks). If your car came w/ WS6, then the columns under "WS6 Coupe" would apply instead. Unfortunately, I did not break-down non-WS6, non-CETA or non-Firehawk Firebirds by transmission, although you can see rows under "Drivetrain" on the left-most column that show that 4936 T/A coupes had AT.

The best way to determine how many Silver T/A coupes were made, take the 833 (# of Silver T/A coupes), subtract the silver WS6s (632) and the silver Firehawks (61), which leaves 140 Silver '02 T/A coupes that were not WS6s or Firehawks. As for how many of those had AT, you can only estimate by percentages, here are 2 ways to do this (there are other methods.....but these are easiest to explain):

1) Assume that the MT/AT split for all T/A coupes is the same for all colors: Take the 833 (# of silver T/A coupes) * 4936 (# of T/A coupes w/ AT) / 10534 (# of T/A coupes) = 390. Now subtract out the known # of silver WS6 and Firehawk coupes w/ AT (278 and 19 respectively) = 93

2) Assume that the MT/AT split for silver WS6s is the same for the 140 silver T/A coupes calculated above: Take 37 (# of silver WS6 coupes w/ AT) / 62 (# of silver WS6 coupes) * 140 (# of silver T/A coupes) = 84

As you can see, unless your particular category of car has been explicitly broken-down by transmission & color, you can only estimate the number, and various methods result in various answers depending on the assumptions made. I do regret not having broken down non-WS6 Firebirds by transmission like I did for the Z28s when I created the Camaro breakdowns, but by the time I had completed generating the Camaro breakdowns, CompNine had cracked-down on unfettered access to their database.

The best way to get to the number you are after, is (assuming CompNine still does this) use CompNine to look up your VIN and RPO list. They used to allow you to de-select RPOs for calculating rarity, if this feature is still present in their GUI, de-select everything except Y82, 13U and MX0 (T/A coupe, silver and AT respectively). Then it should tell you how many cars were built with this combination but it will still include those cars w/ WS6 and WU6, look those up on the breakdown table and subtract that from the number CompNine gives you.

** Keep in mind that for the '02 MY, CompNine's database appears to be missing 7360 Firebirds, so the actual "rarity" numbers derived from their database will more than likely be lower than actual.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 04-27-2020 at 01:11 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Shinobi Adam (04-27-2020)
Old 04-27-2020, 01:45 PM
Teching In

Hey, thanks a lot Johnny! That was super helpful and totally makes sense! I didn't think about subtracting from the totals and creating averages. I feel kinda dumb. I'm in AZ. It's already hitting 100 degrees out and I manage a 4 bay shop so it's still 90 inside. Maybe my brain isn't working right. Haha. I will definitely check out CompNine. Thanks again!
Old 04-27-2020, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

IS there anywhere to get a reprint or newer version of the original door sticker. Vin: 2G2FV22G9Y2123876 for what ever reason, repair or repaint mine is long gone. Would this be the location to ask about that?

Quick Reply: Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!