Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2020, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by slonlow2000
IS there anywhere to get a reprint or newer version of the original door sticker. Vin: 2G2FV22G9Y2123876 for what ever reason, repair or repaint mine is long gone. Would this be the location to ask about that?
I had heard of places that produces "reproduction" RPO decals that match your VIN, but I'm not sure how accurate (or legal) that is to do. When my car was hit in the driver's door back in '99, I had the repair shop cut out all of the decals from the original door shell before it was discarded, so I still have my RPO decal in a zip-lock. Short of that, a print-out of your RPO codes from a GM dealership or CompNine that also shows your VIN# should be sufficient to prove what options your car was built with.

Here's one place that provides replacement decals, and another.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 04-28-2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maple red metallic t/a

Hey! New to the group. I have a 02 T/A Maple Red Metallic. Less than 75k on it. 6 speed with hurst shifter. Black leather and t tops. Just wondering what kind of car I have. As far as production numbers..idk. No upgrades as of yet.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Reddragon02
Hey! New to the group. I have a 02 T/A Maple Red Metallic. Less than 75k on it. 6 speed with hurst shifter. Black leather and t tops. Just wondering what kind of car I have. As far as production numbers..idk. No upgrades as of yet.
According to CompNine's database (*) there were 10,534 T/A coupes built in '02, of those 5598 of them had M6, 8019 had black leather interior, and only 93 of them were MRM (the rarest color that year). As you should know, for '98 up, all T/A coupes had T-tops as they were standard equipment on a T/A.

(*) CompNine's database is missing many units for the '02 MY, another source shows that a total of 16,174 T/A coupes were built in '02 (no further breakdown beyond that), so the above numbers are on the low side of actual.
Old 05-22-2020, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Zabo
Came across a 1996 Trans Am WS6, 6 speed car in Quasar Blue. Ran it through Compnine and SLP/SVE and it's legit on those databases (#0651) but the compounded file breakdown on the Trans Am World database doesn't show any WS6 cars built in 1996 Quasar Blue.

Any idea if I'm dealing with a Unicorn?
Man, I can't believe I didn't reply to this old post (from '17). At the time that my breakdowns were generated from CompNine's database (where T/A World's come from), they didn't show any '96 WS6s being built with RPO 80U (Med Quasar Blue). However, I also noted that CompNine's database at that time was missing a significant number of '96 MY units compared to other data sources. So its quite probable that these MQB WS6s were among the missing 521 WS6s (and it is possible that CompNine's database has been updated since then too). Maybe when I retire I'll buy a membership to access CompNine's database and update my breakdowns.

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 05-22-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-30-2020, 10:06 PM
Teching In

So I would like to be able to figure out the rarity of my WS6. I have looked thought the file you posted and it is awesome thank you... Is there a way for me to figure out how many with my exact combo there are from the file you posted? 1997 trans am ws6 m6 T top "Dark yellow green met" paint code 48u. with the 6 speaker package, light gray leather interior with AQ9 lux seats,, Monsoon w/ CD (W55), 1SA what ever that means,Uplift Spoiler (T43)"... Vin # is 2G2FV22P3V2227663... I was told it was a rare combo... I will do the process of figuring it out if told how, if there is an easier way I'd love to know .... Thanks in advance, I just ran my numbers on compnine interesting info but I'm not sure it added much valve

Last edited by Josh Babb; 07-30-2020 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Josh Babb
So I would like to be able to figure out the rarity of my WS6. I have looked thought the file you posted and it is awesome thank you... Is there a way for me to figure out how many with my exact combo there are from the file you posted? 1997 trans am ws6 m6 T top "Dark yellow green met" paint code 48u. with the 6 speaker package, light gray leather interior with AQ9 lux seats,, Monsoon w/ CD (W55), 1SA what ever that means,Uplift Spoiler (T43)"... Vin # is 2G2FV22P3V2227663... I was told it was a rare combo... I will do the process of figuring it out if told how, if there is an easier way I'd love to know .... Thanks in advance, I just ran my numbers on compnine interesting info but I'm not sure it added much valve
The only way to know exactly how many cars had that exact combination of ALL those RPOs is to use CompNine's database (assuming it still allows you to select RPOs to filter on..........its been years since I've used it). However, if you select ALL the RPOs your car has, CompNine will likely tell you that your car is 1 of 1 (nearly all cars are 1 of 1 or a small handful because one of the RPOs all cars have indicates the week of production, so all cars exactly like yours would not be counted if they were built on a different week, which is very misleading and results in a false number). The vast majority of folks who care about "rarity" consider only a handful of parameters that contribute to "rarity", those being: Model year, body style (coupe / vert) body trim (Formula / TA), engine, trans, exterior color. Nobody cares if your car has that ultra rare 2-speed auto, or the chrome plated cigar lighter. Having said that, what my breakdowns CAN tell you is:

Of the 1432 M6 WS6s built in '97, 88 had 48U dark green metallic, 946 had the W55 Monsoon, ALL of them had the T43 spoiler (it became standard on all T/As early in the '97 production run, only 49 non-WS6 T/As were built without it), and 1170 had the AQ9 seats. So what makes your car rare is the 48U DGM paint (1 of 88), which happens to be the most rare color used on '97 WS6s (only 4 colors were offered that year).

Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 07-31-2020 at 09:00 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. I dont really care too much about the rarity, but i do think it is neat to know... I have already swapped in a 6L LS and a 4l80E and put a ford 9" in it so it certainly isnt a virgin car but I thought it was neat to know.... Thanks again
Old 02-23-2021, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats the car I have.
Old 10-18-2021, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey gang - like everyone else I can't seem to pin this down. I did see somewhere on here that somebody had posted a phone number they used to call GM and they gave them all sorts of info... but I can't find it now. Anyway here's what I have:
  • 1998 Formula
  • AT
  • Black
  • 3.23 gears
  • Monsoon cassette
  • T-tops
  • Pewter cloth
  • Security sys / keyless
  • Ram air
Old 10-18-2021, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Underwear
Hey gang - like everyone else I can't seem to pin this down. I did see somewhere on here that somebody had posted a phone number they used to call GM and they gave them all sorts of info... but I can't find it now. Anyway here's what I have:
  • 1998 Formula
  • AT
  • Black
  • 3.23 gears
  • Monsoon cassette
  • T-tops
  • Pewter cloth
  • Security sys / keyless
  • Ram air
There were a total of 90 A4 WS4 Formulas built in '98, 46 were black (41U), 80 had T-tops (CC1/DE4), 86 had the keyless entry (AU0), 22 had the Monsoon w/ cassette (W54), 43 had pewter cloth (14B/14D). ALL A4-equipped WS6s had the 3.23 rear (GU5).

There's a sticky thread in the Specialty cars section w/ contact info for a guy from ASC who can provide your ASC conversion # and date.
Old 10-18-2021, 09:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
There were a total of 90 A4 WS4 Formulas built in '98, 46 were black (41U), 80 had T-tops (CC1/DE4), 86 had the keyless entry (AU0), 22 had the Monsoon w/ cassette (W54), 43 had pewter cloth (14B/14D). ALL A4-equipped WS6s had the 3.23 rear (GU5).

There's a sticky thread in the Specialty cars section w/ contact info for a guy from ASC who can provide your ASC conversion # and date.
You rock thanks Johnny!
Old 10-18-2021, 12:01 PM
Teching In

BTW am I deciphering this right? Given that criteria I have one of 22? I don't think I'd go around touting that based on the radio, but when you get down to it I guess that's what it says huh..
Old 10-19-2021, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

BTW am I deciphering this right? Given that criteria I have one of 22? I don't think I'd go around touting that based on the radio, but when you get down to it I guess that's what it says huh..
True, the radio option is not what most people consider a "rarity-defining" item. Model (Formula), drivetrain (A4) and any performance option (WS6) is what is most commonly used to define rarity, then maybe body color if it is something rare like BPM (Purple) or SGM (Gold). But the fact remains that the Monsoon/Cassette was a much less common option than the standard Monsoon w/ CD (which the other 68 WS6 A4 '98 Formulas had).
Old 10-19-2021, 03:19 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Looking at this listing:
http://www.transamworld.com/2001-breakdown.htm

My 2001 Formula 75th Anniversary edition is 1 of 231

They also have a breakdowns for other years:
http://www.transamworld.com/break-down.htm

(sorry if already posted in this thread and I missed it)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:06 PM
Teching In

True, the radio option is not what most people consider a "rarity-defining" item. Model (Formula), drivetrain (A4) and any performance option (WS6) is what is most commonly used to define rarity, then maybe body color if it is something rare like BPM (Purple) or SGM (Gold). But the fact remains that the Monsoon/Cassette was a much less common option than the standard Monsoon w/ CD (which the other 68 WS6 A4 '98 Formulas had).
Helpful thanks dude. Looking at the above breakdown (for 1998) I realized I snafu'd my original post. I DO have Ram Air, but it was added by the dealer and not an SLP / ASC install. So while I'm getting similar benefits and stuff it's still not an actual WS6 (and I'm definitely not going around claiming that lol). However it takes me back full circle to trying to narrow to production numbers. Here's what I have (revised... plus Trans Am World data):
  • 1998 Formula (2,200)
  • AT (1,515)
  • Black (617)
  • 3.23 gears (552)
  • Monsoon cassette (312)
  • T-tops (1,610)
  • Pewter cloth (1,451)
  • Security sys / keyless (1864)
  • Ram air (dealer-installed, not SLP / ASC WS6)
I checked CompNine as well and got all the RPOs plus the numbers produced with each across all levels that year. Odd... 6ZL, 7ZL turned up, and only 6% of Fbodys got those in 1998. Not sure what those are, springs maybe? Anyway, it appears they pulled the ability to filter and compare across all car RPOs. Guess I can try to call them, they obviously have all of the data.

If I use what I know (for now) from CompNine and TA World, and considering the "main" rarity defining items (specifically 1998, Formula, AT w/ 3.23, Ttops, Black) I'm directionally 1 of 78. Seems low, but figuring they only made 2,200 Formulas in 1998 to begin with it also seems plausible.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Ok I figured it out. To get to CompNine's rarity data you have to select the next tier up (there are 4 that you can pay for). You can't just do the $5 deal for 5 VINs... you have to bump it up to the $15/mo deal (which you can then just cancel unless you want to keep using it). Anyway, here's a few highlights I learned:
  • If I do like a lot of people do and pick every flippin' RPO I have, it's 1 of 1. If I remove only the W54 RPO (Monsoon Cassette) I'm still 1 of 2. Either way, I'm not going around saying it's 1 of 1 or 1 of 2... while it may be factually correct and sorta interesting to me personally, I don't feel comfortable touting that. Maybe 50 years from now that'll mean more, but not now.
  • If I go with the big "normal" RPOs (1998 Formula, AT w/ 3.23, Ttops, Black) I'm 1 of 70. Interesting because my "directional math" above guesstimated I'd be at 1 of 78 before I discovered this CompNine nuance... so pretty dang close. For those who don't feel like paying for the real data I suppose you could do what I did and crunch the numbers yourself - if you're ok with ballpark numbers.

Last edited by Underwear; 11-27-2021 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Helpful thanks dude. Looking at the above breakdown (for 1998) I realized I snafu'd my original post. I DO have Ram Air, but it was added by the dealer and not an SLP / ASC install. So while I'm getting similar benefits and stuff it's still not an actual WS6 (and I'm definitely not going around claiming that lol). However it takes me back full circle to trying to narrow to production numbers. Here's what I have (revised... plus Trans Am World data):
  • 1998 Formula (2,200)
  • AT (1,515)
  • Black (617)
  • 3.23 gears (552)
  • Monsoon cassette (312)
  • T-tops (1,610)
  • Pewter cloth (1,451)
  • Security sys / keyless (1864)
  • Ram air (dealer-installed, not SLP / ASC WS6)
I checked CompNine as well and got all the RPOs plus the numbers produced with each across all levels that year. Odd... 6ZL, 7ZL turned up, and only 6% of Fbodys got those in 1998. Not sure what those are, springs maybe? Anyway, it appears they pulled the ability to filter and compare across all car RPOs. Guess I can try to call them, they obviously have all of the data.

If I use what I know (for now) from CompNine and TA World, and considering the "main" rarity defining items (specifically 1998, Formula, AT w/ 3.23, Ttops, Black) I'm directionally 1 of 78. Seems low, but figuring they only made 2,200 Formulas in 1998 to begin with it also seems plausible.

Thoughts?

UPDATE: Ok I figured it out. To get to CompNine's rarity data you have to select the next tier up (there are 4 that you can pay for). You can't just do the $5 deal for 5 VINs... you have to bump it up to the $15/mo deal (which you can then just cancel unless you want to keep using it). Anyway, here's a few highlights I learned:
  • If I do like a lot of people do and pick every flippin' RPO I have, it's 1 of 1. If I remove only the W54 RPO (Monsoon Cassette) I'm still 1 of 2. Either way, I'm not going around saying it's 1 of 1 or 1 of 2... while it may be factually correct and sorta interesting to me personally, I don't feel comfortable touting that. Maybe 50 years from now that'll mean more, but not now.
  • If I go with the big "normal" RPOs (1998 Formula, AT w/ 3.23, Ttops, Black) I'm 1 of 70. Interesting because my "directional math" above guesstimated I'd be at 1 of 78 before I discovered this CompNine nuance... so pretty dang close. For those who don't feel like paying for the real data I suppose you could do what I did and crunch the numbers yourself - if you're ok with ballpark numbers.
Good post! And its only your 4th here? Well done.

Not only did you elaborate on the use of CompNine's database (and I'm glad to hear that it still allows you to choose RPOs to filter for determination of the number of cars with the same combination of RPOs.........even if it is at an elevated price), but you helped explain why it is important to filter on only those "rarity defining" RPOs that otherwise leads one to conclude that a car is unbelievably more rare than it actually is. I suspect that the 6ZL and 7ZL type RPOs may indicate the week of the year of production, which would highly contribute to the misconception that a given car is a 1 of 1 (something I've been cautioning folks about using CompNine's database for years). You also illustrated the shortcomings of "using the percentages" to estimate the rarity of a car; it gets you close, but its not an exact number.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:23 AM
Teching In

Good post! And its only your 4th here? Well done.

Not only did you elaborate on the use of CompNine's database (and I'm glad to hear that it still allows you to choose RPOs to filter for determination of the number of cars with the same combination of RPOs.........even if it is at an elevated price), but you helped explain why it is important to filter on only those "rarity defining" RPOs that otherwise leads one to conclude that a car is unbelievably more rare than it actually is. I suspect that the 6ZL and 7ZL type RPOs may indicate the week of the year of production, which would highly contribute to the misconception that a given car is a 1 of 1 (something I've been cautioning folks about using CompNine's database for years). You also illustrated the shortcomings of "using the percentages" to estimate the rarity of a car; it gets you close, but its not an exact number.
Thanks!

Love this stuff... it's like being a detective. Trying to do the same thing with my brother's K5 Blazer but CompNine didn't have anything - so having to go thru GM Heritage for that.
Old 12-06-2021, 08:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

Morning... Found what i consider to be a rare 97 WS6 Formula that i am considering purchasing for a Christmas present to myself. Hard top, M6... She's a sleeper w heads,cam, moser12 bolt w 373's, full suspension, Tq arm, SFC's, etc... All i need to do is tint the windows... lol... Going to snag this little gem up...

Old 12-07-2021, 06:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01Z0H6
Morning... Found what i consider to be a rare 97 WS6 Formula that i am considering purchasing for a Christmas present to myself. Hard top, M6... She's a sleeper w heads,cam, moser12 bolt w 373's, full suspension, Tq arm, SFC's, etc... All i need to do is tint the windows... lol... Going to snag this little gem up...
This car looks familiar for some reason. In any case, CompNine shows a total of 482 '97 Formula WS6 coupes were built, 288 were M6s. Of those, 121 were HTs, 127 were black, and none of them had the 702/703 red interior (this appears to have been changed). Interestingly, only 2 '97 Firebirds were built w/ a red leather interior (both were T/A coupes). These may have been '96 orders fulfilled by '97 MY cars. There were quite a few more '96 Firebirds w/ red interiors, but only 8 Formulas.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 95 Likes on 75 Posts

I was mistaken Johnny... It is in fact a 96... w t tops... M6, Formula WS6 w Red guts...

Quick Reply: Firebird Production Number, Color Breakouts, Options, Etc.....POST QUESTIONS HERE!