Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Differences between firebird and T/A

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what a bout 3.8 grand nationals did ok with the old 3.8 why not now?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was gonna trade in my pontiac for a vette and my insurance was gonna be cheaper with the vette too...i was like hell yeah!!! then i decided to keep my car
Old 09-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

If your late on house payments, get a Schwinn. There is a real-world perspective for you

FWD cars will handle different, perhaps you were to used to your "2002 Firehawk" and since you already owned 2 Firebirds I'm suprised that you know very little about them. Why would the suspension be the same in cars that have different size motors? What design team did you say you were on?

A .85 on the skidpad is not bad and the GP GXP outperforms all cars in its class. It weighs less than the GTO (and the LS-4 is lighter than the 3.8 sc mill) and will do 5.7 sec 0-60 while getting 17/28 mpg. Im sorry you didnt like it but you are in the minority there. It is the last V-8 Pontiac made on this continent so Im keeping mine
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2008 GXP
If your late on house payments, get a Schwinn. There is a real-world perspective for you

FWD cars will handle different, perhaps you were to used to your "2002 Firehawk" and since you already owned 2 Firebirds I'm suprised that you know very little about them. Why would the suspension be the same in cars that have different size motors? What design team did you say you were on?

A .85 on the skidpad is not bad and the GP GXP outperforms all cars in its class. It weighs less than the GTO (and the LS-4 is lighter than the 3.8 sc mill) and will do 5.7 sec 0-60 while getting 17/28 mpg. Im sorry you didnt like it but you are in the minority there. It is the last V-8 Pontiac made on this continent so Im keeping mine
09 G8s will be built here.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:57 PM
Staging Lane

I owned a 96 bird before I got the 99 TA. I had cloth seats, drum brakes, 200 hp, 4pd auto, cassette w/12 disc changer, and T-tops. Not the fastest car on the lot but at the time 200 hp was great for cheaper model. I got about 300 to 360 mpg, depending on how I drove it. Had a lead foot back then still do now. Just make sure you get what you want, test drive it first to see how it feels, I still kinda miss the ol v6.
Old 09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nicholas_Bostaph

1) The car drives like an SUV.

2) my head just barely doesn't rub against the ceiling.

3) However, some genius decided to make the emergency brake on the GXP a foot pedal, so now I have to add in a step of using my foot to relieve the brake, which requires enough force to lift my body (I'm light),

4) There's no rear hatch. Instead there's a relatively small rear window with limited visibility.

5) Comfort. The seats don't hug and hold you like my TA's did. The seats aren't nearly as comfortable as my TA's were. The center console is so far back I can't rest my elbow there and still reach the wheel while driving, so I have no way to stabilize myself; I tend to drive with my right hand outstretched and pressing against the passenger seat now (or drive really slow). The air vents direct air too harshly so I need to run my AC/heat stronger and longer than normal since I have them all blowing away from me. Because I have my seat so far up to deal with item 2 it's nearly impossible to get in and out of the car without being extremely careful, and even then likely bumping something. The climate control is slooooow; once you redirect air it takes 5-10 seconds for the air to actually start going the new route. The sunroof lets in way less light than the T-tops and is ill-positioned; my car feels dark and dungeon-like. I feel like I’m riding 30 feet up in the air instead of close to the road, and my seat doesn’t go down anymore.

6) User friendliness. The dual climate control doesn't have a ****, so I often find myself spending 30 seconds pressing an up or down button 30 times (only 2/3 are registered) to change from AC to heat. The head unit displays too few characters, so reading what you're listening to takes a huge amount of time directing your attention away from the road. There is no button to scroll through the radio tag information faster (the 'info' button just brings up an error) and the text often skips part of the title/artist. The 'random' function on the head unit jumps from CD to CD, and I could find no way to turn it on just for the current disc. There's no Aux input jack for my iPhone. There're less speakers than my TA, so I can't design as good of an aftermarket system, and the ugly speaker in the center of the dash makes music sound screechy and painful at even moderate volumes. The DIC can show only one piece of information at a time, while there are several important readings in there that really should have their own gauge on the dash. There's no third cup holder like my TA had, so when I get a drink I have to move either my wallet or my phone to free one up. The back seats aren't really bucket seats, so whereas my two CD binders would sit comfortably in one back seat never moving in my TA, they fly all over the place in the GXP and usually end up on the floor and out of reach.
1. I don't agree with this one, the GXP is supposed to be a better suspension than the CompG 3800 SC that I have. Did you buy this vehicle used or new? Mine is lively right off wheel center and doesn't really roll all that much at all. Real stiff. Nothing like an SUV. Overall I think it has more travel than a TA though.

2. Everyone complains about the head room. Agree with you on that. I added a cd holder that hooks onto the visor and if I where a hat the brim hits my visor unless I move the seat back. The farther the seat goes back, the more head room you get....except for us with stubish legs that isn't a problem.

3. Unless I'm on a hill or doing a burnout I don't use the hand brake.

4. Although hard to back up I find the rear-window to be pretty big, then again I learned to drive on a 98 deville so this thing seemed to give more situation awareness. You can a lot out that with the rear view mirror. I have on more than one occasion not "looked" 100% in my mirror and got a honk merging left. Since I took care and readjusted my mirrors I'm good to go.

I don't seem to have the hand location problems you do. The driver door has a perfect shelf to rest ones arm, I seem to be ok with just my elbow on the center arm rest.

I have the simple to use non-digital climate control

Do you have the monsoon system? Try pulling out midrange and directing a bit of the sound to the rear. I love the sound system in my car. The screeching in songs was solved with some adjustments. The Jazz setting is pretty pure in nature.

I believe its either you hold random or press it twice to random a single CD on the monsoon system.

No cup holders for rear occupants sucks!

All in all however the versatility of the vehicle and large trunk are important, being in construction, I don't like trucks that much and this was the best option for me. I love it.

Anyway, back on topic, a V6 bird is a nice option for a DD driver because its obvious you love the vehicle. But at the same time a V8 Formula is pretty cheap on the market right now, and with a 6 speed would have great economy.

I guess test drives are key.

These cars aren't all the expensive until you start building them up for racing

Last edited by BigEd_98Formula; 09-14-2008 at 10:00 AM.