Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Question for G8 owners and snowy conditions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Too bad GM can't come into this century and get with all the other car mfg. that offer cars with all-wheel drive AND high power.

And they wonder why they are no longer #1, are not selling any cars, and going out of business???

I grew up driving 60's 70's cars with RWD in the snow - actually can't see how I ever made it anywhere (may be cause I was young and crazy then) after driving FWD cars for years - some years with snow/ice tires on all four wheels.

Anyone that states that a RWD car is as good as a FWD or AWD car in the snow has been smokin too many of those funny cigarettes...

My T/A is sideways on wet pavement (can't even imagine trying it in snow), no amount of weight in the rear or special tires is gonna change that.

I almost bought a G8 as it is a very good looking car, but I'm not about to keep my FWD car to set in the drive and use only when it snows. Plus the fact that when I was looking to buy, despite the seriously bad shape GM was in, they were not budging or offering any deals on the G8. We have had (3) seperate long time GM dealerships here in my area close their doors forever - wonder how the 'hard-nosed' pricing is gonna look to the 1000's of UAW workers that are gonna get a LONG vacation without pay? Say hello to the cheese line fellas!

I have no sympathy for people, especially in our poor economic times, that refuse to take any concessions, practice the 'job bank' option wherein an employee that has nothing to do for whatever reason can set and play cards in a room for full pay, or expect to get full company benefits after they retire to the day they die

Good luck to them all - I will be buying a 3-Series BMW with X-Drive, MUCH better quality car, WAY better warranty, and all for slightly more than the asking price of a G8...

BTW, after GM has received bailout $$ from MY tax dollars - I expect that they owe ME a free car
Old 02-04-2009, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Anyone that states that a RWD car is as good as a FWD or AWD car in the snow has been smokin too many of those funny cigarettes...
Sorry nothing funny here. AWD wins hands down..but FWD isn't some magic its only marginally better and maybe not even (do a google search lots of studies).

My T/A is sideways on wet pavement (
Good tires..and you have quite a bit of power, I imagine you have traction issues on DRY pavement.

I have no sympathy for people, especially in our poor economic times, that refuse to take any concessions, practice the 'job bank' option wherein an employee that has nothing to do for whatever reason can set and play cards in a room for full pay, or expect to get full company benefits after they retire to the day they die

BTW, after GM has received bailout $$ from MY tax dollars - I expect that they owe ME a free car
Yep its not like they are partying in Vegas or anything. After all the banks got 50 times the money I expect they owe me a free HOUSE.

expect to get full company benefits after they retire to the day they die
Why? Because that's what they signed up for (both GM and the workers). It was part of their job compensation and contract. It'd be like saying well company has it tough now, give back your 401k matching.....or worse yet all your 401k.

I will be buying a 3-Series BMW with X-Drive, MUCH better quality car, WAY better warranty, and all for slightly more than the asking price of a G8...
Its not much better in quality, it doesn't have a better warranty, and its bit more than slight. But you get the pride of knowing you helped destroy an american industry.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

I'm liking the free house idea And if I was the gov't, I would take back every penny that was given out to the companies that spend the money friviously in any way, such as some of the crap that has been reported recently. Gov't would have been better off giving every tax paying citizen $30-50k with that bailout money to boost the economy. And as far as bailout for mortgage defaulters go - why do the people that bought a house that they knew they couldn't afford get helped out vs. myself that pays mortgage on time for years. No one twisted their arms to buy those houses, just because someone 'allows' you to qualify for something out of your range doesn't mean you jump on it expecting someone else to pull your *** out of the fire in the end. I have grown tired of paying for people that aren't making as much $$ as I do, or don't have all the toys I do - after all I don't see any rich people paying for a yacht for me, or private jets, or Ferraris. I didn't just luck into my job - I worked hard to get where I am.

Well I disagree with ya on the last issue. I've owned mainly GM cars for the 32 years I have been driving (total of 10 GM cars, 2 Dodge, 1 Chrysler, 1 Ford), some better than others, but the BMW quality of materials used, fit and finish is better. I've done my part as far as supporting an American company goes in my opinion.

BMW warranty is 5yrs and all inclusive (cept for tires), even includes brake pads, light bulbs, WS wiper blades, etc. - not that those are big ticket items, but they are considered wear items by GM and up to customer to pay for. Plus you also get the 5yr BMW Assist Program for free which is akin to the GM Onstar, but includes much more - GM allows 1yr free for Onstar.

I can buy a new 328ix in my area for $36k loaded with everything but Nav System & iDrive. When I was in local GM showroom last looking to buy G8 - they were asking $34-35k and would not budge. Dealer pricing may be a problem only in my area - don't know, but I want to buy my cars from local dealer.

And as far as destroying an American Industry goes, GM needs no help from me with that - they have done a great job on their own. Customers spend their hard earned money on what they want - not based on whether company is American or not. I'm obviously not worried about the cost - just want to get as much as possible for that cost - if someone else has a better product for same amount - I'm going there. I would NEVER think of buying any Asian model car though...

I'm not paying for something I don't want just to keep a company afloat. After all, that's what America is all about, you have the right to succeed or fail based on your own performance.

OK rant is over
Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

they have done a great job on their own. Customers spend their hard earned money on what they want - not based on whether company is American or not.
Yes very true.

Its just a sensitive subject around these parts.

After all, that's what America is all about, you have the right to succeed or fail based on your own performance.
I think, sadly, that's changing....
Old 02-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Banned

Interesting thread.
I currently have a new Infiniti G35x (AWD, my 1st import) and am thinking about picking up a G8. I'm in the northeast and go to the mountains every weekend, so cold/wet/snow traction is a BIG concern.

FYI
I just picked up Goodyear Eagle GT all season tires in a 245/40/19 for $200ea on my G35x. It's the same optional OEM tire size for the G8.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

A set of four GOOD snow tires on a high hp RWD car makes a HUGE difference when compared to all season tires in deep snow and on icy roads. Highly recommend that you don't just slap winter tires on the drive wheels because it can throw off the handling on the car. Also since more braking force % is allocated to your front wheels, you will find you stop a lot quicker with snows on the front wheels too. I did back to back testing with 4 snows vs two back in December up here in snowy wisconsin on my Z28. FWIW
Old 03-10-2009, 04:10 PM
org
On The Tree

The warranty is the most important thing with a BMW.

Originally Posted by 1QUIKWS6
I'm liking the free house idea And if I was the gov't, I would take back every penny that was given out to the companies that spend the money friviously in any way, such as some of the crap that has been reported recently. Gov't would have been better off giving every tax paying citizen $30-50k with that bailout money to boost the economy. And as far as bailout for mortgage defaulters go - why do the people that bought a house that they knew they couldn't afford get helped out vs. myself that pays mortgage on time for years. No one twisted their arms to buy those houses, just because someone 'allows' you to qualify for something out of your range doesn't mean you jump on it expecting someone else to pull your *** out of the fire in the end. I have grown tired of paying for people that aren't making as much $$ as I do, or don't have all the toys I do - after all I don't see any rich people paying for a yacht for me, or private jets, or Ferraris. I didn't just luck into my job - I worked hard to get where I am.

Well I disagree with ya on the last issue. I've owned mainly GM cars for the 32 years I have been driving (total of 10 GM cars, 2 Dodge, 1 Chrysler, 1 Ford), some better than others, but the BMW quality of materials used, fit and finish is better. I've done my part as far as supporting an American company goes in my opinion.

BMW warranty is 5yrs and all inclusive (cept for tires), even includes brake pads, light bulbs, WS wiper blades, etc. - not that those are big ticket items, but they are considered wear items by GM and up to customer to pay for. Plus you also get the 5yr BMW Assist Program for free which is akin to the GM Onstar, but includes much more - GM allows 1yr free for Onstar.

I can buy a new 328ix in my area for $36k loaded with everything but Nav System & iDrive. When I was in local GM showroom last looking to buy G8 - they were asking $34-35k and would not budge. Dealer pricing may be a problem only in my area - don't know, but I want to buy my cars from local dealer.

And as far as destroying an American Industry goes, GM needs no help from me with that - they have done a great job on their own. Customers spend their hard earned money on what they want - not based on whether company is American or not. I'm obviously not worried about the cost - just want to get as much as possible for that cost - if someone else has a better product for same amount - I'm going there. I would NEVER think of buying any Asian model car though...

I'm not paying for something I don't want just to keep a company afloat. After all, that's what America is all about, you have the right to succeed or fail based on your own performance.

OK rant is over

Quick Reply: Question for G8 owners and snowy conditions